Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:40 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,583,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Why a goatee?? Especially at 23, makes no sense, and that kind of thing probably is what gives the shaved head a bad reputation.
You need some sort of facial hair if you're bald -- breaks up the monotony of skin on top. You can go with other facial hair styles, but they will look off because they don't connect with anything. A beard that ends at the ears with a bald head? Kind of strange. Side burns floating by themselves? Odd. This leaves you with a mustache, a goatee, soul patch or a soul patch and mustache. Of these choices, I think goatee is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 PM

6,602 posts, read 4,817,614 times
Maybe, but goatees are associated with the devil. Besides, Telly Savalas had no facial hair. If a guy has the features for it, he can be completely bald and clean-shaven. A fit guy (typically younger than Telly) is more likely to fall into that category. Of course almost any such man would look better with a full head of hair.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:33 PM

471 posts, read 597,965 times
I have a friend who has taken Propecia and Avodart for over a decade now.

he has more hair now, than he did at 25. His father was bald. It can be stopped, even reversed.

Take a look at two twins who did just that. Their results are very much on par with what I have seen.

I'd recommend any man who is losing his hair and wants to keep it to try this.

Talk to your doctor, but it is very very safe for most men and most see results.

Twins Hair Loss | Stop Thinning Hair Loss | Dutasteride

Old 06-01-2015, 03:08 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,469,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Balding at 23? Sorry man. The only thing you can do is shave it all and grow a goatee. Bald and a goatee. If you have the time and inclination, you should hit the gym too. Bald and buff looks a lot better than bald and doughy. Bald men can't pull off the pretty boy, soft body look that men with great hair and nice features sometimes can, so the hard look is pretty much all that's open to you.
I kinda agree here with shaving it all off. Most men who are balding can pull this off. AND there are plenty of women who think a bald head is sexy... Look at Bruce Willis... I saw him on Friends reruns the other night with a full head of hair and I thought for sure that was a rug! He looked so weird compared to his bald look.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:15 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,983,791 times
After trying meds and miracle cures you will eventually settle on something you may not like but will learn to live with. My son just cut his hair to a 1 but has a will prob wear some facial scruff for a couple of weeks until the scalp stops showing, just for contrast and a different look. He has the "M" and it will continue to recede because that's what happened to his dad and his grandfather. He shaves it off occasionally because he hates dealing with his hair and a clean slate gives him months of effortless grooming. A friend of his is balding in his mid 20's and he just cueballed himself for a special event and is now considering keeping it < 1/2" at all times. You can't always fight nature and thankfully we are living in a time when hair is optional.

Most people have things about themselves that bother them, I know I do. Personally, I just avoid mirrors and try not to dwell on my problem areas. Life is better that way.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:00 AM

246 posts, read 420,320 times
To those guys looking for a solution. I would say from the people I know, Propecia and Avodart definitely help reduce hair loss and even regrow hair.

My brother has more hair now than he did at age 25 after early balding. He is so happy he didn't listen to the scare stories and actually based his decision on science.

Not everyone wants to be bald or even feels comfortable being bald. There are options, you don't have to settle.

Try the therapies out there and keep your hair if you want. Trust me, there are solutions that work.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:32 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,161,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
This advice is outdated. Basically, the short or shaved hair on bald men is nothing but the combover of the 90s. It's a form of vanity and baldness denial just as bad as a wig.

Better to go bald in an in your face style, like Larry David, Gerald Ford, Robert Duvall, David Crosby etc. [Snip.]
Mod cut. I'm [snip], bald & shave my head, and know I look much better than I did when I let my hair grow out. After I started shaving my head I got a lot of unsolicited compliments (primarily from women) saying that I looked better than I did when I let my hair grow out.

I actually think that bald guys who let their hair grow long are just drawing attention to their baldness, i.e. many of the examples you gave above.

And, anyone who thinks a bald guys that shaves his head is the same as a bald guy with a comb-over is delusional & clueless. If you have a comb-over, you're trying to unsuccessfully hide the fact that you're bald. Conversely, if you shave your head, you're embracing your baldness.

And, you're saying that shaving your head is the same as having a wig? What planet are you from? Have you seen how horrible & fake some wigs out there look? Shaving your head looks much better.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-13-2015 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Replies to comment which has been deleted.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:35 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,813,720 times
I've been on and off Propecia since i was 25 years old, the side effect has gone worse over the years. I am 37 soon with a lovely wife and 2 kids. and I think it's time to giving up worrying about my hair and cut my hair very short until it's time to shave it.

Gotta say, Propecia did help a lot, it obviously stopped my hairloss and regaine some hair, but due to very bad side effects, it's really not worth it to hang on to the hair it gains.

