U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:47 PM

9,535 posts, read 14,362,016 times

Advertisements

There is a TV commercial on lately for senior citizens seeking dates. There is a blonde on there dressed like she is in high school and she shakes her head, saying she feels like she is back in high school. Do not hesitate. Run away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:37 PM

8,240 posts, read 7,538,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Women over 50 shouldn't wear their hair longer than their ears.

No shorts, short skirts, jeans, tight pants, pencil skirts, tank tops or short sleeves.

Women over 50 shouldn't even bother with contact lenses.

Women over 50 are unimportant and close to death so why should they bother?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I am hoping you are being sarcastic.
Please, please, please tell me no one took me seriously?

Dear God.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:19 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,140,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Please, please, please tell me no one took me seriously?

Dear God.
I figured, but I thought I would ask. you never know on CD.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:06 PM

625 posts, read 443,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
You have to feel for someone in their 50's/60's who wear things that are "not appropriate" for them....but then again, there are people WAY younger than that who insist on wearing things "not appropriate" for their size/build that are JUST as bad.

I think spandex, leggings, daisy duke shorts and crop tops as well as mini skirts and see thru blouses should NOT be made beyond a certain size for ANYONE regardless of age....
Have to agree with you. Too many 50+ (and even 60 and 70+) ladies in leggings and baby doll tops. Just looks plain silly. Saw a gal in a department store in leggings with a work-out bra type top on, everything squished in and squishing back out. It was painful. To top this off she had bleached blonde hair that was kinda of yellow and orange, LONG (nearly waist length) hair and crazy make-up (neon in daytime) with orange fake tan. I felt very sad for her. She looked at minimum 60, but was trying desperately to look 25. It wasn't working.

Short shorts or minis when the legs are wrinkled, saggy, covered in varicose veins. Not pretty.

Crop tops, see thru and ESPECIALLY too much cleavage! No one wants to see saggy wrinkly cleavage! I know because I don't enjoy seeing my own! haha.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:16 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,613,612 times
I don't think the issue is age. I think it's more about what looks flattering on your body type, and then, if a particular style tends to be more limited to the younger set.

I met a woman in her late 30s who was big into Harajuku fashion. She looked middle-aged and had started getting that "middle-aged spread." She looked utterly ridiculous. Yet, I met another woman in her 60s, with a head full of grey hair, wearing a little black dress and boots. She looked fantastic. She looked better than a bunch of the 20 year olds wearing a similar outfit. Now, if she threw on Harajuku clothing for a reason other than cosplay or Halloween, I'd wonder why she was wearing it, since that particular style tends to lean much younger. But, I wouldn't say that she shouldn't wear it.

Bit, ultimately, any woman can wear whatever they want, at whatever age.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:50 PM

2,796 posts, read 3,175,300 times
Well I'm older 51 and dress how I like but I do take care, I understand I'm no longer 20's-40's anymore, I'm a mature woman, still I'm young at heart and mind . I do realize even if I can still pull off hot shorts and a tank top or a super mini dress it can end up looking unbecoming and not the image I want project to the would. I'm a wife, mother and I'm artiest so yes I want put forth an image that speaks me at this stage in my life, so yes there a fine line between looking put together and coming across as a professional, classy lady or not so much..Ether way we are all different, so be you! .

https://www.softsurroundings.com/Clothing/

Last edited by WildCard~; 04-18-2015 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 AM

467 posts, read 354,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The other day I saw a much older woman in very short black denim cutoffs, a sheer black blouse, and a black bra underneath. She was very thin but very wrinkled, all over. My kids were joking (very quietly, just to each other) that she was Lady Gaga, 40 years from now.

I don't buy the idea that women should stop wearing certain things just because they get to a certain age...no long hair, no shorts, etc. are all dumb "rules" for people to try to follow...but everyone should own a mirror, or have a good friend who will tell them if they're going out of the house in something that just looks wrong.
Very well put. I am 70 and I get my husband to tell me if I wear something that is a no, no. He has always been right and it is great to be able to experiment when there is someone who will tell you exactly as it is and not just say oh, if it is what you like, go for it. Also invest in a mirror that can see your rear!

Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,089,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Even if an older woman has an attractive body (clothed, anyway!), what styles on her would cause a reaction in you akin to "What in the world is she thinking?"

And/or do you think older women should just wear whatever they like?
Skinny jeans, mini skirts, tank tops, pink or blue hair, piercings, tattoos.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:50 AM

722 posts, read 844,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Skinny jeans, mini skirts, tank tops, pink or blue hair, piercings, tattoos.
+1

I totally agree about the tattoos on a person over 50, it makes the person look kinda of "rough" like an old Carnie

tattoos do not get better with age like other things, they actually get worse.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,269,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
+1

I totally agree about the tattoos on a person over 50, it makes the person look kinda of "rough" like an old Carnie

tattoos do not get better with age like other things, they actually get worse.
But the catch is, once you have them it's kinda difficult to get rid of them.
Unless of course a person has the time and $$ to invest in cosmetic surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty