Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
..... Please share your thoughts:
A very great many Americans have a negative obsession about gay men. Jewelry, schmoolry...it could be anything a male does or wears that someone doesn't like, it gets labelled "gay."

Do what the hell you are comfortable doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 05:50 AM

863 posts, read 1,195,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That list reads as overcompensation for shortcoming(s) in other area(s).
This was one of my first thoughts too. Whether it's a conscious effort or not, that much bling on display makes me wonder why. That much jewelry is a form of statement........just what that statement is - "I'm successful", "I'm pretty" or just "look at me" only the OP can say.

As a side note, the spelling issue is negligible......but the way the OP chose to spell the word is much more common outside of North America. Another clue?

Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
No straight guys I know wear that much Jewelry. If I saw you with all that on, I would think the same thing, and don't even know you. Sorry. You asked. You sound like you look Gay, from what you describe.
I've never ever ever seen a gay man wearing the amount of jewelry described by the O.P.

Quote:
Who cares what other folks in other Countries do. Here is not over there. In some places, a bone through your nose is fashionable. Here, kids and adults would likely run from you. Native Americans wore Leathers and Feathers. Seen any lately?
Right! The real problem is the O.P. doesn't look like any standard issue Murican, so he must be a baddie of some sort.

Quote:
....Adapt or remain a Gay poster image.
He'd have to do a lot of adapting to look gay.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:34 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
I don't even believe it, frankly.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:16 PM

87 posts, read 66,070 times
Not exactly random people coming up to me. Its more that people who share my social space (e.g., personal trainers at my gym) would tell me that is what other members are talking about. Pope Francis says that gossip is our favourite pastime.

Other than that many of my colleagues tell me "guy X from accounting/hr e.g.", thinks I look "cute" and wants to get to know me or similar kinds of statements, when I get a bit annoyed they tell me it's the image I'm projecting with my clothing/jewellery combinations.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
The chain outside the shirt under the tie --- no words to describe this. Sounds like jersey Guido. I have visions of Tony Soprano or John Travolta's character in "Staying Live." It all just sounds way, way over-the-top though I understand there is a cultural component here.

I'd consider this: don't dress for where you are. Dress for where you want to be. Look at executives ABOVE your level, not just jewelry, but clothing also.
I've been told to wear the chain underneath the shirt so that just a glimpse of it shows through an open buttoned shirt. Problem is that the tie normally goes on in the morning and stays on until quitting time.

I'm not sure about trying to imitate my seniors. The idea of doing something both "just to fit in" and to look like a "suck-up" just makes me uncomfortable.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Learn how to spell "jewelry". And I hope you don't pronounce it like you spell it!!
I'm quite offended by this comment. Actually Americans spell like they speak so American-English jewelry is the appropriate spelling. Unfortunately, if you speak English correctly (my mom call's it "the Queen's English") jewellery is the correct spelling.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:41 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
I personally don't like jewelry on men. A nice watch is all that is necessary.

I had a Customer a few months ago with a stunning watch on his wrist. I commented on how nice it was. He told me it was his gift to himself after he returned from Afghanistan. Sweet little story that I will always remember.
Now if he had all that other stuff on, I would have said nothing because all that bling would have distracted from his stunning watch.
Sometimes less is better.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
For me, personally, a man who can confidently wear jewelry (and throw in a nice cologne) is hot, hot, hot. It might be my Italian heritage, but, dayum!

Otherwise, wear your stuff with confidence. Explain the history of some of your pieces. Be bold and unafraid!
Great post, thanks. The advice to "explain the history" is actually very good indeed. My family are descendants of the Portuguese Viceroy to India (Estado da India Portuguesa) [hence my mixed Indian/Portuguese ethnicity] and many of the pieces are inherited. All the gold and gem boutonnieres are family heirlooms. And I have only ever purchased 3 cufflink sets in my life (none gold - unless you count "gold plated" - and certainly none with gems) my gold and gem cufflink collection too are family heirlooms. And I certainly won't be prepared to shell out for a platinum necklace (even if I had the extra cash), that too comes from my family. I have three choices:

(1) keep inherited stuff in a safe - what's the purpose? If I'm not prepared to wear them why should anyone else, so save them for whom?
(2) sell the items and invest the monies elsewhere: I actually don't think this is morally right (they did belong to my fathers) and I don't need the extra money anyway.
(3) wear the pieces - thanks' for the boost of confidence

Old 04-18-2015, 01:40 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
"Guy X from accounting" might be a gold digger! If not, apparently he doesn't recognize gay jewelry when he sees it. This is gay jewelry:

Stainless Steel Channel Set Gay Pride Rainbow Band Ring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty