Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:24 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,479 times

Advertisements

The billion $$ industry says you're right, because, *cha-ching, cha-ching* that's how they make their money. It's not like they're a neutral party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 03:26 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
FWIW before I got a bit older I agreed 10000% with you.

Now however I find a female face WITHOUT any care or attention to be a sign of a dowdy and boring nature. Don't even get me started on greying hair!

About 1 in 100 women look FABULOUS with grey hair but the majority of us look tired, washed out, like we need a damn good bath.

Which brings me back to the scientist, in her dowdy mole colored outfit - how CLEAN is she in her work if her own personal appearance (on a prescheduled tv interview no less) is so low on her list of priorities?

I would say the exact same about a male scientist appearing on a tv show without combing his hair btw, and so most likely would you.
So all the guy has to do is run a comb through his hair, but the woman has to color her hair, style it, spend time and money on a zillion makeup and beauty products, accessorize just right, etc etc?

You may not have invented the double standard, but you're certainly doing your part to perpetuate it.

Luckily, there are women who choose not to spend time on makeup. They're too busy actually making a difference in the world.

And btw, I'm not sure what sort if bizarre logic leads you to equate makeup with hygiene. Wearing makeup in the lab is rather the opposite, if you care to think beyond the Sephora paradigm. No one needs makeup smudging on uniforms or equipment, dust particles, random fragrances or fake eyelashes falling out. Not to mention, makeup is usually teeming with germs.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 04-16-2015 at 03:41 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 03:27 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
FWIW before I got a bit older I agreed 10000% with you.

Now however I find a female face WITHOUT any care or attention to be a sign of a dowdy and boring nature. Don't even get me started on greying hair!

About 1 in 100 women look FABULOUS with grey hair but the majority of us look tired, washed out, like we need a damn good bath.

Which brings me back to the scientist, in her dowdy mole colored outfit - how CLEAN is she in her work if her own personal appearance (on a prescheduled tv interview no less) is so low on her list of priorities?

I would say the exact same about a male scientist appearing on a tv show without combing his hair btw, and so most likely would you.
Don't TV studios usually have their own makeup people for their guests? Maybe only talk shows do that, vs. news programs? Maybe she thought the studio would do her makeup.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
Yet another one who comes on to Fashion and Beauty to criticize those who are interested in fashion and beauty.

Makes you wonder where they all come from really.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't TV studios usually have their own makeup people for their guests? Maybe only talk shows do that, vs. news programs? Maybe she thought the studio would do her makeup.
It was one of those true crime shows where she was in the lab droning about forensics.

Apparently the budget doesn't cover a makeup artist but she DID comb her hair.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:35 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Yet another one who comes on to Fashion and Beauty to criticize those who are interested in fashion and beauty.

Makes you wonder where they all come from really.
You do realize that towards the side of the page, there's a list of recent threads from around the site, right? The title caught my eye. Deal with it.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:37 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,307 times
Quote:
Oh and...fwiw...I personally do not wear makeup every day and it is incredible how differently I get treated.

Absolutely indisputable that being nicely made up is part of good grooming for a woman in public, I didn't invent this and a billion dollar industry tells me Im right.
I believe this is what people (including myself) are talking about. Should you be considered a crazy biatch just because you appear in public without makeup one day? Do you believe not wearing makeup or doing your hair changes you in some fundamental way?

As for letting an industry decide what is right... well, I'll just say I think many people would disagree with that strongly.

Quote:

I'm confused how gray hair = boring person or gray hair = dirty. Is everything gray dirty then?

I think caring about fashion and beauty is great if that's what people are interested in. Women (and men) should be able to get and share ideas and tips about how they can use make up or wear clothing to look their best, etc. Does that extend to harsh criticism of women who choose not to do these things because they are focused on something else? Should everyone buy into the same fashion industry doctrine or be called dirty and boring?

Old 04-16-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I believe this is what people (including myself) are talking about. Should you be considered a crazy biatch just because you appear in public without makeup one day? Do you believe not wearing makeup or doing your hair changes you in some fundamental way?

As for letting an industry decide what is right... well, I'll just say I think many people would disagree with that strongly.

I'm confused how gray hair = boring person or gray hair = dirty. Is everything gray dirty then?

I think caring about fashion and beauty is great if that's what people are interested in. Women (and men) should be able to get and share ideas and tips about how they can use make up or wear clothing to look their best, etc. Does that extend to harsh criticism of women who choose not to do these things because they are focused on something else? Should everyone buy into the same fashion industry doctrine or be called dirty and boring?
Nope, it is merely a personal opinion not an attempt to rewrite the world order.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:41 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,463,946 times
Everyone pro on TV has 1-3 hours of makeup and hair work done. People on TV without it or just minimal makeup tend to look REALLY bad in comparison.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Everyone pro on TV has 1-3 hours of makeup and hair work done. People on TV without it or just minimal makeup tend to look REALLY bad in comparison.
Yes, they do.

It shouldn't work that way, but it does.

Anyone who disagrees should try it themselves.

Try to say, break into a house WITHOUT makeup on or hair did, and police will arrest you in a hot minute.

Try to do it WITH your hair did and face on, they will likely break in for you.

Trust me on this. Makeup/grooming in general is EXTREMELY powerful for women, like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty