Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times

Advertisements

It's the grey hair sometimes that sucks up all the color in the face. Grey hair is beautiful on many women but on some women especially with paler skin it really drains the life out of their face. A little pink lipstick would do wonders to bring color to the face. Too much makeup on older women is not good either, just a little lipstick, maybe a light dusting of cheek powder to give a healthy glow. Overdoing makeup at a certain age reminds me of a famous French photographer's (Brassai) picture of an older woman sitting at a cafe with a lot of makeup on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:17 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Some faces need makeup, the vast majority do not. Makeup is fake, is there something you are trying to hide?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Grooming does not include make up for many and it should not include make up if they choose not to wear it.
What is bland to you is beautiful to someone else.
Perhaps there is an allergy or they just don't want to wear make up.
If you do not like how the person you are looking at presents themselves, don't look at them.
Tend to your own life and make the choices that are right for you whether others think your choices are shallow or not.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
This thread made me LOL!

I am so used to the "beach or work out look so I don't really worry too much about what other people think. I find most guys actually like the natural look. But I will admit that I enjoy the "wow" I get from my BF when I actually throw a little make up on or blow out my hair.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Maybe she's too busy being scientific to worry about superficial stuff? Einstein didn't spend a lot of time on his hair, either.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:04 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
As I age I get more and more washed out and with the hair color gone (redhead turned white) I practically disappear in photos. Makeup for me is very minimal and I could probably use a whole lot more but I hate the stuff. My lashes are mostly gone so I use a pencil liner and a little shadow to make it look like I have eyes.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:34 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
It depends on the person, but most older faces could use a tiny bit of rouge and a lighter shade of eye liner and shadow when they go out in public. Personally, I hate the taste of lipstick so a shade to compliment the rest of the makeup is optional.

Extremely dark or bright colours? NO! No black eyeliner/mascara, and NO bright red or hot pink lipstick, thanks! It looks hideous.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:47 AM

7,096 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It depends on the person, but most older faces could use a tiny bit of rouge and a lighter shade of eye liner and shadow when they go out in public. Personally, I hate the taste of lipstick so a shade to compliment the rest of the makeup is optional.

Extremely dark or bright colours? NO! No black eyeliner/mascara, and NO bright red or hot pink lipstick, thanks! It looks hideous.
I use black eyeliner and mascara.....it looks fine. I'm 60. I think no liner makes me look older and washed out.

I also wear a light foundation and blush, lip balm or gloss.

Never ever wore lipstick, bright reds and pinks just look ridiculous on me, always did.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:06 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times
Faces that scream for makeup ?
Me. Most times I just don't care to wear makeup. Too lazy.

Reaction when I wore makeup one day for a photoshoot:
My mom: Wow, you actually look pretty good when you wear makeup.
4 year old son (looking at me with big, who are you eyes): Mom, you look scary.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:12 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I am a makeup artist and some womens faces just SCREAM for makeup.

For example I was watching a tv show where a 60 or so year old female scientist was talking.

She looked beyond dowdy. Her hair was greying and her face starting to fade. She was even wearing a brownish grey color so the overall impression was that of a clever groundhog.

Am I alone in finding this sort of inattention to appearance, extremely distracting?

She would've looked wonderful with a bit of color about her appearance, as it was both she and her topic were colorless and bland.

I know it sounds shallow but, grooming does speak about personality, and this scientist really looked as though she barely showered once a day.
Some people weren't raised in an environment where wearing makeup was common. You'd be surprised how many women don't know how to use it, and it doesn't even cross their minds. Some only wear a little blush and lipstick on special occasions. Makeup just isn't part of some women's lives. Brownish-grey sounds like a good color for executive office attire, like men's suiting.

To you, being in the profession you're in, I'm sure some women's faces scream for makeup. You probably see a lot more women who you feel are poorly made up, whose faces scream for a makeover. Think of all the psychologists and psychiatrists who cross you path as you go through life, who might think your psyche screams for a makeover. Try to appreciate people for who they are, rather than seeing them as a blank canvas begging for your artistic touch. Personally, I think people like yourself should advertise and give make-up instruction. There are women out there who would love some expert advice. The people at department store makeup counters aren't professionals, they're just salespeople. Yet that's where a lot of women go to learn about makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty