U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:22 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It depends on the person, but most older faces could use a tiny bit of rouge and a lighter shade of eye liner and shadow when they go out in public. Personally, I hate the taste of lipstick so a shade to compliment the rest of the makeup is optional.

Extremely dark or bright colours? NO! No black eyeliner/mascara, and NO bright red or hot pink lipstick, thanks! It looks hideous.
I am 65. I use BLACK eyeliner, BLACK mascara, dark eyebrow pencil and sometimes red lipstick. And no, it does not look "hideous" thank you very much. I get told I look beautiful, young and fabulous. I look totally washed out without my makeup. And I will wear it to my GRAVE!

ETA: I am Latina, and I color my gray hair back to my natural very dark brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:40 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

To you, being in the profession you're in, I'm sure some women's faces scream for makeup. You probably see a lot more women who you feel are poorly made up, whose faces scream for a makeover. Think of all the psychologists and psychiatrists who cross you path as you go through life, who might think your psyche screams for a makeover. Try to appreciate people for who they are, rather than seeing them as a blank canvas begging for your artistic touch. Personally, I think people like yourself should advertise and give make-up instruction. There are women out there who would love some expert advice. The people at department store makeup counters aren't professionals, they're just salespeople. Yet that's where a lot of women go to learn about makeup.
The only people I've known who are vehement about how important it is to wear makeup have been people in the industry...stylists and makeup artists.

We're prone to tune in on what we do for a living.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:40 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Some faces need makeup, the vast majority do not. Makeup is fake, is there something you are trying to hide?
There is a difference between hiding and enhancing a little.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:43 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I am a makeup artist and some womens faces just SCREAM for makeup.

For example I was watching a tv show where a 60 or so year old female scientist was talking.

She looked beyond dowdy. Her hair was greying and her face starting to fade. She was even wearing a brownish grey color so the overall impression was that of a clever groundhog.

Am I alone in finding this sort of inattention to appearance, extremely distracting?

She would've looked wonderful with a bit of color about her appearance, as it was both she and her topic were colorless and bland.

I know it sounds shallow but, grooming does speak about personality, and this scientist really looked as though she barely showered once a day.
Presumably she was on tv because of what she had to say, not because of how she looked. Shallow and sexist to think she should be worried about her appearance rather than what she was there to talk about. This entire discussion wouldn't exist if it were a male scientist.

Now, that's not to say that a female scientist cannot *choose* to wear make up and brightly colored clothing if they want. But I work every day with very high level researchers and they mostly consider that a distraction and a waste of time that could be put towards more important things.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:06 AM

5,263 posts, read 2,874,948 times
I noticed that Stephen Hawking really could use a blow-out and some lip gloss, too. Neil DeGrasse Tyson would look so much better with some fake eyelashes. Ohmigawd. Scientist makeover time.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 AM

809 posts, read 1,270,419 times
At least she looked like she showered once a day!

Old 04-16-2015, 10:31 AM

3,313 posts, read 3,310,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I sometimes see women who look very plain (the skin, eyes, and hair seem all one color) and think a little eye make up would make them very pretty.

Then there are the blondes and red heads with their white eye brows and white eye lashes - that REALLY screams for color!
ha ha I am a redhead and have white eye brows and refuse to color them.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:14 AM

625 posts, read 439,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I am a makeup artist and some womens faces just SCREAM for makeup.

For example I was watching a tv show where a 60 or so year old female scientist was talking.

She looked beyond dowdy. Her hair was greying and her face starting to fade. She was even wearing a brownish grey color so the overall impression was that of a clever groundhog.

Am I alone in finding this sort of inattention to appearance, extremely distracting?

She would've looked wonderful with a bit of color about her appearance, as it was both she and her topic were colorless and bland.

I know it sounds shallow but, grooming does speak about personality, and this scientist really looked as though she barely showered once a day.
You are right, you do sound shallow.

Grooming does not speak about personality. It speaks about our culture & our obsession with young & beautiful. You are in the business of telling women they are not good enough. You are in the business of selling. Get over yourself.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:50 PM

9,999 posts, read 4,218,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
ha ha I am a redhead and have white eye brows and refuse to color them.
I actually love seeing white eyebrows/eyelashes. Beautiful, exotic and frosty (for lack of a better word).

Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 PM

1,931 posts, read 1,158,804 times
If someone cannot focus on a scientific presentation (or insert whatever intellectual or otherwise "important" or in-depth topic) and instead focuses on the appearance of the person giving it, that speaks volumes about the observer.

While makeup may enhance features, there really is a huge swath of the population that actually understands it is what's on the inside that counts.

To go out on a big limb... it's also kinda sexist. Scientific woman isn't good enough unless she puts on some blush and mascara. Hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or