Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:31 PM

37,472 posts, read 45,701,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Macy's is our "fancy store" where I live & I completely agree with you. They have been my biggest disappointment. They have oriented their market to the younger buyer, and their "middle-age" selection gets less and less floor space as the seasons progress. Plus, some of their lines like JM, Alfani, Charter Club, and Hilfinger are using cheaper fabrics. Last year they pulled the petite section completely and filled the space with more Style & Co - and, yup, tons of skinny jeans!
Agreed. I rarely, if EVER, find anything at Macy's anymore. So so disappointing. Crap clothes, and crap styles. Yeah once in a while I'll find something nice, but it's so hard to find anything I just don't even shop for clothes there anymore.

I was at a Belks in Raleigh a few weeks ago, and it blew me away. They had great stuff, beautiful pieces that I would never see here. And the lingerie dept was fantastic, as were the shoes. Not every Belk's is like this - we have one down in OBX that is just junk, but man this one in Raleigh....well, I will be going back the next time I am there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 AM

23,897 posts, read 32,207,052 times
Quote:
Warning - this is a rant from an angry over 60 gal. If you cringe when you hear "back in the day they used to . . .", you might wish to move on to the next thread - lol!

Where are the fabrics they used to make clothes out of? I mean the fabrics that weren't tissue thin, shapeless, light as air, crap! I've been changing my wardrobe lately (gee, thanks Pinterest!) and have been shopping for sweaters, t-shirts, top, jackets. Everything I seem to find, from Targets to Macys, is made of fabric I could poke a finger right through, that looks like it would snag on a cross look, that could attract static and lint in a nano-second, and that just hangs limp on the hanger. I realize that fabrics changed when layering became the fashion key (& also when the economy tanked), but the quality has suffered tremendously.

I've got my lumps and bumps like many women and these limp clothes don't help. I've been looking for what we used to call medium-weight pull-over sweaters to wear with slim jeans and boots. I've looked in every store in town and am finding the same - anemic knits with no weight, shape, or resilience. Lots of acrylic blends & boxy bodies with narrow sleeves seem to be the norm. I've watched 2 labels that I used to buy degrade so badly that I no longer even look at them. I got cheeky/desperate the other day and even checked out the men's dept. Seems they are starting to suffer the issues there, too.

Is there quality still out there & where are you finding it? If I was 20-something I would search out vintage - but that never works well on 60-something. I could knit & sew my own - no, not really lol!

Suggestions - or should I drag out the knitting needles?

The clothes at Target and even Macy's are with few exceptions, not what they once were. And, if you are looking for clothes with more structure, you can find some at a store like Macy's - but you have to look.

Try stores such as J.Crew, LL Bean, or Talbots J.Jill and the GAP stores.. I like Ann Taylor Loft. You might like Ann Taylor which is more structured.

Dillard's sells NYDJ - "Not My Daughter's Jeans" which are cut for a more mature figure and I have friends who swear that they take 10 lbs off.

Another store that attracts a decidedly over 50 demographic is Chico's. Not for me, to dramatic and flowy, but some women love them. Cache has some nice things but they are at times a little flashy.

Bathing suit that looks good on ALL WOMEN? The classic 1940s - 50s Esther Williams bathing suit!

Very popular with 20 somethings - and everyone else. Sold on Mod.Cloth.com on on the official Esther Williams Swim Suit site.

Happy shopping!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:56 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,392,368 times
Quote:
Warning - this is a rant from an angry over 60 gal. If you cringe when you hear "back in the day they used to . . .", you might wish to move on to the next thread - lol!

Where are the fabrics they used to make clothes out of? I mean the fabrics that weren't tissue thin, shapeless, light as air, crap! I've been changing my wardrobe lately (gee, thanks Pinterest!) and have been shopping for sweaters, t-shirts, top, jackets. Everything I seem to find, from Targets to Macys, is made of fabric I could poke a finger right through, that looks like it would snag on a cross look, that could attract static and lint in a nano-second, and that just hangs limp on the hanger. I realize that fabrics changed when layering became the fashion key (& also when the economy tanked), but the quality has suffered tremendously.

I've got my lumps and bumps like many women and these limp clothes don't help. I've been looking for what we used to call medium-weight pull-over sweaters to wear with slim jeans and boots. I've looked in every store in town and am finding the same - anemic knits with no weight, shape, or resilience. Lots of acrylic blends & boxy bodies with narrow sleeves seem to be the norm. I've watched 2 labels that I used to buy degrade so badly that I no longer even look at them. I got cheeky/desperate the other day and even checked out the men's dept. Seems they are starting to suffer the issues there, too.

Is there quality still out there & where are you finding it? If I was 20-something I would search out vintage - but that never works well on 60-something. I could knit & sew my own - no, not really lol!

Where?? Definitely not made in China.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 AM

208 posts, read 256,543 times
I agree that Macy's has crappy stuff. Everything is too trendy and for 20 year olds. Colored skinny pants? Tops covered with wild prints and bling? C'mon. Not doable for me (I'm almost 60). Department stores aren't supposed to operate like "specialty" stores with only limited fashions appealing to limited demographics. They are supposed to offer a wide selection, so where are the classic, regular clothes?

Personally I do not have the finances to shop at Nordstrom and NM and Ann Taylor and Talbots. All of the women who said they shop at these stores, egads, so how much money do you spend on your wardrobe? At the age of 60, I'm not willing to invest tons of money in clothes, even for quality items. There AREN'T any quality items, not anywhere.

I used to find basic classic things at LL Bean and Lands End but their styles, quality, and sizing have all deteriorated. Nothing fits me at any of these places. I order my regular size and the stuff is either too small or too big. It's ridiculous.

The only places I shop in any more are thrift stores. I find fairly quality stuff at reasonable prices. If I buy something and it doesn't work out for me, it didn't cost me a huge amount, so I just donate it.

Kohl's clothes are horrible and cheap. The styles are horrible and nothing fits. I refuse to wear clothes with cheap fake bling on them and wild prints, long dumpy tunic tops and stupid skinny pants. Who makes up these fashion rules anyway? I think there are too many cultural influences in our country which are translating into fashion cross-over but these fashions are not suitable for a person working in a conservative office environment or professional jobs. They might be fine for bar hopping and retail jobs where you don't have to look conservative and can wear skin tight leggings with a wild animal print tunic top. I can't wear junk like that at my office.

It's a shame that fashion designers are not willing to appeal to older women in their 50-60's and offer classic fashions, not too expensive. I'm willing to spend $25 on a nice top but not $40-50. Or $40 on a decent pair of pants but not $80-100. Those NYDJ jeans are just way too expensive. They are $100-120. Who in their right mind except rich women would go out and buy these.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,238,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
It's a shame that fashion designers are not willing to appeal to older women in their 50-60's and offer classic fashions, not too expensive. I'm willing to spend $25 on a nice top but not $40-50. Or $40 on a decent pair of pants but not $80-100. Those NYDJ jeans are just way too expensive.
This is exactly WHY designers aren't willing to appeal to older women. Of course they're going to focus on younger women with disposable income who are willing to pay $120+ for a pair of jeans.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,198,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
I agree that Macy's has crappy stuff. Everything is too trendy and for 20 year olds. Colored skinny pants? Tops covered with wild prints and bling? C'mon. Not doable for me (I'm almost 60). Department stores aren't supposed to operate like "specialty" stores with only limited fashions appealing to limited demographics. They are supposed to offer a wide selection, so where are the classic, regular clothes?

Personally I do not have the finances to shop at Nordstrom and NM and Ann Taylor and Talbots. All of the women who said they shop at these stores, egads, so how much money do you spend on your wardrobe? At the age of 60, I'm not willing to invest tons of money in clothes, even for quality items. There AREN'T any quality items, not anywhere.

I used to find basic classic things at LL Bean and Lands End but their styles, quality, and sizing have all deteriorated. Nothing fits me at any of these places. I order my regular size and the stuff is either too small or too big. It's ridiculous.

The only places I shop in any more are thrift stores. I find fairly quality stuff at reasonable prices. If I buy something and it doesn't work out for me, it didn't cost me a huge amount, so I just donate it.

Kohl's clothes are horrible and cheap. The styles are horrible and nothing fits. I refuse to wear clothes with cheap fake bling on them and wild prints, long dumpy tunic tops and stupid skinny pants. Who makes up these fashion rules anyway? I think there are too many cultural influences in our country which are translating into fashion cross-over but these fashions are not suitable for a person working in a conservative office environment or professional jobs. They might be fine for bar hopping and retail jobs where you don't have to look conservative and can wear skin tight leggings with a wild animal print tunic top. I can't wear junk like that at my office.

It's a shame that fashion designers are not willing to appeal to older women in their 50-60's and offer classic fashions, not too expensive. I'm willing to spend $25 on a nice top but not $40-50. Or $40 on a decent pair of pants but not $80-100. Those NYDJ jeans are just way too expensive. They are $100-120. Who in their right mind except rich women would go out and buy these.
But the more expensive things online when they have a super clearance. You would be surprised what you can get.

70 dollar tops for 20 etc. Of course you have to jump on it. I buy 90% of my things online. I live in a small town. No problem returning things either. I find it better to try on the things at home. If I don't like them or they don't fit right, I pack them up and send them back.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:32 AM

15,831 posts, read 6,898,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This is exactly WHY designers aren't willing to appeal to older women. Of course they're going to focus on younger women with disposable income who are willing to pay $120+ for a pair of jeans.
also i find i am trimming down my closet and do not need to buy as much. not only do we not want to pay that kind of price we also need less!
but it is not just the price, but the quality of fabric, and the lousy designs that are a big ripoff. this is why i don't mind sewing my own stuff, with good solid patterns. but good fabric stores are so rare where i live and their inventory is so bad.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:33 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,416,405 times
Quote:

I absolutely get what you're upset about. I finally resorted to finding a sewing lady and buy the fabrics I like for her to make my clothes from. I guess the people who design and make the clothing for Boomer Seniors think we only wear "fugly" clothes or we don't care what we look like any longer (some days that is true, for me). I happen to be tall and Boomer, so the clothing is even more difficult to find that is not 2-3" above my knees. It ends up about $70-$100./per item to have my clothing made, but that isn't much worse than Talbots, Nordstroms, Macy's, etc and I look good, they fit perfectly. I have the lady make one or two outfits a month and cut corners other ways to make up the the money outlay. Sadly, because there is no longer Home Ec taught in HS, sewing ladies are hard to find in many places across the USA.
IF I was younger and had the desire, I'd be designing for Sr.Boomers, exclusively (since 10,000 of us are retiring/day). There is the need, I am just tired and ready for retirement and not 80 hr work weeks any longer.
As for the knitting needles, I'd save them for caps & scarves.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM

301 posts, read 818,514 times
Wonderful responses from all of you - glad to see I'm not the only one who is disgusted with what the stores are offering now. I agree with those that have mentioned that even Lands End, LL Bean, Eddie Baur, and most of Macy's has gone downhill. I never shop Kohls - I see waaay too much of it on the street & I don't like the quality. I don't have an office job per se, so business attire isn't at the forefront of my closet - I usually wear casual to business casual so that is what I have been looking at. I also prefer more quirky classic to pure classic, so a few pair of skinny jeans do have a place in my wardrobe - I just wear them with looong tops. I don't shop @ Talbots mostly because my mother-in-law shops exclusively there & I don't want to match her lol! (Also, their clothes just don't fit me well.) JJill has a few nice things, as does AT, and Chico's. I wish the Nordstom's wasn't as far from me as it is, but I do have a Von Maur 2hrs away. I also buy on-line & even have good luck on eBay!

And, yes, I'm one of those Boomers that never pays full price & always strive to have a coupon!

I need to save the knitting needles for scarves because I can only seem to successfully knit flat stuff LOL!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 AM

625 posts, read 620,744 times
I totally agree with you!!

I've found some things at JJill, Chico's, Talbot's & Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus & Saks.

I'd agree with other posts suggesting thrift & consignment stores. But yes, the quality of clothes in general seems to have gone downhill severely. Even brands/stores I used to like, the quality seems to get worse each season.

It seems most stores are now catering to the young (20's and under). Target, Old Navy, Gap, Kohl's, JCPenney -- all of them -- have cheap, crappy clothes that last maybe one season --- IF you can find anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty