U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:52 AM

1,937 posts, read 1,164,620 times

Advertisements

Way too many women fail to wear slips when they really need one these days. It's practically obscene in some cases.

If the skirt is slim and you tend to bulge, by all means get shaper shorts. But, if the skirt is flowing like a summer dress, a slip will do fine, I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:16 AM

188 posts, read 316,933 times
I just discovered "Skimmies" by jockey. So comfy and light, not binding.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,819,573 times
Most dresses are lined, so you shouldn't have to worry about the see-through thing. I usually just wear thongs so I don't have to worry about panty lines. A shaper panty or shaper panty with legs might make you feel more comfortable though.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:43 PM

13,220 posts, read 7,432,890 times
A "shaper" is the politically correct, new age term for girdle. I wear dresses every now and again, and I'm not as young as I used to be (38), and I've always had a bit of flab and cellulite, even though I'm not a fat gal. Thus I know a GIRDLE makes me look smokin' hot when I wear it under a dress So why don't you get one for it? Even if you're skinny, girdles hold everything in place and smooth you out. You can get different levels of control, so if you just want one for the smoothing effect and not to really suck you in, a light control does a good job. I do NOT recommend the Spanx brand. It's overpriced for the quality, and they run extraordinarily small, although girdles tend to run small anyways. This Hanes half slip girdle is really awesome and only sets you back about $12:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Womens-W...lf+slip+shaper

Hope this helps!

Old 04-20-2015, 02:04 PM

6,940 posts, read 7,676,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I do NOT recommend the Spanx brand. It's overpriced for the quality, and they run extraordinarily small, although girdles tend to run small anyways.
^This.

My wife tried those Spanx thingies...couldn't even get it on, and she's very petite!

I just want to say, if you go with a regular slip, please get a full one, not a half. The half slips tend to ride lower during the day (actually quicker than that) and you'll be walking around with your "slip hanging"!

Old 04-20-2015, 02:53 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,547,098 times
I disagree. I love Spanx. I tried a couple "off brands" and they were terrible! I won't get anything other than Spanx anymore. And the sizing on the package has always been pretty accurate for me. Sure, they take some effort to put on, but if they didn't, then they'd be kind of pointless.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:54 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,526,817 times
You are right, slips are hard to find. I was looking for cotton one for Summer, but couldnt find one. Ended up getting a rayon one on ebay.

Id also like to get gloves, you know, like people used to wear in the 60s? Cant find them either anymore. All you see are sports and winter gloves.

Im tired of my hands smelling like aftershave or whatever from where I hold on on the bus to work in the morning.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 PM

23,966 posts, read 31,184,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
This may be a silly question but I don't normally wear dresses. I want to get a slip of some sort to avoid any see through moments, but I noticed there are now a wide variety of undergarments and plain old slips are hard to find. I see a lot of shapers that are either shorts or skirts, which ones are best for dresses? I would think the skirt ones but having shorts underneath has its own appeal. I'd live to get everyone else's thoughts and experiences. There are too many choices and I don't know where to start.
I wear a lot of dresses, but I rarely wear a slip as I don't buy dresses that are that sheer. Most are not. Go try a few on - you find that you can manage quite nicely without one for most dresses.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:56 PM
JL

7,314 posts, read 11,491,718 times
I see women in other parts of the world wearing hot pants under their dresses now. No panties. Just hot pants.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,174,102 times
Thanks for all the suggestions, now I'm kicking myself for buying a half slip. I couldn't find a full one, only a shapers. I'll have to return the half slip and buy a full one off amazon. Maybe I'll also grab a shaper and give it a try.

Those skimmies sound neat too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty