U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 02:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree with the poster above. Duluth Traders is great for men's work and casual wear. LL Bean is the flannel shirt place for our family, Orvis is expensive, but I love their men's belts. I like both Land's End and Eddie Bauer for me.
Sizing is always frustratingly inconsistent, but this is just a fact of life.
So far, I can wear XL from most of the quality, middle of the road catalog retailers. LL Bean seems to want their outerwear bigger to accommodate bulky sweaters. I buy by bust size for the outerwear and for tops; I use hip size for pants.

Duluth also carries good women's "work wear." I also bought two long tail tanks to use as inner layers under tees. Very good quality. I ordered XL and they fit well. Of course, I am not actually working in this stuff, but I am wearing it day to day.

Women's Workwear, Women's Work Clothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 09:11 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,058,674 times
I would just like to be able to walk into a store and find a good pair of pants that fit. Maybe I will have to switch to all skirts. Fitting problem solved (as long as it's not pencil skirts). I don't mind buying tops, any kind of tops, online, and of course you can get skirts online and not worry about the fit.

I guess we all have to adapt in our own ways. I do not live in an area where these upscale shops are local so maybe that is why I've been having so much trouble. Certainly can't depend on Macy's anymore.

I think the thought of one poster (sorry I can't remember who you are) who said she just bought very few things - and very good things - was a good idea. Normally I would avoid somewhere like Nordstroms, but if you only shop for a very few things then Nordstroms would be value for money.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I would just like to be able to walk into a store and find a good pair of pants that fit. Maybe I will have to switch to all skirts. Fitting problem solved (as long as it's not pencil skirts). I don't mind buying tops, any kind of tops, online, and of course you can get skirts online and not worry about the fit.
So would I. But it is impossible now. You could buy the thing that fits the best around your hips, and then have it altered. I wouldn't do that unless it was a quality garment though.

I have almost quit buying anything except jeans and knit pants because of fit issues. I agree it is frustrating.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:31 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,058,674 times
So have I. Guess I will just stick with my skirts until and unless I happen to be in a really nice store and find a really nice pair of pants.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,354,490 times
Default Cheap frabics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Warning - this is a rant from an angry over 60 gal. If you cringe when you hear "back in the day they used to . . .", you might wish to move on to the next thread - lol!

Where are the fabrics they used to make clothes out of? I mean the fabrics that weren't tissue thin, shapeless, light as air, crap! I've been changing my wardrobe lately (gee, thanks Pinterest!) and have been shopping for sweaters, t-shirts, top, jackets. Everything I seem to find, from Targets to Macys, is made of fabric I could poke a finger right through, that looks like it would snag on a cross look, that could attract static and lint in a nano-second, and that just hangs limp on the hanger. I realize that fabrics changed when layering became the fashion key (& also when the economy tanked), but the quality has suffered tremendously.

I've got my lumps and bumps like many women and these limp clothes don't help. I've been looking for what we used to call medium-weight pull-over sweaters to wear with slim jeans and boots. I've looked in every store in town and am finding the same - anemic knits with no weight, shape, or resilience. Lots of acrylic blends & boxy bodies with narrow sleeves seem to be the norm. I've watched 2 labels that I used to buy degrade so badly that I no longer even look at them. I got cheeky/desperate the other day and even checked out the men's dept. Seems they are starting to suffer the issues there, too.

Is there quality still out there & where are you finding it? If I was 20-something I would search out vintage - but that never works well on 60-something. I could knit & sew my own - no, not really lol!

Suggestions - or should I drag out the knitting needles?
I must agree I totally dislike things make of cheap fabrics that rip easily. For some odd reason items made with really cheap fabrics have been trendy of the last few years. I love going to stores that are higher end and selling clothes made with fabric I would use as rags to clean with at crazy high prices. I am not gently with my stuff so I hate getting clothes that are only good for one wear. I am much more selective with the type of fabrics I buy because I hate wearing clothes that look faded. I now avoid certain fabrics all together now because they do not wash well, fade easy and do not hold their shape after washing. Some things look better on racks then people. If you actually have contours and are not shaped like a 12 year old boy these fabrics will make you look frumpy and not be flattering. I prefer clothes with a bit of elasticity to the fabric. The fit the contours of the body better and are much more flattering to the figure of someone that has a figure closer to an 8 then a 1. I think it is a bad idea for people just to wear trends because they are trendy if they do not suit their figure. Better to look good wearing some things that is complementary to your figure then buy something because it looks pretty of the rack.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:14 PM

275 posts, read 16,711 times
Cheap and flimsy fabrics has been my complaint for years now. I have no problem looking for jeans that fits me. I am petite, size 4-8 depending on the brand. Finding quality tops is my problem. I resorted to thrift stores and consignments. Happy about what I found there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty