U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:04 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,950,686 times

Advertisements

I was not much more than 2-3 years old in the early 80s and recall my parents going to Woolworth somewhere in New Jersey. They would always buy me an inflatable ball since they always broke.

In the early 90s I recall in the local mall "The Wall" with shelves of music cassette tapes. There was also a really cool video store called "Suncoast" that was dark inside and meant to resemble the atmosphere of a movie theater. It was really overpriced though. That later became a RadioShack that closed up and became a T-mobile store or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 05:58 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,391,633 times
Broadway, Bullock's, Buffum's, Robinsons, I. Magnin, Ohrbach's, Gemco, Fedmart, Licorice Pizza, Tower Records, Two Guys. The first 3 had beautiful, well-made clothing, and not just for old ladies. I was young and bought a lot of career clothing there. I bought my first legit piece of furniture at Broadway, a bentwood rocker that I still love. It took me a year to pay it off. I liked Mervyn's in the beginning but they changed so I stopped shopping there.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:21 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I remember when Carson's in Chicago was Carson Pirie Scott. I got my first pair of grown-up "designer" jeans there when I was 13.
It's still there since it is a historic building but there's also a Target inside.

Favorites were Marshall Fields, Carson Pirie Scott & Co. Tower Records, Virgin Records, 5,7,9 Shop,
Robertsons (they had a cute tea room), Bonwit Teller, Turnstyle, Chandlers Shoes, The Wild Pair,
Waccamaw, Venture and Woolworth's as a kid.

Here's a good site for those posters who lived near or in Chicago

CraigsLostChicago

Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 AM

4,429 posts, read 3,105,244 times
Gart Brothers (believe merged with Sports Authority)
BEST

Old 04-15-2015, 08:46 AM

10,053 posts, read 6,995,827 times
Grace Bros.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 AM

3,330 posts, read 1,976,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Bonwit Teller
Marshall Fields
The 5,7,9 Shop
I miss getting a Sears catalog
I LOVED the 5 7 9 Shop!!!!!

Now they need to have a 10 12 14 Shop...more my size now!!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:52 AM

2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Broadway, Bullock's, Buffum's, Robinsons, I. Magnin, Ohrbach's, Gemco, Fedmart, Licorice Pizza, Tower Records, Two Guys. The first 3 had beautiful, well-made clothing, and not just for old ladies. I was young and bought a lot of career clothing there. I bought my first legit piece of furniture at Broadway, a bentwood rocker that I still love. It took me a year to pay it off. I liked Mervyn's in the beginning but they changed so I stopped shopping there.
A few years back, I was watching the old horror-soap, "Dark Shadows," on Netflix, and noticed that Ohrbach's was credited with providing the women's wardrobe for the show. Before that, I hadn't thought of that place in ages. I used to pop in occasionally, as it was located across the street from my favorite May Co. store (on Wilshire and Fairfax, not LaBrea, as I wrote in the OP.), but I can only recall buying something there once.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:58 AM

5,125 posts, read 3,636,143 times
How I wish it was Walmart.

Bring back all the other smaller (and better) like Zellers and K-Mart) store chains and locally owned stores.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:15 AM

1,511 posts, read 768,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post

Sooo ... It was a store much bigger than today's Walmart?
The one that used to be in that building in Fort Worth was the biggest I ever saw anywhere. It was one of the biggest department stores in Fort Worth--maybe THE biggest. MW and Sears were the biggest chain department stores in the country at one time. This was before businesses began expanding globally.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:20 AM

2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Anybody remember Buffum's? Another rich old lady store.

Best (Best Company? Best & Co?) was where I used to buy Christmas gifts in my teens. Or at Gemco, which I think Target swallowed.

Aww, they're gone? I used to buy all my suits there.
Loehmann's still has an online presence. Before the brick-and-mortar stores closed, the company expanded quite a bit, and the quality of their merchandise declined rapidly. I never shopped there for myself, but sometimes went with others who were looking for high quality business suits or dresses for special occasions, and I remember that in the 80's they sold premium designer labels at a discount that was considered a bargain only because the full retail prices were high. Later, they became more like an outlet store for mid-level brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty