U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:58 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
I might be able to cough up $120 for a pair of jeans but the problem is, whatever style they are (skinny, boot cut, straight leg, high waisted, low waisted, boy cut or whatever the next latest and greatest style is), they are simply not going to last more than a year in the fashion sense. The styles are changing too drastically anymore. The idea of classic fashions is just not out there anymore. People say they want to buy classics, yadda yadda yadda, but let's face it, the classics look tired and OLD and frumpy these days. Classic chino pants are OUT. Classic button down shirts are OUT. Classic blazers? OUT. That "classic" blazer you spent $200 on? It's sitting in the closet. You can say that you don't care ...

But I really DON'T care.

Classics never look frumpy. As far as fashion designers abusing women, well, that's the key. Stop caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:02 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,938,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
But I really DON'T care.

Classics never look frumpy. As far as fashion designers abusing women, well, that's the key. Stop caring.
I kind of feel the same way. Look at the Chanel suit. It's rarely been out of style. Now I notice the Armani black pantsuit is becoming a classic too.

People need to stop following fashion and start wearing what looks good on them.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Two years ago, neon brights were all the rage. Last spring/summer, colors were still vibrant, but toned down from the previous year. This season, neutrals and muted pastels are in. It all comes back around.
I can't imagine a classic neon colored suit. That would be a kind of "one season" thing if you bought one.

When I was working in an upscale office, I used to buy several suits every year, trying to build a wardrobe. Among my favorites (because you can't buy these colors every year) were a dark purple one, a dark green one, and a black wool one with threads of rose and blue in the fabric. The black wool one would have looked good with a neon pink blouse.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:19 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
There is no way on Earth I would ever purchase a suit that's good for one season.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:56 PM

2,787 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I kind of feel the same way. Look at the Chanel suit. It's rarely been out of style. Now I notice the Armani black pantsuit is becoming a classic too.

People need to stop following fashion and start wearing what looks good on them.
The problem is finding what you know looks good on you.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:50 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,547,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I can't imagine a classic neon colored suit. That would be a kind of "one season" thing if you bought one.

When I was working in an upscale office, I used to buy several suits every year, trying to build a wardrobe. Among my favorites (because you can't buy these colors every year) were a dark purple one, a dark green one, and a black wool one with threads of rose and blue in the fabric. The black wool one would have looked good with a neon pink blouse.
I was speaking about color trends, generally, not about suits in particular. Suits tend to come in the standard colors year after year because of who buys them and why. I think the most outrageously colored suit I own is black with teal pinstripes that I pair with a teal silk shell. Pretty tame stuff.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There is no way on Earth I would ever purchase a suit that's good for one season.
Yeah. Most of the quality ones are so expensive you really have to consider them investments. Of course, when they are good quality, they are made to be worn for years.

Those "one season" suits I guess would fall under the "fast fashion" label -- unlined skirts, etc.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:40 PM

4,445 posts, read 5,168,213 times
My grandmother was a professional seamstress at Bobby Brooks. Yikes that woman could sew! I'm sure she would have a fit if she saw the lack of quility in the sotres today. Don't even get me started on that chinese crap...

I noticed a new PBS program on called Fit2Stitch which I had to watch as Peggy reminded me of Grandma's trade. She almost has me tempted to try sewing a few simple things for myself as meno was not nice to me and clothes are a problem. I would be interested to try her sponsor's fabric which is listed on her site....

Fit 2 Stitch on PBS

Old 05-28-2015, 04:06 PM

72,663 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
I might be able to cough up $120 for a pair of jeans but the problem is, whatever style they are (skinny, boot cut, straight leg, high waisted, low waisted, boy cut or whatever the next latest and greatest style is), they are simply not going to last more than a year in the fashion sense. The styles are changing too drastically anymore.
You don't have to give in to that. Wear what flatters you. I'm still wearing boot-cut jeans since the last time they were in, and lo and behold, some designers are doing them again. In the meantime, in-between the passing fads, they look great on me. Think about it: how many people are going around, stuffing themselves into skinny jeans just because they're in, people who have no business wearing skinny jeans? If you know what looks best on you, and wear that, you'll always look great, and people will notice that you look great, not that you're not wearing the fad-du-jour.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:09 PM

72,663 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I use to buy alot of Adrienne Vittadini but hardly ever see it around anymore. I do like Jones of New York at Macy's but agree about Character Club the quality isn't there. If I can find Donna Karen at a consignment store I'll buy it, her line is good quality and will last.

At Kohl's I like Dana Buchman, Vera Wang - nice styles and good quality without being a fortune. I really like Lauren Conrad's clothing line beautiful fabrics and quality but the styles are for the 20 something crowd.
YES! Adrienne Vittadini was fabulous! She went out of business, and a few years later, regrouped, and was doing only accessories for awhile. Maybe now she's built back up to apparel, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty