U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,796,460 times

Advertisements

OP, occasionally Land's End has reasonable weight stuff, but their quality can be very poor, so make sure you wash an item several times before buying more than one of any style.

Eddie Bauer is as far as I can tell the only place still making normal weight (not see through) t shirts. For nicer clothes Banana Republic is worth a try. LL Bean also has quite a range of jackets and things which might appeal to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 AM

23,906 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Anyone heard of Equipment Silk? I saw them mentioned in a different site in a thread about cheap fabrics. I just looked at them and they have some really nice-looking stuff. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with their fabrics/clothing.

Silk Blouses & Shirts for Women | EQUIPMENT® Shirts

Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,535,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
I never shop Kohls - I see waaay too much of it on the street & I don't like the quality.
I'm scratching my head at this one ... how do you know when you see Kohl's merchandise worn on the street? Do you ask every person you pass where they buy their clothes? Do they still have the tags on?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed. I rarely, if EVER, find anything at Macy's anymore. So so disappointing. Crap clothes, and crap styles. Yeah once in a while I'll find something nice, but it's so hard to find anything I just don't even shop for clothes there anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Where?? Definitely not made in China.
The fashion industry knows it audience and demographic priorities don't include older women. I would
agree that Neiman Marcus gives us more options but I'm not in a financial position to buy a pair of
pants or flats are their price.
Here's a commentary by John Oliver (humorous) about fashion today (warning some 4 letter words).
"Buying clothes is cheaper and easier than ever." "Half of our clothing was manufactured in the US
up until 1990 and now only 2% of it is."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdLf4fihP78

Old 04-28-2015, 09:23 AM

300 posts, read 606,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm scratching my head at this one ... how do you know when you see Kohl's merchandise worn on the street? Do you ask every person you pass where they buy their clothes? Do they still have the tags on?

Good question! You caught me at over generalization a bit, but when I was in real estate I would see the same tops, dresses, & patterns that only Kohl's sold. Many of the agents loved Kohl's, too.

Speaking of "Do they still have the tags on?" I was the one who was guilty of that last week - wore a new jacket and forgot about the small tag on the sleeve! Never said anywhere in any of my posts that I have class LOL!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 AM

300 posts, read 606,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
OP, occasionally Land's End has reasonable weight stuff, but their quality can be very poor, so make sure you wash an item several times before buying more than one of any style.

Eddie Bauer is as far as I can tell the only place still making normal weight (not see through) t shirts. For nicer clothes Banana Republic is worth a try. LL Bean also has quite a range of jackets and things which might appeal to you.

I've had an interesting experience with Lands End T-shirts. Used to buy them by the sack full, as they wore well and never, ever, shrunk. Not true anymore. Last couple I bought shrunk several inches in length (& I never wash in hot or dry hot) - I took them back.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:33 AM

5,170 posts, read 2,994,994 times
Adding my voice to the OP's. What happened? And how did it happen so quickly? It seemed to occur nearly overnight.

Cheap, garish colors and unpleasant patterns. Thin material that doesn't stand the test of time and laundering. No seams or hems to open up or let down. Poorly constructed garments.

I can no longer see a difference in quality from high end stores to economy clothing.

And the clothing that is in style is too tight, too short. Can't help but think those uncomplimentary styles are being foisted on us as a money-saving device for the manufacturers.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:07 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,810,094 times
Ralph Lauren Clothing Sale | Men's, Women's & Children's Sale

JM2c

Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times
Well, as bailyvpotter posted, up until 1990 half the clothing was made in the U.S., now only 2% is. So, I suppose a vintage store with clothing prior to 1990 might provide at least something well made.

We have folks wandering in through our quilting group now and then looking for folks to sew things for them. Sometimes it's clothing, sometimes it's alteration or mending, sometimes it's household sewing. There is a group in town that teaches folks to sew. It's a free after school program run by volunteers, many of whom are from the quilting group.

As manufacturers have weaned folks away from the ability - or even mindset - of producing their own anything, they are now able to produce crap and folks who don't think they can provide their own are reduced to having to accept it. There's a big upsurge of "makers" now, which seems to be the new word for artisans and crafters.

For all knitted things, I've gotten to the level of "bespoke". Even the yarn itself is constructed the way I want it for whatever project is in mind. Specific fiber content, spun to a particular size and ply. Personally, I'm always amazed when folks accept the label "100% wool" like it means anything. Unless they list the specific breed of sheep the wool was from that designation isn't gonna tell you much, but that's a digression. If you wanted something knit, there's probably someone on Ravelry or another online craft site who could make it for you. Although fitting it long distance might be problematical.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:29 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
It's intentional. The clothes are crappy to make us buy more when they, inevitably, fall apart. I'm a professional woman, who finds that even the stores that include me within their target demographic, sell mostly crap that within a few months of purchase will stretch, fade, tear, pill, or shrink. Instead of buying those synthetic blend slacks at Ann Taylor for $79, I'll pay $250-300 for a 100% wool pant that, with proper care, will be a wardrobe staple for at least five years. I buy essentials that are stylish and well-made, but not identifiable with any particular fashion trend, and wear them year after year. I will shop trends in casual summer apparel, handbags, and jeans, but my work wardrobe consists of timeless pieces that I might have bought yesterday, or a dozen years ago. The last time I purged my closet, I got rid of clothes that I had owned for as long as a decade that were still in great condition, and that I parted with only because they no longer fit. I know that a lot of women think that they can't afford to buy at that price point, but, over time, it's more economical than buying lots of cheap clothes that either won't last, or won't look good six months from now.

That being said, I can still appreciate a $9 Target t-shirt (but, I don't expect it to last more than one summer.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty