U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:56 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,992,564 times

Advertisements

This thread is hilarious.

Wear it or not, OP.

Just don't get all upset if people think you look weird.

And, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that whatever brand of "nobility" you're on is so far from the tree that nobody in the "nobility" can see it, because the watches you described aren't worn by European nobility. They wear Pateks and the like.

The watches you described are worn by people who have a decent amount in the bank (or good credit to buy them) that want to impress other people. Or just like watches, I mean, whatever.

My point being.... you're a peacock. If you like being a peacock, go for it.

But, if you want to fit in in WHATEVER country you're in at the moment? Emulate the style(s) of the men who appear to be closest to you in social status in WHATEVER country.

In the US, you being the 12th cousin 8 times removed from a noble house in Europe means absolutely nothing to us.

And probably doesn't to anyone in Europe unless you're related to them.

Last edited by RedZin; 05-14-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 PM

21,576 posts, read 26,211,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
In the US, you being the 12 cousin 8 times removed from a noble house in Europe means absolutely nothing to us.

And probably doesn't to anyone in Europe unless you're related to them.
Those of us who have checked it out can usually find some connection to European royalty in our pedigree if we have lines going back to colonial America.

I guess that means I should go out and purchase a tiara.

Charlemagne’s DNA and Our Universal Royalty – Phenomena

"Everyone who lived a thousand years ago who has any descendants today is an ancestor of every European. Charlemagne for everyone!"

So hello to Treffer and all my cousins here!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:37 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,992,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Those of us who have checked it out can usually find some connection to European royalty in our pedigree if we have lines going back to colonial America.

I guess that means I should go out and purchase a tiara.

Charlemagne’s DNA and Our Universal Royalty – Phenomena

"Everyone who lived a thousand years ago who has any descendants today is an ancestor of every European. Charlemagne for everyone!"

So hello to Treffer and all my cousins here!
I could get behind the wearing of tiaras.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:40 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,662,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
Hi

I'm a degreed senior professional (6-figure salary) late 30s male. My dad's family is Latin-European (Portuguese) and my mom's Asian (Indian). In both these cultures men wearing jewellery (even "blingy" pieces) is quite common and I grew up in an environment where even the average Joe sported decent pieces. However, its becoming too often that my taste in jewellery is thought to say something about my sexual preference.

When I'm in formal clothing, I would traditionally wear:
- An earing on my left ear (simple stud/hoop);
- A gold gem-studded boutonniere (alternating with a pocket square or a beaded flag lapel pin depending on occasion);
- A neckchain either in Yellow Gold (with Blazer/Sports Coat) or Platinum (formal 2 piece suit) over my shirt ending under my tie;
- A wrist watch (I collect fine Swiss time pieces, Rolex/Cartier/Omega/JLC etc) on my left wrist;
- A yellow gold arm chain on my right wrist;
- Cufflinks (mainly gold gem-studded);
- Right hand: 2 tone White/Yellow Gold Thumb ring & Yellow Gold and Diamond Pinky Ring;
- Left hand: Yellow gold and diamond dress ring;
All the rings are in very masculine settings and many of the pieces are inherited items (so other men before me had no problem wearing them and I would rather wear them than leave them in a safe!)
Also although the list seems long its no Liberace look for sure!

Since I've been working on my career and I've been hit quite badly by the "great recession" I haven't had the opportunity to settle down in a meaningful romantic relationship. And just being single in my 30s raises some eyebrows!

As far as sexual preference goes I've decided to marry a wonderful woman (how we met is the subject of a different posting) but because my interest in helping people (I think single people have more time to do that) is so often thought to have selfish/ulterior motives ("he wants to get into your pants!") by both guys and gals I've decided that that I will wear, for now, a mangagement ring (I've decided on a platinum 0.5ct diamond - again in a very manly setting) and just a plain platinum and white gold wedding band.

I will openly admit that I am metrosexual, I pay attention to what I wear, work out daily and eat healthily to keep my body in good shape and enjoy wearing fine fragrances [Acqua di Gio Essenza is my "signature scent"]. I think I work very hard and have had to make many sacrifices to afford these luxuries and therefore should spoil myself [Life is short and if I don't spoil myself I've learnt no one else will] and I'd like to think it says something about loving myself.

What I can't understand is how jewellery has come to be an expression/symbol of sexual preference? Is it a "redneck American thing", is it a "Cowboy's don't cry", sort of thing. I am actually quite frustrted by the assumption that I'd like to be with another guy and indeed by my colleagues outright asking me this! I'd would think that in 2015 people would be quite upfront about their sexuality and secret symbols should have past their sell-by-date.

I'd really like to know how jewellery took on this meaning and how others who like to spoil themselves this way react to the stigma. Please share your thoughts:
What has really happened is that you have become aware of the presumption, not the presumption starting to occur. Men who decorate themselves are often presumed to be gay, either open or on the down low - but what's wrong with that? Its a rebuttable presumption. However, a guy using the phrase they are going to "spoil themselves" doesn't really help tho!

Old 05-14-2015, 11:17 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,990,988 times
If I saw a man in that much jewelry, I'd probably call him Guido.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:13 PM

4,864 posts, read 2,234,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
Hi

I'm a degreed senior professional (6-figure salary) late 30s male. My dad's family is Latin-European (Portuguese) and my mom's Asian (Indian). In both these cultures men wearing jewellery (even "blingy" pieces) is quite common and I grew up in an environment where even the average Joe sported decent pieces. However, its becoming too often that my taste in jewellery is thought to say something about my sexual preference.

When I'm in formal clothing, I would traditionally wear:
- An earing on my left ear (simple stud/hoop);
- A gold gem-studded boutonniere (alternating with a pocket square or a beaded flag lapel pin depending on occasion);
- A neckchain either in Yellow Gold (with Blazer/Sports Coat) or Platinum (formal 2 piece suit) over my shirt ending under my tie;
- A wrist watch (I collect fine Swiss time pieces, Rolex/Cartier/Omega/JLC etc) on my left wrist;
- A yellow gold arm chain on my right wrist;
- Cufflinks (mainly gold gem-studded);
- Right hand: 2 tone White/Yellow Gold Thumb ring & Yellow Gold and Diamond Pinky Ring;
- Left hand: Yellow gold and diamond dress ring;
All the rings are in very masculine settings and many of the pieces are inherited items (so other men before me had no problem wearing them and I would rather wear them than leave them in a safe!)
Also although the list seems long its no Liberace look for sure!

Since I've been working on my career and I've been hit quite badly by the "great recession" I haven't had the opportunity to settle down in a meaningful romantic relationship. And just being single in my 30s raises some eyebrows!

As far as sexual preference goes I've decided to marry a wonderful woman (how we met is the subject of a different posting) but because my interest in helping people (I think single people have more time to do that) is so often thought to have selfish/ulterior motives ("he wants to get into your pants!") by both guys and gals I've decided that that I will wear, for now, a mangagement ring (I've decided on a platinum 0.5ct diamond - again in a very manly setting) and just a plain platinum and white gold wedding band.

I will openly admit that I am metrosexual, I pay attention to what I wear, work out daily and eat healthily to keep my body in good shape and enjoy wearing fine fragrances [Acqua di Gio Essenza is my "signature scent"]. I think I work very hard and have had to make many sacrifices to afford these luxuries and therefore should spoil myself [Life is short and if I don't spoil myself I've learnt no one else will] and I'd like to think it says something about loving myself.

What I can't understand is how jewellery has come to be an expression/symbol of sexual preference? Is it a "redneck American thing", is it a "Cowboy's don't cry", sort of thing. I am actually quite frustrted by the assumption that I'd like to be with another guy and indeed by my colleagues outright asking me this! I'd would think that in 2015 people would be quite upfront about their sexuality and secret symbols should have past their sell-by-date.

I'd really like to know how jewellery took on this meaning and how others who like to spoil themselves this way react to the stigma. Please share your thoughts:

You have to realize it is a cultural difference and I know many Indian men who dress up but it looks weird to "Redneck" America who think fashion consists of a "Fruit of the Loom" underwear and a beer gut.
Don't worry about it and continue with your fashion self.
Peace!

Old 05-14-2015, 03:28 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,824,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You have to realize it is a cultural difference and I know many Indian men who dress up but it looks weird to "Redneck" America who think fashion consists of a "Fruit of the Loom" underwear and a beer gut.
Also looks weird to the rest of America that is not redneck...

Old 05-14-2015, 03:36 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,662,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Don't worry about it and continue with your fashion self.
Peace!
Redneck guys are more likely to wear flashy gold neck chains than the WASPy executive on Madison avenue. I think you've got it upside down.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 AM

6 posts, read 4,378 times
It is easy to make a value judgment about a person using something such as jewelry, clothing, hairstyle, and more as a guide.

It means that it's possible to assess a person without making any effort to get to know that person. To decide something almost "in a flash", and to use something very dear to a person (opinion) to make up a rule.

But there's usually no sense in that kind of assessment. You're proof of that.

As others have hinted at, here and elsewhere, there are stereotypes that seem to be held up for men to live in accordance with. I have to admit that I've not been immune from that kind of thing.

But there is nothing more satisfying than to remove that kind of feeling about yourself. You don't have to live up to anything except your idea of the person you are.

Sure, it might help if you have a few snappy smart answers to anyone who tackles you about jewelry etc. But I believe that most people don't have the testicular strength to do that. Instead, they will talk about you behind your back. But they might do that anyway. So don't bother with them.

Be who you are, because that's what you will excel at.
However hard you try to match somebody else's image of what you should be like, you will fail.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:59 AM

6 posts, read 4,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
<snip>
... the watches you described aren't worn by European nobility. They wear Pateks and the like.
<snip>
In my experience, if they are true royals, they will not be wearing watches unless the activity they are engaged in demands that they have an idea what time it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or