U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:19 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,174,102 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses so far. The dresses in question do not have liners and are very lightweight material (think summer dress). I recently purchased three of them. My biggest concern is the silhouette of the crotch area so it sounds like a standard slip rather than shorts would be more likely to address this problem...although I will keep the shorts idea for dresses with liners.

One other question. There are A LOT of spanx like contorting undergarments. Any opinions on if they are better than a typical slip or just an uncomfortable mess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:47 AM

4,955 posts, read 2,575,958 times
I am a slip girl. It helps with the flow of the dress. A nice slip will prevent your dress from going in between your legs when you are walking. I prefer a full slip, they work better than half slips. Half slips, if you have to raise your arms the slip will look tacky showing.

I love my slips, besides being beneficial to the flow of the dress they always make me feel sexy

I normally find slips online at either Macy's or Nordstrom's.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:51 AM

4,955 posts, read 2,575,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post

One other question. There are A LOT of spanx like contorting undergarments. Any opinions on if they are better than a typical slip or just an uncomfortable mess?
Sounds like an uncomfortable mess. However if you have a body hugging dress it may help smooth the bumps.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:00 AM

5,158 posts, read 3,658,176 times
I wear these: http://www.amazon.com/Velrose-981-Sn...AMC7R7J7TSNZMM

and these: Velrose Snip-it 26" Culotte Slip (2402) at Amazon Women

I got one pair at each length, one for short dresses, one for long dresses. They are true to size and you can snip them off at whatever length you need. (or hem them if you don't want to cut off the extra length) The are SO comfortable and you don't have your legs sticking together in warm weather or chafting on your upper thighs. There is no silhouette of the crotch area when you wear them.
HIGHLY recommended!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:03 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,898,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
This may be a silly question but I don't normally wear dresses. I want to get a slip of some sort to avoid any see through moments, but I noticed there are now a wide variety of undergarments and plain old slips are hard to find. I see a lot of shapers that are either shorts or skirts, which ones are best for dresses? I would think the skirt ones but having shorts underneath has its own appeal. I'd live to get everyone else's thoughts and experiences. There are too many choices and I don't know where to start.

It really depends on the dress or skirt and what you are comfortable with.
This is really something in my opinion you have to try and see which you prefer, a good old fashioned slip or the undergarments you mentioned.

I don't think there is one right solution because everyone is comfortable in different things.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 AM

108 posts, read 103,566 times
You should check latest GALAXY NEBULA LEGGING MYSTICAL collection launched by Highershop. Hope you find the best.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:25 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,898,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethAuyeung View Post
You should check latest GALAXY NEBULA LEGGING MYSTICAL collection launched by Highershop. Hope you find the best.

You have posted about this particular shop more than once, are you a salesman there?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 AM

4,862 posts, read 3,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Shorts under a dress would NOT be comfortable! Get a dress...wear it around the house until you "get used" to it! As mentioned, few are "see thru" nowadays!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Shorts under a dress are VERY comfortable, especially for us curvier girls who want to avoid 'chub rub'
As mentioned, the shorts are not regular shorts, but are Spanx type shorts. I find them very comfortable. Inner thighs rubbing together is not comfortable, especially in hot, humid weather.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 AM

544 posts, read 1,142,409 times
I've had a lot of see-throughs that I can't wear outside the house living in Florida. I'd love for someone to just make S-M-L-XL liners that you could just buy to go under them.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 AM

5,860 posts, read 3,322,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
^^^^ Agreed.

Part of the purpose of a slip under a see-through dress is hide the silhouette of the crotch area and the legs. So wearing shorts would not prevent this. I think skirt slips are better.
I agree. Slips also prevent the skirt from "sticking" to your hips and rear. They also help prevent the skirt fabric from stretching out of shape when you sit. They help the skirt last longer and look nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty