U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:50 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,758,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
I have three choices:

(1) keep inherited stuff in a safe - what's the purpose? If I'm not prepared to wear them why should anyone else, so save them for whom?
(2) sell the items and invest the monies elsewhere: I actually don't think this is morally right (they did belong to my fathers) and I don't need the extra money anyway.
(3) wear the pieces - thanks' for the boost of confidence
Actually, you have a fourth choice:
Wear the pieces, but not all at the same time.

Seriously.
Less is more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 01:54 PM

32,010 posts, read 17,278,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
"Guy X from accounting" might be a gold digger! If not, apparently he doesn't recognize gay jewelry when he sees it. This is gay jewelry:

Stainless Steel Channel Set Gay Pride Rainbow Band Ring
I don't know of any gay man who would wear that ring. My god, that is so cheap, it's funny. $14.99, huh? Yeah, right. But if it helps maintain your negative belief system, have at it.

Wear what you see fit, OP. Most Americans are very conformist.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:24 PM

21,142 posts, read 22,130,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Actually, you have a fourth choice:
Wear the pieces, but not all at the same time.

Seriously.
Less is more.

OP - obviously do what you are comfortable with but do consider the "less is more" idea. If only because when you wear a lot of "bling" at the same time it's hard to know what to look at, and frankly it can distract from what you are trying to accomplish, especially in a professional workplace. Wouldn't you rather people focused on you and your work/ideas, and also noticed a striking piece of jewelry rather than the other way around? Added bonus, especially with unusual/inherited pieces, is that wearing them one at a time, people may be more inclined to ask about the history of the piece.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:25 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,576,233 times
It's not, stop listening to dumb people.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:42 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,246,366 times
Wow, over the top. I would not think you’re gay by the jewelry only by your actions. My first thought would be if you are a celebrity or wannabe. I would size you up quickly by your wardrobe, shoes and style. I personally will not wear any jewelry, no watch, chains, cufflinks not even my wedding ring and certainly no earring. But to each his own, wear whatever you like and don’t be surprised if people judge. We have a saying here in Texas 'all hat, no cattle.'

Old 04-18-2015, 03:08 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,824,249 times
If you're happy..then own your look no matter what others say.... but really that is quite over the top.

The fact is that to many people in the US the look is going to be off-putting as it screams overcompensating douchebag to most.

Just know that you're going to get comments and you are going to need to evaluate just how much you want to stand out and how you're going to handle it if you're going to wear that much bling.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:54 PM

27 posts, read 25,069 times
I actually don't care if you believe it or not. Just sharing some thoughts with people and getting their opinions. You are entitled to yours. And I am certainly not out to convince anyone about anything!
Since when is jewellery gay?-lapel-1-.jpg
I don't know if this picture is well taken. I wore a charcoal grey suit today with a navy blue tie. See picture of my coat showing today's buttoneer. Its 18k gold, with 6x0.3ct sapphires and 13 about 0.15ct diamonds. Seen one like it before?

Old 04-18-2015, 04:00 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,758,561 times
Quote:
I don't know if this picture is well taken. I wore a charcoal grey suit today with a navy blue tie. See picture of my coat showing today's buttoneer. Its 18k gold, with 6x0.3ct sapphires and 13 about 0.15ct diamonds. Seen one like it before?
I have seen brooches that are similar to that... but only on ladies (and elderly ones to boot).

Old 04-18-2015, 04:20 PM

13,560 posts, read 11,064,500 times
Speak about 'Blinged Out'! Very ostentatious I must say, especially the dope rope under the tie; Stylin profilin!

My Roger Dubuis or Audemars Piguet on my wrist is as jeweled as I'll get.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:23 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,497,448 times
Quote:
I actually don't care if you believe it or not. Just sharing some thoughts with people and getting their opinions. You are entitled to yours. And I am certainly not out to convince anyone about anything!
Attachment 148390
Not on a man.

From your comments, it also seems you don't care about the input you got for a Question "You Asked."
Seems to me, people gave you an honest appraisal, but it seems pretty evident you wanted "Approval" instead.

I don't think anyone really cares what you wear, or how much of it you wear, since your the only one that is affected. I say wear what you want, but don't ask when you really don't want to know.

Now you add that pin, with trimmings and it gets even weirder. And It screams Gay, in my opinion.

You also seem to think what you wear gives you a wealthy status among your peers. Wrong! No one with a lot of money, that I know, would go out in public with all that bling, which starts to look like "Costume Jewelry" after a point, or some one with very bad taste. But I guess no one is going to get that fact into your head, and that's OK, just don't get agitated by people when they see you and stick a label on you, from first impressions, which stays with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or