U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:02 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,280,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Bruce Jenner seems to like it!
Yes, Yes, she(?*) does :

*I am unsure as to which pronouns Bruce Jenner currently prefers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:39 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,064,685 times
Each woman has to find the right hair style that works for her.

I've always had long hair, when I was younger it was waist length, really pretty. Now I wear it a little below my shoulders. Longer hair looks more feminine.

Some women do look better with shorter hair, depends on features.

I've known several women that always had short hair and grew it really long once they felt they were getting older. Not the best style because they looked better with shorter hair mainly because of their features. One of the women, hadn't seen in awhile, we meet for coffee, I didn't really recognize her with waist length hair - didn't care for the look on her because for her features, shorter hair was a better look.

Btw: the post with pics of Christie, Valerie, Marie & Michelle - these women are beautiful and very feminine. It wouldn't really matter their hair style, however, long hair suits them.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 AM

5,314 posts, read 2,886,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
What I THINK is "Gurl if only you knew how much easier life is, how much quicker you can get dressed and how much COOLER you feel with short hair, you'd chop that stuff off in a quick minute."

Just like I did last year. My hair was about bra length where your short sleeve would be....and as a dog walker I never SAW IT because it has to be UP and out of my face.

First I went chin length. Fine. BTW you look YOUNGER with hair between your chin and shoulders not dragging down your face with super long hair but whatever....

Then I kept going shorter and shorter to super short.

I LOVE IT. NO tangling and nonsense, no tons of products necessary, and it is super much cooler and I live in Florida.

Yesterday in Home Depot I took a picture of a woman with a buzz type cut with "pieces" and shocking red.

I'm going THERE next. But more auburn-ish, my natural color.

The beauty is you can experiment, it grows back FAST and you can always cover it up with a visor or cap if you don't like something about it.

And if you have NATURAL hair in your 50's then YES you have dulling and loss of color. It's nature.

At least go get a glaze and brightening it up is the OTHER thing I'd be thinking.

The OTHER thing I'd be thinking is "Why is this woman so attached to this hair? What does it represent?"

You only get ONE life why live it looking EXACTLY THE SAME and doing all that work for really, NO reason.

I know you didn't ask all that but that's what I AM THINKING.

Wow. You sure do think a LOT about other women's hair and general appearances, don't you?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 AM

5,314 posts, read 2,886,557 times
I might not think any particular woman looks good with hair down to her butt, but, then again, what I think about the way other people choose to look isn't important.

As in most other threads on CD and in life, generally, it's probably the people who are the LEAST qualified to judge others' appearances who DO most of the judging.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:34 AM

7,129 posts, read 3,951,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Okkkaaayyyyyy... but the OP specifically asked about hair down to the butt.
Is yours THAT long?
Mine is, and I love it! It is not dry and brittle! It is not dull and lifeless! I am in my 60s, but my hair must look good because every time I go out, I get compliments. I have never had anyone suggest I cut my hair.

I had short hair in my early 20s while working in a factory. I hated it and was happy when it grew out. I clip it myself, keeping ends nice; and there is even a trick for split ends that I learned in the Sixties that still works. I have auburn hair, the shade of which varies with the seasons and the amount of time spent outdoors. It is thick, slightly wavy and takes very little care. I shampoo and condition, and neither step takes much time. I wrap it in a towel to dry a little. Then, I twist it into a knot at the nape of my neck and use a scrunchy. When I release it, my hair falls in gentle waves. There's no extra work to it!

I especially liked having long hair when I went to reenactment events for about 15 years. I'd be going to them now except health isn't allowing it.

You people sound like the ones who harped at me in the Eighties to get a perm so I'd look like everyone else! I don't have a weird attachment to my tresses. I just like having long hair. What is wrong with that?! Look at Lillian Gish and other actresses who always kept their hair long~and, yes, I mean to their waists or past it. I think people have a weird mentality if they can't accept whatever hair-length someone wants.

Short hair is for some people; the rest of us like our tresses. When my hair becomes too much to manage... Well, I'll probably be such an old lady that I wouldn't care what is done to it. Till then, I'll enjoy my mane of hair and thank people for the compliments. Little children generally call me "Ariel", and I have to admit that it took me awhile to figure out why because I don't like "new Disney", thus never watched that movie. So, I suppose they're complimenting me, too. I have found that babies go for a handful if they get the chance and am used to mothers needlessly apologizing for the ensuing tugs.

Again, if you like short hair, that's OK. Leave us long-haired ladies AND gentlemen alone! Gosh! Didn't we go through this in the Sixties?!

Old 05-06-2015, 12:37 AM

12 posts, read 7,335 times
Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:23 AM

467 posts, read 350,946 times
If I was the owner of Karmin Hair Tools I would be such a happy bunny. The more people with long hair, old or young, men or women, the better!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:09 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What is the public perception of women in their 50s with hair down to their butt? It's not brittle grey crumply hair that's been coloured/permed for 30 years, it's naturally coloured hair that has never been permed or dyed.

When people take a long look, what are they thinking?
"the hippie look is sooooo over"

Old 05-06-2015, 10:11 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
Mine is, and I love it! It is not dry and brittle! It is not dull and lifeless! I am in my 60s, but my hair must look good because every time I go out, I get compliments. I have never had anyone suggest I cut my hair.

I had short hair in my early 20s while working in a factory. I hated it and was happy when it grew out. I clip it myself, keeping ends nice; and there is even a trick for split ends that I learned in the Sixties that still works. I have auburn hair, the shade of which varies with the seasons and the amount of time spent outdoors. It is thick, slightly wavy and takes very little care. I shampoo and condition, and neither step takes much time. I wrap it in a towel to dry a little. Then, I twist it into a knot at the nape of my neck and use a scrunchy. When I release it, my hair falls in gentle waves. There's no extra work to it!

I especially liked having long hair when I went to reenactment events for about 15 years. I'd be going to them now except health isn't allowing it.

You people sound like the ones who harped at me in the Eighties to get a perm so I'd look like everyone else! I don't have a weird attachment to my tresses. I just like having long hair. What is wrong with that?! Look at Lillian Gish and other actresses who always kept their hair long~and, yes, I mean to their waists or past it. I think people have a weird mentality if they can't accept whatever hair-length someone wants.

Short hair is for some people; the rest of us like our tresses. When my hair becomes too much to manage... Well, I'll probably be such an old lady that I wouldn't care what is done to it. Till then, I'll enjoy my mane of hair and thank people for the compliments. Little children generally call me "Ariel", and I have to admit that it took me awhile to figure out why because I don't like "new Disney", thus never watched that movie. So, I suppose they're complimenting me, too. I have found that babies go for a handful if they get the chance and am used to mothers needlessly apologizing for the ensuing tugs.

Again, if you like short hair, that's OK. Leave us long-haired ladies AND gentlemen alone! Gosh! Didn't we go through this in the Sixties?!
The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Old 05-06-2015, 07:22 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,064,685 times
I agree with MystMoonstruck - we did go through this in the 60's about long hair !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or