U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 03:07 AM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
When Ames went out of business I think Jamesway bought most of their stores. Or do I have that backwards? Anyway they are both gone now, along with Caldor which sold similar stuff to similar people.

I furnished most of my first apartment with stuff from Jamesway on Route 57 in Mansfield Twp, NJ.
My mother and I were trying to think of the name of Jamesway just a couple of days ago!! It's weird we couldn't think of it because the one we were remembering nostalgically was in Jamestown, NY. Our family used to vacation each July at Chautauqua Lake in Western NY. We were from a small town in PA that didn't have all that much shopping unless you drove or took a train 50+ miles to Pittsburgh. So our week in Chautauqua always included a dinner out and then a shopping spree at Jamesway. My parents loved going there and they always let us kids pick out something they would buy us to take home. Dad loved their sporting goods department. That's what Mom and I were reminiscing about the other day. How excited he would be to nab a new golf club at Jamesway. Good times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 03:18 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,729,333 times
Woolworths.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:11 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,578,951 times
KB Toys - in combination with Orange Julius were the only reasons I wanted to go to the mall!

(I know this is a fashion sub-forum, my inner child couldn't resist)

Old 04-21-2015, 06:05 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I remember the cafe at Woolworth's Waikiki
That's really something. Here's Walgreen's Grill (small potatoes compared to that cafe). When you
walked into the store, you had to by-pass part of the store and take the escalators down and would
find this diner (which many people didn't expect in this building).
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/258/oakroom.jpg

A few other places that are gone;
B Dalton
Crown Books
FAO Schwartz

Old 04-21-2015, 06:44 AM

4,626 posts, read 7,197,499 times
In New York:

A&S
Gimbels
Best & Co
Arnold Constable
Martins
B Altman & Co
Bonwit Teller
Gertz

New England

Jordan Marsh
Filene's

I hate, hate, hate Macy's!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,010,209 times
I also remember in the EARLY 90s there used to be a store in our Mall that sold computer software. I cant remember the name and I was like 6 or so but I remember thinking how dull and boring the store was and that these "computer" things would never be interesting to me....oh how times change.

Also Radio Shack was full of circuit boards and computer chips and wires of all kinds. Not toys and cell phones...

Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 AM

733 posts, read 605,662 times
D.H. Holmes. As featured in A Confederacy of Dunces! Very missed. New Orleans.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,247,490 times
Burdines and Jordan Marsh

Old 04-21-2015, 12:16 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,179,648 times
Macy's did a great job of killing off flagship independent department stores, usually just for the high downtown real estate value and not the store themselves. (that told to me by a high ranking Macy's employee I knew when they acquired Wanamaker's in Philly. When it happened, they got so many calls and letters about "were they going to save the famous Wanamaker organ?" that the employee told me they should just throw it away and who cares. Taught me volumes about Macy/Federated as a "caring" company.)
That said, I think most of those stores were on life support by the time Macy's acquired them anyway.
I truly wish Higbee's was still in Cleveland (where Ralphie asked Santa for the BB gun in A Christmas Story movie). And I arrived in town too late for fancy old Halle's (namesake of Cleveland's Halle Berry). But I've been in the building. Halle Berry is as beautiful as Halle's the store once was, from the looks of it.
Thank god Nordstrom's is still hanging on in select cities. Not many old school department stores left. We've truly changed as a shopping and retail culture.
And the late great downtown location of Ball Stores in Muncie, Indiana. Great childhood memory of a classy old store.
All this talk makes me want to watch an old episode of "Are You Being Served?"

Last edited by kpl1228; 04-21-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 12:35 PM

2,200 posts, read 1,445,367 times
BASCO/Best
Ben Franklin 5&10
Woolworth/Woolco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty