U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:37 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,386,899 times

Advertisements

Bruce Jenner seems to like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM

14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
That's a hormonal thing as men produce estrogen and women testosterone when older. Men definitely start to look like women and Hillary looks like Dick Cheney.

Older women with a man's haircut is a bit creepy.
I live in a resort town with a high number of older retirees. I see a LOT of them that I hones-to-god can't tell right away what sex they are. It's especially bad with some of these skinny little older ladies with an uber-short wiry haircut that doesn't move.

Anyway, I already posted my opinions but people need to do what they like and what feels good to them. Butt-length hair at ANY age seems to be a lot of work, and for most people not as attractive as long hair that is a bit shorter.

I used to wear my hair mid-back when I was a lot younger, but now in my 60s keep it just past my shoulder - a good length for me because I put it up or in a pony a lot.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:15 PM

313 posts, read 244,091 times
If you are a woman who is about looking her best and it looks great on you (color/cut and it doesn't overwhelm your overall frame/look) then do it. If your cut/color and the overall look doesn't achieve the best look you are looking for, then don't do it. Find something that fits. If you don't care what others think, then wear it how you want.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:39 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,421,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What is the public perception of women in their 50s with hair down to their butt? It's not brittle grey crumply hair that's been coloured/permed for 30 years, it's naturally coloured hair that has never been permed or dyed.

When people take a long look, what are they thinking?

Long hair seems to signal youthfulness to people. When people take a long look from behind, I think they are surprised when the woman turns around and the older face doesn't match the impression of youth the hair gave.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:54 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,263 times
I have long hair, an inch or 2 from my waist. I am thinking of cutting it, I get tons of compliments and people are like "No! Don't cut it!" I'm not sure what I want to do with it. So I doubt it's the norm that long hair is ugly. I don't care much either, but I care enough to make sure I take care of it. However, I'm under 40 so maybe that's why. I refuse to just chop it off man-short when I hit 40. I think if you are going to have it long, layering it might be the way to go. That "hippie" look people refer to, I think is that one-length look that makes it look weighed-down. That old-fashioned out-dated look, I think I get what you all are talking about. But I do see long hair that is more modern that I think looks nice, if you go to like, Pinterest and search long hair styles there are a lot of very beautiful styles that I can't imagine anyone would think looks like crap.

It's funny though, my husband isn't a fan of long hair. He doesn't seem to care what I do with it, I just can never decide and I end up putting off having anything done with it. Before I know it, bam it's long.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:05 PM

6,274 posts, read 3,573,356 times
I don't think hair down to the butt, looks good on anyone...that is too long for any age.
But Longer hair on older women? I don't know...

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 04-27-2015 at 11:42 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 12:23 AM

2,563 posts, read 1,732,132 times
I don't think my grandmother on my dads side ever cut her hair more than a few times in her whole life. Her hair hung all the way down her back when she passed away at 76 years old in 1976. Her hair was mostly white and she always had her hair rolled up in a bun. She also wore dresses that went past her knees in it's length. She was widowed in 1942 and she had young kids at home to take care of and hardly any money. She was s very religious church going Pentecostal and she turned down several jobs because she couldn't wear a dress to work. It was against her religion for a woman to have short hair and wear slacks or jeans, or Bermuda shorts. Religion didn't rub off on me, but my grandother always stayed true to her religion and her hair was very long and she was a beautiful lady up until the day she died.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 AM

14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't think hair down to the butt, looks good on anyone...that is too long for any age.
But Longer hair on older women? I don't know...

Most of those ladies (maybe all of them) admit to wearing hair extensions. Christie even has her own line. I was surprised when I found out, because they are always so well done.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:00 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What is the public perception of women in their 50s with hair down to their butt? It's not brittle grey crumply hair that's been coloured/permed for 30 years, it's naturally coloured hair that has never been permed or dyed.

When people take a long look, what are they thinking?
Honestly, I think that having any woman's hair which does down to her butt is too long, regardless of this woman's age.

However, long hair (as in, shorter long hair) looks great on some older women as well; for instance, take a look at Hillary Clinton in January 2013:

Yummy!

Old 05-03-2015, 03:21 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,858,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Who cares what others think? If you like it and the hair is yours, that is all that matters!!!!!
Then why this forum? What is Fashion and Beauty about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or