U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 10:22 PM

9,549 posts, read 13,388,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yet another one who comes on to Fashion and Beauty to criticize those who are interested in fashion and beauty.

Makes you wonder where they all come from really.
Beauty does NOT equal makeup for some of us, nor does makeup equal good grooming. Beauty can equal good grooming, good haircare, good skincare, all without a stitch of makeup however.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 PM

5,802 posts, read 15,503,612 times
Cindersslipper, I'm just excited that you noticed that an older woman would look better with makeup. The older you get, the more invisible you feel because of the way you're treated.

I have multiple reasons that I don't wear make-up.
1. I'm from the "hippie" generation, which was all about being natural. Not that I was a hippie! I don't object to a little makeup, but I do feel that less is best. Plus lots of stuff piled on my face makes it break out.

2. I've had lots of "makeovers" that told me I needed 2 different cleansers, 3 moisturizers, 3 concealers, 2 different types of liquid makeup, face powder, eyeliner (I look like a raccoon!), eyelid primer, lip primer, 3 eyeshadows, 2 coats of clear mascara, 3 coats of colored mascara, lip liner, lipstick, and lip highlighter. And a "setting mist" for all of it. Not only can I not afford to buy all that stuff...I can't even remember how or in what order to put it on...much less be able to pay for it!

3. None of that stuff looked good on me. I didn't trust the make-up artist because she was no artist - she just wanted me to buy as much as I could.

4. I have no idea what colors would look good on me. How many magazines do you see aimed at older women? One - More magazine, but you'd better be skinny and loaded with money to check out any of their recommendations.

I took your thoughts to heart tonight. I had a meeting and thought I would apply just a little makeup before going. That reminded me of another reason that I don't wear makeup.

5. I have rheumatoid arthritis. At 62, my fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders don't move the way they did when I was 32. It was very difficult to put on the mascara. I can reach some places on my face only by using the backs of my fingers.

But you're right - I do need to put a little more thought into my appearance.
Thanks for posting!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 PM

72,946 posts, read 64,436,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
2. I've had lots of "makeovers" that told me I needed 2 different cleansers, 3 moisturizers, 3 concealers, 2 different types of liquid makeup, face powder, eyeliner (I look like a raccoon!), eyelid primer, lip primer, 3 eyeshadows, 2 coats of clear mascara, 3 coats of colored mascara, lip liner, lipstick, and lip highlighter. And a "setting mist" for all of it. Not only can I not afford to buy all that stuff...I can't even remember how or in what order to put it on...much less be able to pay for it!
LOL! I went to a makeup counter once, for a demo, and one of the staff people was a guy. He really went to town, piling stuff onto my face. He gave me big, dark, bushy eyebrows, and some kind of dramatic colored eyelids, and seemed to have decided to turn me into a completely different person, as if he were painting someone else's portrait. I ran to the restroom afterwards, and was aghast! And washed it all off. I wouldn't mind a session with a true expert like the OP, though.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:15 AM

1,328 posts, read 704,899 times
Quote:
Yes, they do.

It shouldn't work that way, but it does.

Anyone who disagrees should try it themselves.

Try to say, break into a house WITHOUT makeup on or hair did, and police will arrest you in a hot minute.

Try to do it WITH your hair did and face on, they will likely break in for you.

Trust me on this. Makeup/grooming in general is EXTREMELY powerful for women, like it or not.
OMG, you are so full of it! Grooming and make up are two completely different things.

Maybe your rant is just because you are feeling old? Maybe you are trying to make yourself feel better by comparing yourself to women who don't care about trying to use their looks to empress?

I get more "dayum" comments when I am out and a mess from running, working out or just unshowered after playing with all my dogs.

Maybe because I am happy and confident in who I am without worrying what other people think?

BTW, I find older woman to be more classy and beautiful when they use minimal make up. Older skin looks horrible with the make up "bleeding" into the wrinkles.

I really hope I remember that when I get older.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 AM

14,668 posts, read 29,764,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
OMG, you are so full of it! Grooming and make up are two completely different things.

Maybe your rant is just because you are feeling old? Maybe you are trying to make yourself feel better by comparing yourself to women who don't care about trying to use their looks to empress?

I get more "dayum" comments when I am out and a mess from running, working out or just unshowered after playing with all my dogs.

Maybe because I am happy and confident in who I am without worrying what other people think?

BTW, I find older woman to be more classy and beautiful when they use minimal make up. Older skin looks horrible with the make up "bleeding" into the wrinkles.

I really hope I remember that when I get older.
When I read comments like this and similar, it tells me most people have vastly different definitions of makeup. Makeup is anything you put on to enhance your looks no matter how little or how much. If you see makeup "bleeding" into wrinkles, it is obviously too much! I NEVER have that issue, and I am 65! BUT.....I don't wear foundation, or even powder anymore. I only wear eye makeup and lipstick, and usually a dab of gel blush. Makeup is for subtle enhancement unless one is a stage performer or TV/movie performer, in which case it needs to be piled on, even men.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 AM

19,094 posts, read 10,110,838 times
Quote:
Yet another one who comes on to Fashion and Beauty to criticize those who are interested in fashion and beauty.

Makes you wonder where they all come from really.

The thing is, you are actually doing the same thing in a way. The person you are criticizing doesn't care about make up, and that's her right. I actually happen to like make up and fashion and can discuss those, when they are applicable. And if you had posted a thread saying "I saw an older woman without any make up on TV and it made me wonder about whether women in their 60s still take the time to do their hair and make up" or something along those lines, it might have been an interesting conversation.

But you started a thread that was a personal attack on a specific woman whose appearance you didn't care for and that's why a few others and I have pushed back.

And for the record, your original posted asked

Quote:
Am I alone in finding this sort of inattention to appearance, extremely distracting?
So for the record, the answer is no, you aren't alone, but some people do not find it distracting. That's a legitimate response and it's inappropriate for you criticize others and suggest we have no right to post on this thread or in this section of C-D simply because we have a different opinion.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:58 AM

11,069 posts, read 6,244,242 times
Quote:
I am a makeup artist and some womens faces just SCREAM for makeup.

For example I was watching a tv show where a 60 or so year old female scientist was talking.

She looked beyond dowdy. Her hair was greying and her face starting to fade. She was even wearing a brownish grey color so the overall impression was that of a clever groundhog.

Am I alone in finding this sort of inattention to appearance, extremely distracting?

She would've looked wonderful with a bit of color about her appearance, as it was both she and her topic were colorless and bland.

I know it sounds shallow but, grooming does speak about personality, and this scientist really looked as though she barely showered once a day.
Personal grooming is important, but the reason is not to please the aesthetic sensibilities of other people. A person reflects to the outside world how s/he feels about herself/himself by how s/he prioritizes health and personal maintenance.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:50 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,381,753 times
Look at Hillary Clinton.

She is an powerful, intelligent woman.

She KNOWS the power of makeup, she has started to appear in public with it on ever since she announced her Presidential intentions. Study her photos and SEE the difference it makes to her general appearance, she appears far more polished, far more calm, far more votable than the scrunchie wearer of old.

But carry on saying it makes no difference at all! You all obviously have nothing to prove and think your personal appearance is just dandy without basic grooming!

And no, im not talking a full mask either (who can be bothered?). A bit of color is ESSENTIAL when you get older as everything fades.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:05 PM

4,863 posts, read 3,728,387 times
Quote:
Look at Hillary Clinton.

She is an powerful, intelligent woman.

She KNOWS the power of makeup, she has started to appear in public with it on ever since she announced her Presidential intentions. Study her photos and SEE the difference it makes to her general appearance, she appears far more polished, far more calm, far more votable than the scrunchie wearer of old.

But carry on saying it makes no difference at all! You all obviously have nothing to prove and think your personal appearance is just dandy without basic grooming!

And no, im not talking a full mask either (who can be bothered?). A bit of color is ESSENTIAL when you get older as everything fades.
I won't comment on the makeup part of this post, but your second sentence is highly debatable. Especially the 5th word.....

Old 04-17-2015, 04:18 PM

4,618 posts, read 6,136,152 times
This would be better if she was smiling in both pictures:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or