U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:10 PM

13,990 posts, read 10,131,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
May Company Flagship store at Wilshire and LaBrea in Los Angeles. As a kid, I loved old-fashioned department stores with mezzanines and creaky wooden escalators. Once I started shopping for myself, it was one of my favorite places to go, but I never cared for the mall locations. The building has long since been converted to museum space at LACMA, but the original facade remains.
Robert's Department Store: It was more of an older person's store, but I worked there for extra Christmas money when I was young. They had a mezzanine, and the stuff they sold upstairs was just ancient. I think it was just about the only place around to buy girl and boy scout uniforms. They would have these sheet sets wrapped in plastic that was yellowed and cracking. I never could understand who would possibly be shopping there, lol. I remember one time I wore fashion jeans to work and there was practically an audible "gasp!" I guess it was completely unacceptable dress code. I had just thought, Well, they're not 501's or anything. lol

Market Basket (grocery store): Again, when I was a kid. They had these creaky stairs you had to take to get to the restroom on the second floor. Then you had to walk down this dark hallway on a creaky hardwood floor. It was kind of creepy, but fun.

Quote:
Marshall Field's- Chicago is my second home, and I will never forgive Macy's for killing Marshall Field's.
Marshall Field's was my first credit card, even though I'm from California. I loved catalog shopping.

The Broadway
Miller's Outpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Woolworth's....had a big one in town was on Main St before it moved to a shopping plaza, W.T. Grants...it was in the shopping center before Woolworths (in the 1960s/1970s), Ames...had a big one in town, Montgomery Wards...had a catalog store, wife bought her wedding gown there in the 1980s (and still has it), J.J. Newbury's.....Had a lunch counter with good food, Fishman's...was also on Main Street but never moved to plaza, Arcade Bazaar....a department store of the early 60s remember when I was little, Rich's...a department store from the 1990s, Ben Franklin....a crafty type 5 and dime store, does anyone remember when K-Marts had little restaurants in them?
They don't have them anymore? When I was a kid, my next-door neighbor and I used to walk there, go to the food area, split an order of French fries with ketchup, then walk back home. I can't believe how fun it seems when I think about it, lol.

As I mentioned above, I used to love catalog shopping for clothes. I think it started with American Girl magazines at the library. They used to sell lip gloss and stuff in the back pages. Then I graduated on to Seventeen Magazine, of course.

Some favorite mail order companies that I miss:

FBS
Sweet Willy
The Smuggler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 PM

13,990 posts, read 10,131,822 times
Quote:
I know we had them in southern CA, but none were near where I grew up. They were located outside of Los Angeles, if I remember correctly. South Bay, maybe?
We had both Bullock's and Buffum's around here. I'm pretty sure they were both at Lakewood Mall.

And I just remembered, Licorice Pizza!

Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM

464 posts, read 635,342 times
Borders Books - I really miss that place.

Filene's

Parisian

And from my youth, those who grew up in NY and NJ will no doubt remember Two Guys.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,640,051 times
Korvettes
John Wannamaker
Lit Brothers
Gimbels
Strawbridge & Clothier and their Clover stores
Kresge
Woolworth's, even though I think there might still be a few
Robert Hall

Old 04-14-2015, 06:58 PM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times
Turnstyles
Wieboldts

A bunch of local stores as well, that nobody outside that town would remember.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:58 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Quote:
I know we had them in southern CA, but none were near where I grew up. They were located outside of Los Angeles, if I remember correctly. South Bay, maybe?
Laguna Hills Mall.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:00 PM

4,376 posts, read 2,424,586 times
Monkey Ward

Old 04-14-2015, 07:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 980,102 times
I miss Woolworth's and although JC penney is still around it's a ghost of it's former self. I miss that! and of course Marshall Fields.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:05 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,774,921 times
May Co. I have not enjoyed shopping at a department store since it closed. They had decent prices, great selections, and terrific sales. Everything that Bloomingdale's doesn't have (which moved into the May Co buildings, at least here in SoCal).

Gemco! Good selections, considered better than K-Mart. Wasn't it actually a membership store? I remember the wild and crazy sacking of Gemco during its final days...everything for sale for, what was it, $1? Oh the humanity!

But my all-time favorite lost store is Standard Brands. It was a hardware + art supplies store, and everything was reasonably priced, and generally good quality. Too good to last! We still have art supplies that have lasted 20+ years, from Standard Brands.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:58 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,547,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
We had both Bullock's and Buffum's around here. I'm pretty sure they were both at Lakewood Mall.

And I just remembered, Licorice Pizza!
Ah! Licorice Pizza. I can't tell you how long it took me to understand that name for a record store. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty