U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:30 PM

5,574 posts, read 4,439,087 times

Advertisements

Several of y'all mentioned prices. I remember paying 20 dollars for shirts back in the 1970s - almost 40 years ago, so honestly - I don't expect to still pay 20 dollars for a decent top.

I'm retired and I don't go to church, so I just need casual day to day clothes and not a lot. I keep a couple of outfits for times I do have to attend a funeral, wedding or other occasion that requires more jeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:57 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
980 posts, read 867,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Good question! You caught me at over generalization a bit, but when I was in real estate I would see the same tops, dresses, & patterns that only Kohl's sold. Many of the agents loved Kohl's, too.

Speaking of "Do they still have the tags on?" I was the one who was guilty of that last week - wore a new jacket and forgot about the small tag on the sleeve! Never said anywhere in any of my posts that I have class LOL!
Plus, I have found, that I can spot a Kim Richards or Sag Harbour top or dress on a thrift store or JrLeague rack at 30yds...a GOOD thing for me. The quality is often better. I laugh when I am out looking through the racks and bet, with myself, is it a Sag or not?? I know, I need a life. At least I'm not on drugs.
Maybe that is the problem!
Oh! Yeah, I wish some designer, who has been through menopause, would design some pretty but EZ access bras! You know...the kind you can make 'folding' breast look pert & perky again! Make them clasp-in-front while at it! Thank God, I kept many of those for 25 yrs and am just wearing them now! I have a torn rotator cuff that cannot be repaired and it is he77 to get my arms behind me! I refuse, for now, to clasp it in front and turn it around, as I have seen a bazillion senior ladies in the ERs do that and I swore I would never get 'that old'! (Part of the reason I bought extra pretty front closure ones and stashed them).
The fashion industry...PFFFFT!! They have been losing money for eons NOT catering to the right women! Finally, many are getting hip and changing, but it probably won't happen in my lifetime, that senior boomers get to reap the rewards!

Old 04-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Adding my voice to the OP's. What happened? And how did it happen so quickly? It seemed to occur nearly overnight.

Cheap, garish colors and unpleasant patterns. Thin material that doesn't stand the test of time and laundering. No seams or hems to open up or let down. Poorly constructed garments.

I can no longer see a difference in quality from high end stores to economy clothing.

And the clothing that is in style is too tight, too short. Can't help but think those uncomplimentary styles are being foisted on us as a money-saving device for the manufacturers.
LOOK at the 'made in" tags! It is all outsourced to other countries! AND we buy it! The only thing that speaks to manufacturers is the DOLLAR BILL! If we don't buy it, it will change! Try and find clothing made in the USA! It is very difficult to do today!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:40 PM

300 posts, read 610,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Plus, I have found, that I can spot a Kim Richards or Sag Harbour top or dress on a thrift store or JrLeague rack at 30yds...a GOOD thing for me. The quality is often better. I laugh when I am out looking through the racks and bet, with myself, is it a Sag or not?? I know, I need a life. At least I'm not on drugs.
Maybe that is the problem!
Oh! Yeah, I wish some designer, who has been through menopause, would design some pretty but EZ access bras! You know...the kind you can make 'folding' breast look pert & perky again! Make them clasp-in-front while at it! Thank God, I kept many of those for 25 yrs and am just wearing them now! I have a torn rotator cuff that cannot be repaired and it is he77 to get my arms behind me! I refuse, for now, to clasp it in front and turn it around, as I have seen a bazillion senior ladies in the ERs do that and I swore I would never get 'that old'! (Part of the reason I bought extra pretty front closure ones and stashed them).
The fashion industry...PFFFFT!! They have been losing money for eons NOT catering to the right women! Finally, many are getting hip and changing, but it probably won't happen in my lifetime, that senior boomers get to reap the rewards!

Just HAD to rep you for this - it really made me smile maniacally while vigorously nodding my head YES!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Several of y'all mentioned prices. I remember paying 20 dollars for shirts back in the 1970s - almost 40 years ago, so honestly - I don't expect to still pay 20 dollars for a decent top.

I'm retired and I don't go to church, so I just need casual day to day clothes and not a lot. I keep a couple of outfits for times I do have to attend a funeral, wedding or other occasion that requires more jeans.
Yup - and it's hard to pay $49.50 for a cheaply made acrylic top when, if you just wait for the sale & have a coupon, you can get it for $16.99!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 PM

17,725 posts, read 21,905,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I liked Coldwater Creek. They're out of business now. I did get 100% wool sweaters online from Ireland and both the men's and women's are beautiful.

I've also started sewing some simple summer dresses using patterns from the 60's I found on ebay. Dresses in the stores and online are all too short, too clingy, or too formal. The old shift style dresses disguise imperfections and look quite nice made up with the right high quality fabric. The shirtwaist style can work too, as long as the buttons are close enough together.

A lot of the fabric shrinks more now, so if it is washable fabric it should be prewashed.

I liked CWC also. Not everything. It had it's share of Grandma clothes - but there was a lot of good too.

Anyone think that any new stores will emerge that will cater to stylish boomers who want to avoid looking like their mothers in law?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 PM

19,065 posts, read 12,636,950 times
Macy's and Target are awful. You won't find good quality or classic designs there.

For more substantial tees, try the classic Lands End or LL Bean tees. They are good quality. The LE tees hold their shape well if you launder them gently. And they aren't paper thin. The more fashion conscious designs might be thinner.

For sweaters, I recommend LL Bean. I've bought three this spring, and they are very good quality.

Just for the record I am well past age 60.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:52 AM

I'm going to check out LL Bean sweaters! Several of you have recommended them - so off I go . . .

Thanks!!

Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 AM

6,328 posts, read 10,531,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Warning - this is a rant from an angry over 60 gal. If you cringe when you hear "back in the day they used to . . .", you might wish to move on to the next thread - lol!

Where are the fabrics they used to make clothes out of? I mean the fabrics that weren't tissue thin, shapeless, light as air, crap! I've been changing my wardrobe lately (gee, thanks Pinterest!) and have been shopping for sweaters, t-shirts, top, jackets. Everything I seem to find, from Targets to Macys, is made of fabric I could poke a finger right through, that looks like it would snag on a cross look, that could attract static and lint in a nano-second, and that just hangs limp on the hanger. I realize that fabrics changed when layering became the fashion key (& also when the economy tanked), but the quality has suffered tremendously.

I've got my lumps and bumps like many women and these limp clothes don't help. I've been looking for what we used to call medium-weight pull-over sweaters to wear with slim jeans and boots. I've looked in every store in town and am finding the same - anemic knits with no weight, shape, or resilience. Lots of acrylic blends & boxy bodies with narrow sleeves seem to be the norm. I've watched 2 labels that I used to buy degrade so badly that I no longer even look at them. I got cheeky/desperate the other day and even checked out the men's dept. Seems they are starting to suffer the issues there, too.

Is there quality still out there & where are you finding it? If I was 20-something I would search out vintage - but that never works well on 60-something. I could knit & sew my own - no, not really lol!

Suggestions - or should I drag out the knitting needles?
Agree 100%. JC Penneys and Sears used to carry good quality classic clothing. Sadly, the demographic the stores are marketing to today is the teenage girl who buys throw away fashion.

One thing lately I've had a hard time finding is a decent cotton summer dress that is a medium length. I can't fathom why a dress for hot humid weather should be made out of polyester and drag on the floor. I guess I will have to hit the sewing machine.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Agree 100%. JC Penneys and Sears used to carry good quality classic clothing. Sadly, the demographic the stores are marketing to today is the teenage girl who buys throw away fashion.

One thing lately I've had a hard time finding is a decent cotton summer dress that is a medium length. I can't fathom why a dress for hot humid weather should be made out of polyester and drag on the floor. I guess I will have to hit the sewing machine.
I think Sears went to HE77 when they merged with KMart! WHAT were they thinking??? I do know that Mr.Sears & Roebuck must be doing continuous 'grave turns' seeing the sloooow demise of their life's work! I went to one of their stores not long ago and it was all "computerized". Now, I had ordered a 2-pair of Darth Vader boys toddler PJs two hours prior to driving to pick them up...hoping that it would expedite my shopping experience. First, the computer bay refused my ticket number and name, so after 10 minutes of my REpunching in the keys (like I do on those robot calls to Social Security or Medicare trying to speak to a REAL person), a man appeared from the 'pick up' area. The computer refused HIM access, too, so he disappeared to look for the PJs himself, in person and in real time. He returned in 5 minutes, telling me they had not arrived from the Kids Dept yet. They would/could only do so IF I went and paid for them in the TOOL DEPT (closest one to the 'pick up bay'). So, I wandered over there and stood in line behind a man trying to pay for his wooden pool ball rack with a debit card....the computer was 'down' in the tool dept now. The employee was certainly nice enough and thanked us 10+ times while he helped another couple track down some odd tool they had come to look for.
I am NOT knocking the store, only the 'procedures' in place for ordering online to pick-up. I have done this tens of times in the distant past (key word=distant) when you used to drive to the Sears back doors, walk in to the Catalogs Dept and pay for the items that had come in in my name. Now that I think about it, my last time was in 1991, when I was pregnant with my first (and only) child, to buy a linen jumper to get me through my pregnancy at work. Dang! How time flies! WHERE does it go so quickly?? I'm guessing, without Googling, that this is about the time they merged with KMart, and I stopped shopping there.
Back to the original post about my online purchase of PJs. I finally paid CASH for the PJs and had an official Sears receipt in my hand! I went back to the pick up bay, and the only way to get a REAL person's attention was to 'abuse' the computer kiosk again, til it sent a message to the same man who came out the first time, now 45 minutes ago. Next, he had to go TO the Boys Dept and fetch the PJs...WHAAAT??? I could have gone TO the department 30 minutes ago and just paid for those PJs myself! I'd be in my truck on my way home now! Luckily, I am fairly nice and wasn't in a hurry to be anywhere else. I let the man go and fetch the PJs and just chalked it up to a new shopping experience, and one I will NOT be repeating in the rest of my lifetime! I must say, that it made me kind of sad, as it brought back such great memories of my early childhood of each and every time my Grandma Sammie taking us to Sears in Coral Gables, FL we stopped by the candy counter (located at the exit/entrance of the doors) and got white chocolate candy. No such 'animal' at any Sears now. I didn't look but I didn't smell that white chocolate smell that used to waft throughout the Sears, luring us, back then.
Yes! I can see both Sears & Roebuck rocking and rolling at what has become of the 'new' computerized store!
I have had your same type experience and questions with finding 100% cotton sheet sets. Not 'microfiber', which most store employees think are cotton, but plain old-fashioned cotton. I sure cannot find them in the big box super centers, but recently I have found them at Target under 'organic' 100% cotton, to the tune of $50. a set. WHEN did cotton become so expensive? I did buy them, but ONLY because I thought I was being smart last Fall when I gave my old, geometric design, cotton sheets to Goodwill sort of pre-planning to buy new ones in the Spring (yes! I have to trick myself to buy new things these days because they might not get enough use prior to my demise). I change to flannel sheets in the Fall once it gets cold at night.
Also, when did 'they' decide that it's a good idea to make sheets 'one size fits all' in each sheet size, meaning they just run elastic around the whole sheet now and it fits a mattress from 9" to 18" deep? I mean, REALLY??? I like my sheets tight on the mattress! I don't look forward to making the bed each night before I go to sleep in it (especially as crippled as I am now). Sort of like the polyester maxie dress vs cotton dress an inch or so below the knees. What is the World coming to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty