Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 05:47 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Does anyone remember the Grill at Walgreens? They served shakes, malts, burgers, breakfast etc...
and that special diet plate (scoop of cottage cheese, a peach and a hamburger patty)
I don't recall the Walgreen's grill--I do remember the counter at JJ Newberry's that sold hotdogs in that really good Texas-toast-type bread.

Someone mentioned Borders--I used to enjoy hanging out there and on one occasion I heard some live music that was really, really good. I sat there and studied while the guy gave a whole concert.

I felt the atmosphere changed and eventually stopped going, and then...well, we all know what has happened to so many brick-and-mortar book stores. I like my eReaders, but I miss meandering around those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
I remember Best Products from the 70s. A neighbor was a toy buyer for them, and his daughter always had toys that werent even on the market yet.

You also made me think of Consumers in the 80s.

They were simular to Best Products, but seemed a little smaller and lower end.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Does anyone remember the Grill at Walgreens? They served shakes, malts, burgers, breakfast etc... and that special diet plate (scoop of cottage cheese, a peach and a hamburger patty)
I remember the cafe at Woolworth's Waikiki

Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
McCrory...Billy Blake...National.

And LAZARUS DOWNTOWN! Still remember the ads.

Ooooo....

So do others.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 PM

I like that photo.

I STILL have some dishes I bought at a Woolworth's in Oregon long, long ago. Not all of them have survived, but I have a couple of bowls and a few plates which I use just about every day.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddiva View Post
I remember Two Guys sold some brand of hot dog buns that I just loved. Honey egg something or other. I also remember the blue laws and my gramma came and wanted a TV on a Sunday although they technically couldn't sell it to her until Monday, that baby was in our home and in the living room and the Sunday Disney Movie played that night upstairs! (my parents didn't want her to have to go down to the basement where the only tv was). Not sure how she managed it but she was always having magical things like that happen (it seemed to us kids) that didn't work for anyone else.

For those of you too young to remember, the stores used to rope off everything but the food (the only thing they could sell on Sundays).
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that! It may have been a thing peculiar to Two Guys stores in New Jersey, where they literally roped off (with clothesline!) the clothing sections and other sections on Sundays. You could buy food, records, and toys but not clothes! We used to go up to the one on Route 10 in East Hanover.

Into the 1970's they even kept entire malls closed in Bergen County all day on Sunday.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Ames.

It was kinda like K-mart, and I believe local to the east coast and upper mid west.
When Ames went out of business I think Jamesway bought most of their stores. Or do I have that backwards? Anyway they are both gone now, along with Caldor which sold similar stuff to similar people.

I furnished most of my first apartment with stuff from Jamesway on Route 57 in Mansfield Twp, NJ.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:17 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I really miss Boarders.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 PM

I used to love going to record stores, too--someone mentioned Tower Records, and I remember The Wherehouse, too. Even into the early 2000's I'd go and listen to CD's at Tower and if I left my license at the desk, I could hear the whole thing before deciding if I'd buy it. I also remember a neat record store in downtown San Diego in the 80's where I'd rummage around--I liked old book stores, too--but I don't remember the names of any of those places.

Remember stationery stores? Back when people actually wrote letters?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 PM

104 posts, read 139,043 times
I grew up in a suburb of Boston and as a kid in the 70's I loved going to the Dedham Mall. There were four stores in particular I loved in that place although all had their qualities.

Hobby Town was fun to peruse in. So much fun stuff to look at. I bought some of my earliest games there.

Fanny Farmer Candies. Next to Hobby Town was a nice little candy shop.

Woolworths. The company is gone now but I fondly remember buying lots of stuff there over the years. The one at the mall also had a restaurant attached which had decent food at a decent price.

There was a bookstore too, next to a bank as I recall. Can't remember the name of it. Small by today's standards but I still found plenty of novels and puzzle books to buy there.

I remember a pet store in the mall too, across from a Bradlees department store. My family bought our puppy dog there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty