U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,763,332 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a graduate of the Gemological Institute of American and have worked in the fine jewelry biz most of my adult life. I had a somewhat "distinguished" career in fine jewelry, working as a young man in Bal Harbour Shops in Miami Beach (sorta like Rodeo Drive but in Miami), then in one of the world's most prestigious jewelry shops on NYC's Fifth Ave, and then as the manager of the Fine Jewellery (British spelling) Shop onboard the fabled Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) for four years - '94 through '98.

My Dad was in the wholesale jewelry biz, first in pearls and then in diamonds. He was one of those suited guys who had a leather briefcase with hundreds of thousands of dollars in loose diamonds inside.

I have not a thing against gentlemen wearing jewelry, but while male peacocks are the gorgeous ones, human males I think should let the females be the ones who dazzle.

I agree entirely with Mattie. If you want to wear jewelry limit it to a few very tasteful and excellent pieces. A beautiful (and expensive) watch*. A classic ring ... how about a single natural Ceylon star sapphire in a platinum setting (a good one will cost $10,000) ? A pair of understated gold cufflinks, if you're in business attire. If you must wear a gold chain it should be hidden under your shirt.

Wearing too much glitter shows a lack of refinement, education and good taste. Is it your ambition to look like a Rapper?

*Really excellent watches include: Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, Blancpain, Audemars Piguet, etc. Middle class guys who are pretentious might sport a Rolex, Cartier or Tag Heuer ... but no CEO or member of royalty would be caught dead in one of those. If you want a rugged watch that is not too expensive I recommend a Breitling or an Omega.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 PM

13,633 posts, read 8,654,691 times
Could you explain the stages that brought you to putting on that much “jewellery”? What is behind it?

Old 04-20-2015, 02:29 AM

10,053 posts, read 6,991,637 times
So jewelries are men who sleep with other men?

Interesting...

Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times
So I am from Europe and have never seen guys blinged out so much as you.

You say, where you come from, it is okay to wear so much jewelry. Which country is that?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 AM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Too much of a good thing in this culture.

When in Rome, do as the Romans. You live in the US. You have a professional job, apparently. Dress accordingly if you want to be considered a professional.

When I visit Europe, I don't generally wear jeans to dinner at a restaurant - not because I don't do it here, but because they generally don't do it THERE. If I lived there, I would follow their societal norms in general.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 AM

5,941 posts, read 2,492,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
So jewelries are men who sleep with other men?

Interesting...

Where did you see that? What's a jewelries ?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,050,028 times
It has nothing to do with the jewelry per se... gay men don't wear a lot of blinged out jewelry.

Straight american men are terrified of being thought of as gay, and are incredibly conformist, so anything outside the local norm is "gay".

If you're in cowboy country and wearing something other than tight pants and a cowboy hat, you're "probably gay." Even though the only other time you see that outfit is in gay nightclubs...

Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, I don't know that the jewelry itself is the issue, but most average American men (even gay guys) don't do the peacocking thing. They might wear a watch and their wedding ring and maybe a chain (under the shirt.) What you're describing in the OP sounds a bit excessive and isn't the cultural norm. I confess that my mental picture of a guy wearing all that you're describing is of a Jersey Shore-guido type or Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Not gay, but not exactly flattering.
That's what I was thinking, "Guido" lol!

I'm gay and wear no jewelry other than my simple wedding ring. I can't stand watches or anything on me. Although in my 20s I had a pierced ear and occasionally wore some sort of cheap necklace out to clubs, but it was in style back then.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,639,782 times
Wear whatever you want, but to me, the only thing jewelry is good for is to give the owner something to complain about when it gets lost, stolen, or broken.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM

758 posts, read 581,791 times
Exclamation No:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
Hi

I'm a degreed senior professional (6-figure salary) late 30s male. My dad's family is Latin-European (Portuguese) and my mom's Asian (Indian). In both these cultures men wearing jewellery (even "blingy" pieces) is quite common and I grew up in an environment where even the average Joe sported decent pieces. However, its becoming too often that my taste in jewellery is thought to say something about my sexual preference.

When I'm in formal clothing, I would traditionally wear:
- An earing on my left ear (simple stud/hoop);
- A gold gem-studded boutonniere (alternating with a pocket square or a beaded flag lapel pin depending on occasion);
- A neckchain either in Yellow Gold (with Blazer/Sports Coat) or Platinum (formal 2 piece suit) over my shirt ending under my tie;
- A wrist watch (I collect fine Swiss time pieces, Rolex/Cartier/Omega/JLC etc) on my left wrist;
- A yellow gold arm chain on my right wrist;
- Cufflinks (mainly gold gem-studded);
- Right hand: 2 tone White/Yellow Gold Thumb ring & Yellow Gold and Diamond Pinky Ring;
- Left hand: Yellow gold and diamond dress ring;
All the rings are in very masculine settings and many of the pieces are inherited items (so other men before me had no problem wearing them and I would rather wear them than leave them in a safe!)
Also although the list seems long its no Liberace look for sure!

Since I've been working on my career and I've been hit quite badly by the "great recession" I haven't had the opportunity to settle down in a meaningful romantic relationship. And just being single in my 30s raises some eyebrows!

As far as sexual preference goes I've decided to marry a wonderful woman (how we met is the subject of a different posting) but because my interest in helping people (I think single people have more time to do that) is so often thought to have selfish/ulterior motives ("he wants to get into your pants!") by both guys and gals I've decided that that I will wear, for now, a mangagement ring (I've decided on a platinum 0.5ct diamond - again in a very manly setting) and just a plain platinum and white gold wedding band.

I will openly admit that I am metrosexual, I pay attention to what I wear, work out daily and eat healthily to keep my body in good shape and enjoy wearing fine fragrances [Acqua di Gio Essenza is my "signature scent"]. I think I work very hard and have had to make many sacrifices to afford these luxuries and therefore should spoil myself [Life is short and if I don't spoil myself I've learnt no one else will] and I'd like to think it says something about loving myself.

What I can't understand is how jewellery has come to be an expression/symbol of sexual preference? Is it a "redneck American thing", is it a "Cowboy's don't cry", sort of thing. I am actually quite frustrted by the assumption that I'd like to be with another guy and indeed by my colleagues outright asking me this! I'd would think that in 2015 people would be quite upfront about their sexuality and secret symbols should have past their sell-by-date.

I'd really like to know how jewellery took on this meaning and how others who like to spoil themselves this way react to the stigma. Please share your thoughts:
Just wear your jewelry. People think about sex way too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or