You could try it, and see if you get side effects. I think sides are less for younger folks.

My personal side effects includes, personally experiences, not what listed on the prescription bottle.

1) Sexual Side effects.
2) Minor depression, I do know what depression feels like. Hard to explain, but it's depression. Last pill i took was 3 days ago, I feel little better.
3) Concerns about Terminal prostate cancer. (Just a concern since it's listed in the bottle)

I don't have any other side effects as far as I know.

There are only 2 things work for hairloss, 1 is propecia, 2 is rogaine, used both, you are almost guaranteed to control hairloss and grow some more.

Last edited by bbnetworking; 08-04-2015 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,465,644 times
I just have to say…hair loss at such a young age sucks. I am a 24 year old gay male, and it stresses me out beyond belief. I am taking finasteride and currently have a hair transplant surgery scheduled for the end of this month. And it is not cheap.
The price of beauty is steep, and there is no guarantee this will fix my problem. It's 2015 and there's no miracle treatment. I wish that there was.

People on here telling the OP to get over it and just go bald, to you I say, not everyone is comfortable with that, and not everyone will look good bald. It only works for some people. You have no idea how stressful it is standing in front of the mirror trying to style your hair into something presentable just for it to be futile every time and look bad.

Men with hair I will forever envy you. You have no idea how fortunate you are to have thick full hair. I would do anything for it. It's especially bad for me to suffer from this, because in gay culture, your looks are everything if you even want to stand a chance. You must have perfect hair. That's something I will always lack. Luckily I look good in hats, but I wish the miracle treatment really would come along. I know that is far-fetched and will likely never happen, but a guy can wish.

I cannot go bald for the reason that I have a few creases/furrows in my scalp that would be revealed and they are not pleasant to look at. It just plain sucks. I wish I wasn't a prisoner to something I cannot control about my appearance. Yeah I am coming more to terms with it and trying not to be a baby about it, but it hard to be rock solid in your confidence when you know you are lacking.

Luckily I have other good traits that make up for it, but it's always something I will be self-conscious about. And as far as the sexual side effects…finasteride has not decreased my libido. I think my doctor said that effects only about 7% of men taking it.

This is America and many people are vain and shine a spotlight on outward appearances. I hate all the pressure.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:31 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,813,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude91 View Post
I just have to say…hair loss at such a young age sucks. I am a 24 year old gay male, and it stresses me out beyond belief. I am taking finasteride and currently have a hair transplant surgery scheduled for the end of this month. And it is not cheap.
The price of beauty is steep, and there is no guarantee this will fix my problem. It's 2015 and there's no miracle treatment. I wish that there was.

People on here telling the OP to get over it and just go bald, to you I say, not everyone is comfortable with that, and not everyone will look good bald. It only works for some people. You have no idea how stressful it is standing in front of the mirror trying to style your hair into something presentable just for it to be futile every time and look bad.

Men with hair I will forever envy you. You have no idea how fortunate you are to have thick full hair. I would do anything for it. It's especially bad for me to suffer from this, because in gay culture, your looks are everything if you even want to stand a chance. You must have perfect hair. That's something I will always lack. Luckily I look good in hats, but I wish the miracle treatment really would come along. I know that is far-fetched and will likely never happen, but a guy can wish.

I cannot go bald for the reason that I have a few creases/furrows in my scalp that would be revealed and they are not pleasant to look at. It just plain sucks. I wish I wasn't a prisoner to something I cannot control about my appearance. Yeah I am coming more to terms with it and trying not to be a baby about it, but it hard to be rock solid in your confidence when you know you are lacking.

Luckily I have other good traits that make up for it, but it's always something I will be self-conscious about. And as far as the sexual side effects…finasteride has not decreased my libido. I think my doctor said that effects only about 7% of men taking it.

This is America and many people are vain and shine a spotlight on outward appearances. I hate all the pressure.
Wow, not only I totally know how you feel, I felt the same way back when I was 25 years old.

I think the older you get, the less you started to care about your hair or even look for that matter. One of the reasons why older people are tend to be overweight and doing less exercises, I know I care less about my hair compare to when I was in my 20s.

I won't tell you to stop worry about your hair, if Propecia didn't give you side effects, continue to take it, but do use it with Rogain twice a day.

There's nothing else will help except for the Hair Transplant, I have heard many horror stories about the Hair Transplant, although in the ads, all you see are the good looking men with before / after photos, keep in mind, they are ads.

There's a guy at my work, who is bold now, there's a huge scar on the back of his head (probably did the transplants years ago, make him look much worse), keep that in mind and make sure you find a good surgeon, take your time to research and don't rush into it.

Wish you best of luck and make sure you check out

http://thebaldtruth.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty