U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 01:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,800,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Clothestime (in high school). Bought many a bitchin' outfit there.

Surf & Sweats

Miller's Outpost

I miss Mervyn's now. Nicer stuff than Target but still pretty inexpensive.
Man that was THE place to go in high school for the cool stuff ...hadn't thought about them in ages until today haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,800,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvc View Post
Anyone from Boston area might remember Lechmere, they had stores in Cambridge and Dedham. Also Building 19 and Child World, not sure if either of them are around cause I don't live there anymore.

Also in Southern California: I remember previously mentioned Bullock's, Buffum's and Robinson's as well as May's, they all had stores either at Del Amo Mall or at Galleria in Redondo beach which is right down the road. And Wherehouse Records, I spent a lot of time there. And there was some department store I think called Federated at Old Town mall in Torrance.

Also for electronics- Circuit City, The Good Guys, Pacific Stereo
I remember Leo's Stereos ads all the time back in the day and the little stickers for them on cars.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:30 PM

7,625 posts, read 13,987,763 times
Fed Mart
Swensen's Ice Cream Parlors
Mervyn's
Cold Water Creek

Old 04-15-2015, 01:37 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,079,858 times
Borders the book store. But it is not fashion related though.
I cannot name any more.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:03 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,549,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Borders the book store. But it is not fashion related though.
I cannot name any more.
Don't worry that it's not fashion-related. The thread moved beyond that once I mentioned Fedco in the first post. I would have mentioned Borders, as well, if I hadn't been thinking more of stores that were around during my youth. I loved Borders, and would spend time browsing there. Now, if I go to a bookstore (usu. B&N, because that's all that's left in most areas), it is to get something I don't want to wait for Amazon to deliver, and I buy what I want and get out. It isn't the same atmosphere.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:42 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Fed Mart
Swensen's Ice Cream Parlors
Mervyn's
Cold Water Creek
We have Coldwater Creeks here in Illinois, but SWENSEN'S!! And Farrell's! It is rare to find an old-fashioned ice cream parlor anymore.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:26 PM

13,997 posts, read 10,136,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Tower Records
White Front
Zodys
Builder's Emporium
Omg, White Front. Forgot all about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I agree with Robert Hall. I used to buy a lot of clothes there.

and Montgomery Ward, which we used to call Monkey Wards.

Grants
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Man that was THE place to go in high school for the cool stuff ...hadn't thought about them in ages until today haha.
I know, I was going to say that, too.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:35 PM

3,899 posts, read 4,513,315 times
Joske's
Montgomery Ward
Foley's

Old 04-15-2015, 03:35 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
The fashion stores I shopped at as a teenager: Ormond, Foxmoor, Lerner. I probably wouldn't shop at any of them now, but they were fun. The Foxmoor bags were very cool to carry around. And I bought my jeans at Just Pants and The County Seat.

McAlpin's department store in Cincinnati
Boston Store, Halle's, and Trask/Carlisle's department stores in Erie
May Co. department store in Cleveland
Rike's department store in Dayton

Fashion Bug
Limited Express from the early 80s, when they sold the funkiest New Wave clothes and accessories. I probably still have some clothing from back then, in the back of the closet.

Before I lost a lot of weight, I shopped at a place called Sizes Unlimited - great selection of clothing. One day it was gone -- never knew what happened to the chain.

Sears/Penney/Montgomery Ward/Alden's catalogs

Old 04-15-2015, 03:40 PM

619 posts, read 796,174 times
Ben Franklin.....or any other 5 and dime stores like that. My grandmother used to take us there and let us pick out something whenever we came for a visit.

Totally agree about Marshall Fields! I really miss that store and Macy's is crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty