Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:14 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,165,452 times

Advertisements

I would highly recommend against getting a hair transplant. As was said, if you do this you will get a scar/scars on the top of your head. And, if you decide to shave your head later (if the hair transplant doesn't work out and/or you don't like it), then these scars will be extremely noticeable/embarrassing.

I also talked to someone who had a hair transplant a while back. They said their entire top of their head was numb for a month after the transplant. This doesn't sound healthy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 02:31 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,248,365 times
Acceptance not avoidance.

Be bald and proud!

Old 08-04-2015, 02:45 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,834,949 times
I was going to chime in anyway, but now I have to counter misinformation again. If the method is right, the hair transplant could leave no visible scar, and I don't think any method scars the top of the head. I suppose numbness is more likely the bigger a transplant it is, and I doubt he was talking a big procedure. Also, I was 24 once, and I don't care any less about my hair years later. I'll guess that it's even less likely a gay guy would accept hair loss over the years.

Still, I'd warn about a transplant age 24, because if it's the front, years very likely will kill more hair there, even while on medication. Maybe a series of transplants plus concealer or a deceptive hairstyle will look good enough for decades.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:03 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,817,522 times
There are only 2 types of hair transplant out there.

F UT = Old method but cheaper, cut your skin out in stripes, definitely leave scars in the donated area. I would avoid this at all costs.

F UT scar example: My coworker has this, it looks really bad.

FUE = New method, twice as expensive as ***. They claimed no scars, but it still does leave dot-type of scars.

FUE scar example:

Old 08-04-2015, 04:04 PM

Yes - I knew hair transplants still left scars. I don't know of any surgery that doesn't leave some kind of scar.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:14 PM

101 posts, read 414,840 times
Oh, man. That sucks. I remember making fun of my now husband when he was about 19 years old with thinning hair: "You're gonna go bald if you keep wearing baseball caps!"

Sure enough. He did. He's bald/has a receding hairline, although I don't think the baseball caps actually caused it. It's in the genes. He grows a goatee to compensate. Sometimes, he grows a handlebar mustache, the kind you twirl out to there. Yeah. That's my man.

Shave it brother! And grow a goatee or handlebar mustache -- occasionally!

My husband says he grows the handlebar 'stache because that's the only hair he can grow. It makes him quite popular. And for Halloween, he wears a "hair system." The real hair system made from real hair. It throws EVERYONE who knows him off. haha. He sure looks good with hair! His mom used to say he looks like Brad Pitt.

Just shave it. You'll look so much better!

And grow the 'stache and twirl it. It'll be fun!

Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,451,438 times
Most male Hollywood stars seem to have receding hairlines. so something must be working! It's true bald is sexy. Either get a transplant, or accept your genetics. Either is fine. Your choice.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_my_travels View Post
Oh, man. That sucks. I remember making fun of my now husband when he was about 19 years old with thinning hair: "You're gonna go bald if you keep wearing baseball caps!"

Sure enough. He did. He's bald/has a receding hairline, although I don't think the baseball caps actually caused it. It's in the genes. He grows a goatee to compensate. Sometimes, he grows a handlebar mustache, the kind you twirl out to there. Yeah. That's my man.

Shave it brother! And grow a goatee or handlebar mustache -- occasionally!

My husband says he grows the handlebar 'stache because that's the only hair he can grow. It makes him quite popular. And for Halloween, he wears a "hair system." The real hair system made from real hair. It throws EVERYONE who knows him off. haha. He sure looks good with hair! His mom used to say he looks like Brad Pitt.

Just shave it. You'll look so much better!

And grow the 'stache and twirl it. It'll be fun!
I have a picture of my dad at twenty, hairline already notably receeding. All his brothers did too. Probably from dad, but he died when they were small so no pictures of him.

My son got the red hair from dad, but unfortunately the hairline from grandpa, mom's side. He looks a lot like dad did in that picture except for hair color. He's decided its easier to be philosophical. He just keeps it short and is concentrating on life. He and his wife moved two states away for a job and are out persuing life.

I never saw dad with hair, so its just normal to think of him without. Same dad as he would have been with hair.

I got extra fine hair from mom and all these poofy hair styles were so not good for it. Teasing it and those tight curlers just make it break off faster. It broke off easier if you tried to 'thicken' it with stuff that 'puffed' the hair strands. I quit worrying, turned to henna for hair color and if its thin, its thin but its itself.

Good for your husband and accepting his head as it is and worrying about important things.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 AM

246 posts, read 420,759 times
Ok, I can totally respect how some guys feel it is empowering to do the shaved/bald thing, I understand, but I think it is wrong to tell everyone to "just accept it". There are options and they work and work VERY WELL for some, including people I know:

My brother started Propecia in his early 20's after noticing diffuse thinning and others were making some jokes about him going bald. He was devastated, especially to have this happen so early. Young college age guy, good looking, he was not interested in going for the shaved head look, he didn't feel it fit him at all. I understand, doesn't always look good on everyone.

He saw a dermatologist and used propecia as his only treatment for about 11 years. It is VERY safe, most of the side effects are very overblown and do not happen to more than 95% of people. Also, people attribute effects to Finasteride that are not in fact finasteride's fault. Lot's of scare stories, self diagnosis hysteria not backed by science.

People I know taking it are NOT having sexual side effects. All have multiple kids and still have active sex lives including those having taken Finasteride after over a decade of treatment. Those reporting sexual side effects are a very small percentage and within the statistical margin of error to attribute to other causes.

Propecia worked great for my brother. He had some modest regrowth and held his hairline the entire time. He had diffuse thinning and that thinning seemed to stop.

Fast forward 11 years, he still had the same amount of hair he did in college. More than when he started for sure. Honestly, amazing because another brother of ours who didn't use anything and who used to make fun of him now had noticeably less hair that the brother who started treatment 11 years ago. Of course, he was now sheepishly going to the brother that used propecia and asked what he needed to do to stop his hair loss

However, now the one brother who used for 11 years thought that his hair might be thinning a bit again, I say might because I saw no change, but he wanted to do more. BTW, propecia long term studies show that it can essentially hold off DHT related hair loss indefinitely. I think he was getting worried because he was now in his late 30's and was getting worried about the big 4-0. He looks very young for his age.

However, he saw a dermatologist and they changed his treatment a bit. The doctor was familiar with a very recent study being done in Australia regarding the use of Avodart and Propecia. He takes 1mg of Finasteride (Propecia) a day and 0.5 mg of Avodart once to twice a week.

The results have been noticeable. His hair is DEFINITELY thicker better coverage. He is wearing his hair in styles and cuts that he hasn't been able to pull off for like 15 years. EVERYONE who knows his journey for the last decade have all commented about how his hair looks better, including mom, and moms notice EVERYTHING, including things like their boy's hair. He has more hair than he did when he was in his early 20's. You can easily see that from his pictures. My other brother is starting treatment because his older brother now looks younger than him

His only regret is that he did not use Avodart (Dutasteride) sooner. He didn't use it because he was scared off by fearful and unscientific comments in forum boards where people made outlandish scare stories that were so far from truth. That's why I say make decisions based on science. The science shows that DHT blockers work and work well. There are long term studies on Finasteride showing its safety for the VAST majority of people. The Dutasteride/Finasteride combo works. You could also just use a total Dutasteride solution, there are lots of options. I can say, it works in our family, it works amazingly well.

Here is a link to the study:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...909.x/abstract

Here is a page of two twins who have used Dutasteride/Avodart. One has used for like 12 years, one didn't until recently. Judge the pictures for yourself.

Twins Hair Loss | Stop Thinning Hair Loss | Dutasteride

You don't have to go bald, you can if you want, and that is totally ok. Bald guys are totally cool, but at the same time, there is nothing wrong with keeping your hair. I think some guys encourage others to go bald because deep down they are insecure about it and feel better if there are more bald brothers out there.

Last edited by Calix; 08-06-2015 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 12:36 PM

OK, good to know for those balding guys who want alternatives to shaving their heads. I definitely think the method you describe above is far safer than hair transplants - especially since I'm very much against unnecessary (i.e. elective) surgery in all cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
You don't have to go bald, you can if you want, and that is totally ok. Bald guys are totally cool, but at the same time, there is nothing wrong with keeping your hair. I think some guys encourage others to go bald because deep down they are insecure about it and feel better if there are more bald brothers out there.
Actually, that's not the case with me. I'm bald & shave my head, and know I look great. I could care less if others do this - in fact, I wish less guys would shave their heads because it's too mainstream. As it stands now, so many bald guys - and guys will full heads of hair - shave their heads that the look has become common-place - which results in the look being less unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty