U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 PM

367 posts, read 217,576 times

Advertisements

I just checked a couple of my favorite websites to see if high quality was still there. It's not.

Wintersilks.com and Damon&Drapers.com were among my favorites. It seems Blair (low quality clothes) has taken them over. Lots of synthetics.

I was just going to order some silk turtlenecks and socks from Wintersilks this weekend. Oh well. Guess I missed out.

Tilley's Endurables is still good. I especially love the pima cotton clothes.
Classics - Women

I make some of my clothes. They are the best ones. Thai Silks - Imported Silk Fabric - Prints - Scarves - Gifts - Lingerie has some lovely fabrics. I'm planning a trip to San Francisco and will shop at Britex fabric store.

Just be certain to get extra yardage and wash on hot and dry in machine before sewing to pre-shrink. After sewing, I wash in the machine inside mesh bags on gentle and dry on low just until damp. Then I hang and air dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 11:13 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,554,226 times
I own two blouses that belonged to my mother in the 1940's - a white one with a thin eye-let cotton, and a black one made from some material that I've never been able to identify. They are both SO gorgeous! I can't wear them right now because I've gained enough weight to not fit in them.

But hopefully I'll fit in them again. I do not think I could find anything that could last this long.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:16 PM

343 posts, read 314,573 times
Profnot I am making most of my clothes too. Britex is such fun. I was there a few weeks ago. Good there is no similar store where I live, because I would spend all my time there and money. Last time I got some woven cotton for a dress and buttons and of course buttons were 3 times more expensive than fabric lol. Now I dot a new Pfaff and sewing is a breeze. I shop in Thai silks too, on-line

Old 10-28-2015, 07:10 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,714,782 times
As a guy, I have had very good luck buying from Bonobos the last few years. Decent price-point for their quality.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:55 AM

13,176 posts, read 17,726,097 times
yep thrift store is where it is at . I usually buy several things there when I go there and it usually gets me through a season or two before I have to buy again ....

Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,714,782 times
Thrift stores and consignment shops are great for women. My better half gets all kinds of great stuff that way. Me? I'm lucky to find a half dozen things a year for a guy that are in decent shape, half decent quality, and don't need tailoring to be wearable. That's also due in part to staying in good shape and not liking the boxy cut of most men's clothing.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:46 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,960,104 times
snooty, you are preaching to the choir. Textiles in general have gone downhill since all manufacturing has gone overseas. Sheets are my big pet peeve. Really hard to get good sheets for a good price.
For decent clothes I shop lands end. And sears regular quality clothes line is better than other stores as far as quality, wearability.
ditto, hate those stupid paper thin t-shirts... I am convinced this is a plot since they know you will be forced to buy a tank top to go underneath... spending even more $$ in their stores. That and the stores that all sell the sleeveless dresses even in winter. Here in the midwest, that does not fly. They know you will be forced to buy a blazer or a sweater to go over that sleeveless garment. (I know sounds like a conspiracy theory...)

Old 11-01-2015, 08:33 PM

18,998 posts, read 12,587,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I like Lands End for knits and sweaters; I like LL Bean for some other sporty things. Both places do good sweaters (esp. LL Bean.) I love clothing found in the Orvis line, but I've never ordered anything. I used to find things at Talbots, but they aren't my style now. I also like Chico's. Too bad there isn't one near me. Chico's clothing is designed for more mature women, but I don't think all that highly of the quality vs price. However, I've gotten some good things there. And Chico's is quite stylish.

Lands End is pushing their newish line of jeans, and I intend to try out some narrow legged and some trouser jeans, as well a the denim dress and skirt. Their new fall stuff looks good to me.

Coldwater Creek is back. Coldwater Creek® | Clothing and Accessories for Women

I think when they changed direction, to younger fashions, their built up clientele abandoned them. At least that is what I think. I checked their offerings a while back and found they had totally changed. It looks like they are now catering to a more mature clientele again. I think I'll have a closer look.
I see I mentioned before that I intended to buy some jeans from Lands End. I got two pair just this week. They are good. An awful lot of cotton + spandex jeans stretch out and go baggy in the stomach and in the knees--at least for me. I bought a skinny legged pair and a bell bottom "trouser" pair. Both pass the test for fit and comfort. I intend to buy another skinny legged pair ASAP.

But these jeans aren't made as well as jeans were just 5 years ago. What I notice is that pockets are so shallow they gap. At least they aren't pulling out--I've had that problem. The denim is not as substantial as most fall weight denims usually are. But they are better than anything I could find last fall. And I need jeans big time.

I also bought an everyday jacket from Duluth Trading Co. This is the second jacket I've bought from them, and it is a keeper. I didn't want a stylish jacket; I wanted an everyday moderately warm jacket. I've had probs with Bean's outerwear; the XL is too big and the L is slightly too small. (I like Bean's quality really well in outerwear) The Duluth Grab and Go is fine quality, just warm enough and it came in great colors. Women's Fleece Lined Grab Jacket - Duluth Trading I love it when a jacket has inner pockets! And sleeves long enough to keep my arms warm.

For outerwear you can't beat the catalog retailers like Lands End, LL Bean, and Duluth Trading. Also, try Eddie Bauer, Orvis (if you can afford them) and Norm Thompson. I've also bought a few things successfully from Travelsmith.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:52 PM

34,776 posts, read 42,918,745 times
I agree with the poster above. Duluth Traders is great for men's work and casual wear. LL Bean is the flannel shirt place for our family, Orvis is expensive, but I love their men's belts. I like both Land's End and Eddie Bauer for me.
Sizing is always frustratingly inconsistent, but this is just a fact of life.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:06 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,074,662 times
It's so exciting to find this thread! I thought it was me all these years, not being able to find anything to buy anymore. I'm not the greatest shopper anyway and now I'm past retirement I don't need new clothes, consequently when some of my decades-old stuff started wearing out, I went out to replace a few things and was horrified to find I could not.

I agree with every complaint that's been logged here. I shop thrift stores also, and have been making do with what I can find there, but I will soon will be pantless because I've been trying to find some grey flannel trousers, lined, for years. Doesn't ANYONE make something like this anymore? I've almost gotten to the point that I'm willing to pay anything for them (almost!)

I'm afraid to buy pants online. I have a small waist, huge butt, and short legs and have a hard enough time anyway. Most pants are two feet longer than I am.

It's wonderful to know other people are in this same boat and I'm certainly thankful for the suggestions given here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty