Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:43 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I have NO idea what the public thinks...
but, personally, I think that hair at the butt rarely looks good on anyone, no matter what the gender or age.
Absolutely agree. I think, dirty, unsanitary,
And I apologize but "poor white trash"
Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:47 AM

781 posts, read 736,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Who cares what others think? If you like it and the hair is yours, that is all that matters!!!!!
Oh please, everyone cares what other people think. Even or most especially those who claim they don't care. It's programmed into us by nature and comes from that part of the brain we inherit from the apes. Primates (which we basically are) are tribal and hierarchical. That "social" brain is always calculating where you fit, etc. in the social hierarchy in relation to the other "monkeys".

Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
After it's past the mid back I don't like it. I know several women in their 60's with somewhat long hair and it looks good on them, and no they don't think they look younger. They just like longer hair.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
What I THINK is "Gurl if only you knew how much easier life is, how much quicker you can get dressed and how much COOLER you feel with short hair, you'd chop that stuff off in a quick minute."

Just like I did last year. My hair was about bra length where your short sleeve would be....and as a dog walker I never SAW IT because it has to be UP and out of my face.

First I went chin length. Fine. BTW you look YOUNGER with hair between your chin and shoulders not dragging down your face with super long hair but whatever....

Then I kept going shorter and shorter to super short.

I LOVE IT. NO tangling and nonsense, no tons of products necessary, and it is super much cooler and I live in Florida.

Yesterday in Home Depot I took a picture of a woman with a buzz type cut with "pieces" and shocking red.

I'm going THERE next. But more auburn-ish, my natural color.

The beauty is you can experiment, it grows back FAST and you can always cover it up with a visor or cap if you don't like something about it.

And if you have NATURAL hair in your 50's then YES you have dulling and loss of color. It's nature.

At least go get a glaze and brightening it up is the OTHER thing I'd be thinking.

The OTHER thing I'd be thinking is "Why is this woman so attached to this hair? What does it represent?"

You only get ONE life why live it looking EXACTLY THE SAME and doing all that work for really, NO reason.

I know you didn't ask all that but that's what I AM THINKING.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
but, personally, I think that hair at the butt rarely looks good on anyone, no matter what the gender or age.
I agree. JMO, but overly long hair is not really that attractive. I do love the look of long pretty hair, but I think anywhere from shoulder length to mid-back is the sweet spot.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:21 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Oh please, everyone cares what other people think. Even or most especially those who claim they don't care. It's programmed into us by nature and comes from that part of the brain we inherit from the apes. Primates (which we basically are) are tribal and hierarchical. That "social" brain is always calculating where you fit, etc. in the social hierarchy in relation to the other "monkeys".
Nope, do not care what you or anyone else thinks about my hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
After it's past the mid back I don't like it. I know several women in their 60's with somewhat long hair and it looks good on them, and no they don't think they look younger. They just like longer hair.
Yes, I just like longer hair. Mine goes down to about the bottom of my shoulder blades.

I do NOT spend a lot of time on it, nor a lot of products.

I wash and condition every other day. I comb it out and go. I never dry, straighten, curl, etc.

It takes me all of 5 seconds to pull it back into a pony, and about 3 minutes to French braid it.

I get the ends trimmed about every 3 months or so.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:28 AM

465 posts, read 613,412 times
I've always felt (IMO) that at a certain age depending on how a woman ages that eventually it is more attractive to transition to a shorter hairstyle. I think at some point longer hair on an older woman ages the face even more. Shorter hair brings out cheekbones and eyes of an older woman. Making her look more attractive. I don't have an age as to when that is because some 40 year olds look 30 and some 30 year olds look 40. I am 42 and my hair is almost mid back but my younger friends in their late twenties and early thirties usually are shocked by my age. I think when I'm 50 I will go to more of a shoulder length. There is a woman at my gym who is in beautiful shape but has hair down to her butt, white blonde obviously not natural and I feel like she would look younger if she shortened her hair and darkened it a bit. Her hair would look fuller and not thin and brittle like it does now. I think the length and the color age her face drastically. I am guessing on her age but she looks to be in her 60's.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:31 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't.

Me personally, if my hair has grown out, I plan to keep it long until I am dead. I simply prefer long hair on myself. I don't think I have the face, nor head for short hair to actually look good. I like to keep my face framed, and one I covered with hair.

Good for you!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:47 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Nope, do not care what you or anyone else thinks about my hair!

Yes, I just like longer hair. Mine goes down to about the bottom of my shoulder blades.

I do NOT spend a lot of time on it, nor a lot of products.

I wash and condition every other day. I comb it out and go. I never dry, straighten, curl, etc.

It takes me all of 5 seconds to pull it back into a pony, and about 3 minutes to French braid it.

I get the ends trimmed about every 3 months or so.
There is long hair and there is the hair to the butt long hair, which OP Stated. I agree with you,
I personally always liked my hair long, works for me and I have great hair
(old hippies die hard)

Old 04-26-2015, 10:05 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Agreed! And I think once it gets that long, there are usually psychological reasons that they are unwilling to part with it (i.e. the hair has become a "security blanket")

I must admit that I LOVE watching those makeovers where these women chop off all that hair. It's like watching a rebirth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty