U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:30 AM

27 posts, read 25,029 times

Advertisements

Great post, I wish more of the posters on this thread could read and understand what you mean.

My employer has actually made it compulsory for employees to attend a course about being effective in inter-cultural contexts this year, for all of us [particularly those of us who like to think we hold the "hard skills" in the organisations].

The truth is that when you sit down to dinner with me you would be sitting down with a member of a European noble family. However, its becoming increasingly commonplace for us not to use our titles in professional international settings. That's what we consider ostentatious not the kind of jewellery we wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,194,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
Great post, I wish more of the posters on this thread could read and understand what you mean.

My employer has actually made it compulsory for employees to attend a course about being effective in inter-cultural contexts this year, for all of us [particularly those of us who like to think we hold the "hard skills" in the organisations].

The truth is that when you sit down to dinner with me you would be sitting down with a member of a European noble family. However, its becoming increasingly commonplace for us not to use our titles in professional international settings. That's what we consider ostentatious not the kind of jewellery we wear.
I respect the right of every culture out there, meaning you make those choices, do not let me dictate how you should act. It bothers me that many people feel like they need to control others that have different views when it comes to behaviors. It's narcissistic, domineering, and down right disrespectful to tell someone else how to operate. I've seen others get outright mad at people for eating without having everyone served and it was obviously not in their culture to have to sit there and wait and not sit there and be yelled at for it. In those instances it is disrespect on the person calling them out for it. We are all different, and we should celebrate these differences. It's rude to think someone can dominate and enforce their cultural views on other people, no matter what your status, title, net worth. You speak to the janitor the same way you speak to the CEO.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Quote:
Thank for being prepared to look beyond the jewellery and see action. I suppose in your American worldview the fact that I come from a European noble family would equate me to a "celebrity".

Funny how none of my jewellery/fragrances raise any eyebrows across the Atlantic.
Lol...no....just becsuse you may have a connection to minor nobility doesn't make you a celebrity in any way. Does make you sound like a braggert.

Oh and very few prople here have equated your jewellery to bring gay ....just a few trolls. Most have just said it's over the top.....which is it seems a valid opinion.

Only one person mentioned your fragrence at all......hardly enough to form an opinion on what 'everyone ' thinks. Its not a bad dcent if you dont bathe in it....but it's hardly a high end fragrance since it can be picked up at any local Macy's.

Honestly, asking this question at all.....for all your bragging about wealth and nobility and looking down your nos at Americans....you seem a bit insecure.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Right! The real problem is the O.P. doesn't look like any standard issue Murican, so he must be a baddie of some sort.
EXACTLY I'M NOT AN AMERICAN and have not inclination to be one. I come from a very old well-established European noble house. We generally would never tell you (in 2015 most of us think its irrelevant and boastful), what you will see is elite private high schools, ivy league colleges, employment at international organisations and a great deal of personal travel...and in many cases, a good deal of personal jewellery.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:44 AM

502 posts, read 613,870 times
Quote:
EXACTLY I'M NOT AN AMERICAN and have not inclination to be one. I come from a very old well-established European noble house. We generally would never tell you (in 2015 most of us think its irrelevant and boastful), what you will see is elite private high schools, ivy league colleges, employment at international organisations and a great deal of personal travel...and in many cases, a good deal of personal jewellery.
I guarantee it that you don't belong to a noble European family with you being half Indian. I'm quite familiar with how the European nobility and lineage works.
If your real life personality is half as shallow as you have shown in this thread, I can totally see how big of a turn off you are. You asked for peoples's opinion and they gave it to you. If I saw you in real life I would think of you as a clown. I have a lot more respect for gays to think your one.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:47 AM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
The only time I've seen persons from "very old well-established European houses" dress the way you describe is in social settings where the costume of royalty is expected...and that's not even the costume of royalty that you described. No military decorations? No elements of heraldry?

A high-end watch, a single high-end ring, and a high-end car, yes. All that gaudiness? No.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:12 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,550,354 times
I'm a woman and I like when men where jewelry. My son wheres kids jewelry and his little gfs love it. I wouldn't ask guys if they like it, most American men don't care about fashion.
I like it when men where all kinds of decoration. It's not a gay thing to me. I even like guys who where man skirts though, so I'm not your typical mid American kind of woman.
My advice:
Stick to living on either coast and you'll be fine. The middle of the country is a different view. More mixed culture on the coasts and more fashion.
A lot of men where jewelry in California, and New York, Florida, Washington. Not many wear it in Oklahoma, or the like. That said, I don't like bad attitudes so loosen up a bit first.

Sport it!! Johnny does.
Attached Thumbnails
Since when is jewellery gay?-screen-shot-2015-04-19-10.11.07  

Old 04-19-2015, 11:52 AM

847 posts, read 891,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm a woman and I like when men where jewelry. My son wheres kids jewelry and his little gfs love it. I wouldn't ask guys if they like it, most American men don't care about fashion.
I like it when men where all kinds of decoration. It's not a gay thing to me. I even like guys who where man skirts though, so I'm not your typical mid American kind of woman.
My advice:
Stick to living on either coast and you'll be fine. The middle of the country is a different view. More mixed culture on the coasts and more fashion.
A lot of men where jewelry in California, and New York, Florida, Washington. Not many wear it in Oklahoma, or the like. That said, I don't like bad attitudes so loosen up a bit first.

Sport it!! Johnny does.
uhhhh.........Johnny Depp is a celebrity. Getting all glammed up or being flamboyant is part of the schtick in Hollywood. Not quite the same as your average Joe working as a bean counter.

You've just proving a point that numerous posters have already made. Besides, with Depp's range and the variety of roles he's played, anybody who can do a Google search can find a picture of him to support most any fashion argument. Look - Johnny dresses like a rumpled PI - must be fashionable

Old 04-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
I guarantee it that you don't belong to a noble European family with you being half Indian. I'm quite familiar with how the European nobility and lineage works.
So now you a degree in genealogy? Or are you just offended that someone doesn't dream about being an American? Or reflecting your racist views upon European nobility.

I'm prepared to bet some real money on my heritage. Why not chat to an administrator of this site. Of course the burden to proof falls on you as you claim I'm not being truthful.

Also I'm quite offended that simply because I'm of mixed race you'd figure I'm not of European noble lineage. That is really a racial insult on European people and that my friend shows a "personality that's half as shallow as you've shown in you're post".

Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,493,726 times
Quote:

The truth is that when you sit down to dinner with me you would be sitting down with a member of a European noble family. .
And I am sure your employer did not mention one must accept what you dress like, so quit grasping at straws. You have no understanding of American culture and have no desire to learn. You still want approval, and to convince everyone your cool like that. Get over it, its not working. Costumes don't fly here. The beauty of this Country is that you can dress as you please, without approval, and we can look at you as we want, be that gay, weird, or just dressing like a clown. No one cares. If it bothers you, Good, maybe you will try to be less of a spectacle, for your own good.

Frankly, as much bragging as you do, the only thing I believe is that you like looking like a badly decorated Christmas Tree walking around in April. Nobility? No one cares. That and 2 dollars will buy you a cup of coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or