U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 02:37 PM

13,167 posts, read 7,403,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I think everyone should wear whatever they like. That said, I don't really think of 50 as that old (I'm a 37 year old male) and I would think it sad for anyone (male of female) to simply give up on how they present themselves just because they turned 50. There are many beautiful women over 50.
Exactly. Where do these ridiculous arbitrary rules come from, anyway? Women SHOULD/SHOULDN'T wear/look/be/think X, Y, or Z. Says who? Why? Nonsense. People can do what they want within the confines of the law, and if they want to dress like Bozo the Clown, so be it. Besides, the great thing about getting older is that you start caring less about the things that don't matter, such as how you LOOK, and care more about the things that do matter, such as how you FEEL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 02:55 PM

31,180 posts, read 57,317,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I definitely agree with you, except I would draw the line at Madonna's thong get-up at the Grammy's!
Everyone should draw the line at that. Common sense should apply to all age groups.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:34 PM

1,112 posts, read 803,924 times
I would avoid clothing like booty shorts, belly shirts, see-through clothing etc. reason why is because it doesn't look good on anybody.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 PM

14,656 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. Where do these ridiculous arbitrary rules come from, anyway? Women SHOULD/SHOULDN'T wear/look/be/think X, Y, or Z. Says who? Why? Nonsense. People can do what they want within the confines of the law, and if they want to dress like Bozo the Clown, so be it. Besides, the great thing about getting older is that you start caring less about the things that don't matter, such as how you LOOK, and care more about the things that do matter, such as how you FEEL
AMEN, SISTER!! Now that I am 65, I have given myself permission to do whatever I want and make no apologies. That means that if I feel like wearing a costume every frikkin' day, I'm damn well gonna do it! I denied myself for YEARS, because when I was younger I felt more self-conscious about how I looked and dressed - well, guess what, I discovered life is more fun when in costume, and so I wear whatever I want. And you know what? I get tons of compliments. And if some don't like it (and I'm sure some don't) I DON'T FRIKKEN CARE! LOL!

Yes, some things about becoming a certain age have been very freeing to me.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:13 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,724,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Even if an older woman has an attractive body (clothed, anyway!), what styles on her would cause a reaction in you akin to "What in the world is she thinking?"

And/or do you think older women should just wear whatever they like?
No, personally, I think there should be a consortium of MEN, through whom we have to pass through like a tunnel after the age of 30, from whom we receive both commentary and random groping, to test our goods as if we were on an auto assembly line, to make us fit for consumption. After we pass THERE we get a far more thorough "dressing down" from other WOMEN, who are far crueler in their assessments of our relative looks-based worth, who with one withering glance makes us cave in on ourselves in shame.

If anything, you should look EVEN CRAZIER the older you get. I want to see punk rock grannies. I want to see women CARING LESS about how they look, really. Not in terms of neglect, but in terms of "i want to make a statement that says '*********R IDEAS ABOUT BEAUTY AND WHAT I SHOULD DO'". I mean, why are you even asking this question? Do you write a blog? Why do you care?

I have a very young friend who made a tshirt that said "BEAUTY IS NOT POWER". THAT is what women should wear after fifty.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:15 PM

15,745 posts, read 11,757,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I think everyone should wear whatever they like. That said, I don't really think of 50 as that old (I'm a 37 year old male) and I would think it sad for anyone (male of female) to simply give up on how they present themselves just because they turned 50. There are many beautiful women over 50.
Which one is it - wear whatever you like or not to give up on caring how to present yourself?

"Whatever you like" could be sloppy pajamas .. But doesn't that mean you give up to present yourself in a nice way? Sloppy pajamas represents not giving a shyte.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:19 PM

15,745 posts, read 11,757,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

If anything, you should look EVEN CRAZIER the older you get. I want to see punk rock grannies. I want to see women CARING LESS about how they look, really. Not in terms of neglect, but in terms of "i want to make a statement that says '*********R IDEAS ABOUT BEAUTY AND WHAT I SHOULD DO'". I mean, why are you even asking this question? Do you write a blog? Why do you care?

I have a very young friend who made a tshirt that said "BEAUTY IS NOT POWER". THAT is what women should wear after fifty.
That's cool if it is tasteful. Very uncool if it looks trashy and cheap.

So they should care less but not look like they neglect themselves. So ... there IS a restriction after all because each of you guys who says everybody can wear what they want, have a BUT in the end.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:00 PM

400 posts, read 305,273 times
The question is about fashion styles for older women. I am a 60 year old nurse. Hers what I don't want to see in public regardless of age. Tattoos all over the human body. It is like grafitti all over the Cistene Chapel. What do people think that is going to look like when old and wrinkly? Unclothed obesity and overweight giggling cellulite- please, spare the onlookers. Mature woman dressed up like teenagers- please. Older woman who are too skinny- looks kind of like sick to me. Other than that, wear whatever you want.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:20 PM

477 posts, read 375,622 times
None. Every woman of any age should dress as pleases her.

If it doesn't please YOU, don't look.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:31 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,051,147 times
booty shorts...

I'm sorry..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty