U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:39 AM

262 posts, read 190,387 times

Advertisements

Dear starter of this thread,

I've heard that there are consignment shops in towns where very wealthy people live. The most expensive clothing made of the best quality might be found there ~ clothing either worn once or never worn at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 09:38 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,362,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Warning - this is a rant from an angry over 60 gal. If you cringe when you hear "back in the day they used to . . .", you might wish to move on to the next thread - lol!

Where are the fabrics they used to make clothes out of? I mean the fabrics that weren't tissue thin, shapeless, light as air, crap! I've been changing my wardrobe lately (gee, thanks Pinterest!) and have been shopping for sweaters, t-shirts, top, jackets. Everything I seem to find, from Targets to Macys, is made of fabric I could poke a finger right through, that looks like it would snag on a cross look, that could attract static and lint in a nano-second, and that just hangs limp on the hanger. I realize that fabrics changed when layering became the fashion key (& also when the economy tanked), but the quality has suffered tremendously.

I've got my lumps and bumps like many women and these limp clothes don't help. I've been looking for what we used to call medium-weight pull-over sweaters to wear with slim jeans and boots. I've looked in every store in town and am finding the same - anemic knits with no weight, shape, or resilience. Lots of acrylic blends & boxy bodies with narrow sleeves seem to be the norm. I've watched 2 labels that I used to buy degrade so badly that I no longer even look at them. I got cheeky/desperate the other day and even checked out the men's dept. Seems they are starting to suffer the issues there, too.

Is there quality still out there & where are you finding it? If I was 20-something I would search out vintage - but that never works well on 60-something. I could knit & sew my own - no, not really lol!

Suggestions - or should I drag out the knitting needles?
You should drag out the knitting needles.

What you describe has been the order of the day since at least the early 00s. I doubt it is ever going to change. Especially for summer wear. I think it is because people love to layer year round and the lighter fabrics are more desirable for that reason. Manufacturing processes have changed as well, so cottons are a lot lighter than they used to be.

But if you want those heavier fabrics the discount stores carry a big supply since most people aren't interested in them as much, particularly wools. Most stuff sold at thrift stores or consignment shops is still of the heavier variety.

And yes, the men's department is a lot worse. I actually enjoy the lightweight denims though. But it isn't as bad as it used to be in the early 00s, when men were consumed with the whole metrosexual look.

JCP is the most notorious for this.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:32 AM

83 posts, read 65,533 times
There are still quality clothes available. I used to do shopping from online shops and prefer Columbia clothing which is of good quality.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:48 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,362,081 times
Thinner clothing is one of the reasons you see people in long sleeves and pants in the summer. Plus it keeps the sunburn away.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM

27 posts, read 21,514 times
I've been out shopping for clothes this week for a new job uptown and have not had much luck. Flimsy poliester tops and pants with cuts that do not flatter me. I'm fairly slim and pride myself in being stylish. I can do that with my casual wear, but not sure what to do for professional wear. I see lots of frumpy and matronly. I see legions of stylish women wandering around seeking and not finding... Designers, hear us roar!

Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,784,057 times
One reason cottons are thinner is the cost of manufacturing. Making cotton is a huge pollution/high water consumption proposition. To keep costs lower, fat cat manufacturers set up shop in Bangladesh, Jordan, and other 3rd world places where wages are microscopic. Thus, tiny holes appear after just a few gentle washings (and we never use the dryer on regular clothes in our house!)

Take a look at this dress. Now the style may not be anything you're interested in. But I own this dress and it wears like IRON. It's very well-made, drapes beautifully, and I consider $50 ultra-inexpensive for the handsome quality. Good garments can be found.

Another excellent option is Etsy. Clothing made in the USA by craftspeople who know how to sew properly and need your money (Big label manufacturers sure as hell don't!)

And as someone upthread rightly put it: Dress like a European; i.e., fewer clothes and better clothes. Nobody needs a stuffed wall-to-wall closet (Nobody needs a wall-to-wall closet, for that matter.)

Also: One in, one out. Love that pretty, cotton lined skirt you saw on Etsy? Buy it! But now get rid of a lesser-quality skirt you already own and don't wear. Steady-state theory!

Old 08-20-2015, 04:17 AM

1,408 posts, read 1,156,712 times
To OP slightly off topic but quality thicknesss weight of sewing fabrics, quilting cottons and bed linens have also become thin compared to what was sold in the 50's 60's 70's. The last quilting cotton I bought from a good shop is papertissue thin. So it is not only in fashion.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:04 PM

343 posts, read 312,713 times
Even high end brands like MaxMara, StJohn and Ralph Lauren skip on quality but charge thousands. I went look at their coats recently. Ughhh..I would expect some linings at least in their coats for $2,501-$5,000. But no, no linings to be found there anywhere. When did it start? They just decided do not put linings because they think no one cares anymore? Well, there are still people who look inside the garment...

Old 08-25-2015, 06:43 AM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
OK, snooty, I know what you mean. I am your age and I have encountered the same thing. One of my favorite places to get clothing is J Jill, but their knit tops are very thin. I actually had to return one that I stuck my finger through the first time I put it on. Before Coldwater Creek went out of business, I noticed a lot of their expensive tops were made in India out of very flimsy thin material.
Anyway, I tend to have good luck finding things at Marshall's and TJ Maxx, and also Land's End, Eddie Bauer, and LL Bean. The last 3 tend to have classic basic clothing and the quality is still there.
I don't know what your style is, but I like to be comfortable and stylish, but not trendy.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:30 PM

2,950 posts, read 3,190,447 times
Thrift stores because thanks to NAFTA the clothing has really gone down hill in the past 10 years.
I've got 15-25 year old stuff and it still holds up. Anything bought in the past few years is worn thin and frazzeled after very light wash and wear.
Plus have you noticed that the material has a strong chemical smell? Just awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty