U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,187,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Many of those mentioned plus Petite Sophisticate
My tiny wife NEVER looked better. That store was the greatest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:23 PM

298 posts, read 582,401 times
J. L Hudsons in Detroit

Old 04-21-2015, 03:41 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,299,685 times
I like that picture of Jordan Marsh which reminds me of another show (someone mentioned Are You Being Served, which I loved). The current show is Mr. Selfridge--I loved the beginning of the first season when they were so focused on the grand opening. Even the building itself has class, and so do the wares and the customer service. In the Jordan Marsh photo above you can see the window displays--it just occurred to me I haven't even seen a store that has window displays in I can't think how long.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:59 PM

10 posts, read 11,574 times
Zany Brainy was such a cool toy store with all kinds of fun and unique toys and books for learning. I remember visiting there when I was 11 and it was such a cool experience! It made me really sad when they closed the whole chain( i think it was in either 2001 or 2002).

KB Toys was also one of my favorite stores to visit in the mall even as I got into college age. I remember my mouth just dropping open in shock when I saw the "Everything Must Go" signs posted up. 579, Body Central, and the One Price Store are also stores I will miss. They all had some really cute and affordable clothes and accessories (especially the One Price Store. All items were $7).

EB Games was one of my favorite stores in the mall as well. I loved buying used games for cheap there. All of them are now Game Stop(smh)

Rhino was another video game chain that had TONS of cheap games and loved it so much. I remember when they transitioned to Game Stop, they put all the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and Nintendo 64 games as low as a penny!!

ANY video store that was once around(Hollywood Video, Blockbuster, Movie Gallery, Video Warehouse, etc). I have fond memories of walking through the aisles and searching for Videos and Games with my dad. I remember I first got introduced to the original Japanese version of Sailor Moon at Hollywood Video(which is an AMAZING series btw lol)

And last but not least I cant forget Borders. My friends and I would spend a lot of time reading books there and hanging out until our movie started at the nearby movie theater. Ironically, Zany Brainy and Borders were both in the same shopping center(The Zany Brainy is now a Pier 1 and Borders is now a Ulta).

Last edited by bree89; 04-21-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 04:10 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,168,842 times
London Transit
Parisian
Pizitz

Old 04-21-2015, 04:32 PM

13,601 posts, read 16,127,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I used to pour over their catalogs....
What did you pour over them?
Didn't it do damage to those catalogs?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:56 PM

13,601 posts, read 16,127,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
B. Altman - great classic clothes in a well laid-out store
+1

I almost went into mourning when B. Altman went out of business.
All of their merchandise was of uniformly high quality, yet the prices were lower than at their competitors, such as Bonwit Teller, Saks 5th Avenue, and Lord & Taylor.

What most people never knew was that--during our lifetimes--the stores were run by a charity--The Benjamin R. Altman Charitable Foundation--and that the profits were equally divided every year among Catholic Charities, The United Jewish Appeal, and various Protestant charities. Because Benjamin Altman had no heirs, this is what he specified in his will, and as a result the stores never attempted to make an unconscionably high profit, and they treated their employees VERY well.

It was a sad day when B. Altman & Co. went out of business.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:28 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,079,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I like that picture of Jordan Marsh which reminds me of another show (someone mentioned Are You Being Served, which I loved). The current show is Mr. Selfridge--I loved the beginning of the first season when they were so focused on the grand opening. Even the building itself has class, and so do the wares and the customer service. In the Jordan Marsh photo above you can see the window displays--it just occurred to me I haven't even seen a store that has window displays in I can't think how long.
I was thinking the same when I looked through some old retail photos on a website. There are NO windows!!!! SO much is missing from b & m retailing today. Will there ever be windows? Will we ever have a "real" bookstore? I love all of the new, but I was thinking yesterday as I waited with my husband in a Verizon store for 30 minutes to just see a clerk to return an item, that something's gotta change. Shopping is just not that fun anymore, its almost like a chore at times, and the stores don't have that solid, been here forever, will be here forever feel that breeds confidence.

When I was a kid going into Marshall Field's on State street in Chicago (70's/80's), it seemed like most of the sales ladies were over 50, a bit intimidating but reassuring all the same. They had probably been there for decades and made a respectable wage. The building (beautiful architecture), the staff and the policies - well, most of them made shopping feel special.

Not so much now. Even the cheaper, budget type stores on State street were in former bldgs of grandeur and had a pleasant though chaotic feel. Compare that to the dulling bland of a Walmart bldg. The high cost of cheap is very real.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,299,685 times
Over the years I have had two wonderful experiences with 'older' staff who had old-school values when it came to customer service. One was a personal shopper at Nordstrom and one was a sales associate at Dillard's. Class acts all the way. Sad, how their exemplary customer service was so unusual it stands out as something unique.

I just realized--one experience was in 1986 and the other was in 2014.

Now, I do as much shopping as possible online.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 PM

65 posts, read 63,467 times
I forgot about one of the largest discount store chain in LA, in the sixties called Zody's. Ours store was the anchor store for the Pomona Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty