U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:38 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,784,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This would be better if she was smiling in both pictures:
I wish pictures like these were not done by professionals. Anyone can look great with a makeup artist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 03:39 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
Quote:
That's a good one

Old 04-17-2015, 03:55 PM

609 posts, read 448,667 times
Quote:
That's clown makeup. She would have looked much better without it or with natural colors imo

Old 04-17-2015, 04:46 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,253,013 times
Some faces are meant for radio....

Old 04-17-2015, 07:42 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
Quote:
I think her makeup looks great!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I won't comment on the makeup part of this post, but your second sentence is highly debatable. Especially the 5th word.....
That's just rude.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,556,296 times
There are people whose faces scream for a new face. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Personal grooming is important, but the reason is not to please the aesthetic sensibilities of other people. A person reflects to the outside world how s/he feels about herself/himself by how s/he prioritizes health and personal maintenance.
Reflecting something to the outside world that isn't visible (how you feel about yourself and your priorities) requires that it become visible so the outside world can perceive it. That means your feelings and priorities need to be projected into your appearance for the world's interpretation.

Since the outside world judges your appearance according to its aesthetic sensibilities, grooming yourself in a manner that pleases that aesthetic is the only way to reflect a positive attitude toward yourself and your priorities. Otherwise, you're reflecting the attitude that you don't care about yourself and don't prioritize health and maintenance, which may not be true.

Look at the OP's comment. The woman's dowdy, makeup-less appearance immediately made her jump to the association of the woman barely showering. The woman may be the epitome of health and hygiene and care enough about her appearance to have looked exactly the way she wanted to, but because her appearance didn't conform to the aesthetic the OP finds pleasing, she's instead reflecting a negative "personality" and an "inattention" to her appearance that suggests uncleanliness.

There are only two choices. You're either grooming for yourself or to please society's aesthetic. Invariably, if you don't do the latter, people think you aren't doing the former.

Related, when people say they want to look their best when they leave the house "for themselves", they're inherently speaking of how they appear to others, which is why they don't share the same concerns when they're at home alone. Ergo, anyone who says that it's just for themselves is in denial.

Wanting to look a certain way because you know it will make you look better to others and give others a higher opinion of you or make them respond more favorably to you which will in turn benefit you is not the same thing as wanting to look that way "for yourself".

Those who actually make aesthetic choices for themselves rather than for the purpose of "reflecting" things to the outside world or eliciting a particular response are people who tend to groom themselves the same all the time and make the same choices in appearance regardless of their environment.

Pleasing society's aesthetic definitely has power. There's no denying that looking the way others find most appealing will open more doors than it closes and I don't knock people who want to take advantage of that. Who I knock are people who think they're kidding someone when they say they aren't trying to when they wouldn't even be caught dead picking up a carton of milk or grabbing their mail out of the box without being done up because what if someone sees them *gasp*.

And I knock people who insist that someone who doesn't bother grooming their appearance to society's liking must not care about themselves or their health when it's equally possible that they care enough about themselves to feel no pressure or need to conform to an external ideal in order to be happy with how they look.

Maybe the scientist was perfectly fine with how she looked and wouldn't give a sh-t if someone watching thought she looked horrible, in which case, good for her. Or maybe she didn't realize she looked that badly to others and would have made changes had she known, in which case, aww. Maybe she'll know for next time.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:00 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I am a makeup artist and some womens faces just SCREAM for makeup.

For example I was watching a tv show where a 60 or so year old female scientist was talking.

She looked beyond dowdy. Her hair was greying and her face starting to fade. She was even wearing a brownish grey color so the overall impression was that of a clever groundhog.

Am I alone in finding this sort of inattention to appearance, extremely distracting?

She would've looked wonderful with a bit of color about her appearance, as it was both she and her topic were colorless and bland.

I know it sounds shallow but, grooming does speak about personality, and this scientist really looked as though she barely showered once a day.
I think a lot can be accomplished with some basic grooming. I find colors such as white, grey, beige, etc., to be unflattering to many people. Colors that are more flattering to skin tone help. So does wearing clothes that have a shape or cut that fits your body type. A proper haircut helps and so does a little shaping of the eyebrows. Makeup can be used to enhance. Too many people paint it on and paint a new face instead of enhancing the one they have.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:20 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,713,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
That's just rude.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:53 PM

30,405 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I am a makeup artist and some womens faces just SCREAM for makeup.

For example I was watching a tv show where a 60 or so year old female scientist was talking.

She looked beyond dowdy. Her hair was greying and her face starting to fade. She was even wearing a brownish grey color so the overall impression was that of a clever groundhog.

Am I alone in finding this sort of inattention to appearance, extremely distracting?

She would've looked wonderful with a bit of color about her appearance, as it was both she and her topic were colorless and bland.

I know it sounds shallow but, grooming does speak about personality, and this scientist really looked as though she barely showered once a day.

Which is it that you're crabbing about? Her gray hair, pallor, and clothing choices or her looking (to you) as if she hadn't showered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or