U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,082,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Ha! There's a six lane street between us so I haven't a clue what her face looks like. It's her clothes that just scream at me! (Thankfully, I don't see her every day.)

Oh, but that's another thing. Those patterns she wears aren't subtle. You can see them from 50+ yards away.
6 lanes? Dang, you really do need to get a life then, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:31 PM

489 posts, read 329,203 times
First. World. Problem.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:58 PM

19,178 posts, read 12,686,786 times
[quote=UB50;39394091]I wouldn't ever say anything to her. That's why I came here to rant. [/QUOT

Maybe its all she can afford. Maybe she is forced to shop at thrift stores. You don't know her story; you don't have to like her outfits, but you might reserve judgement.

I mean, you want others to not judge you harshly, no?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:02 PM

9,715 posts, read 12,994,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I mean, you want others to not judge you harshly, no?
Actually, I expect to be judged every time I walk out of the house. Why do you think shows like Fashion Police and What Not To Wear exist? People judge us. All of us all the time. Judging people is simply having an opinion and people do have opinions.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,216,616 times
Quote:
I can't take it anymore. One of my neighbors has the worst taste in clothing. She is literally hurting my eyes. Today she is wearing a floor length skirt in red, black and white stripes. Big stripes. Horizontal stripes. It's hemmed crooked.

Other days she wears this huge mid calf length solid yellow skirt and she's got another one that's baby crap beige. She always pairs this stuff with shirts that don't match and flat shoes.

My window faces her apartment walkway so I never get close enough to her to say anything (there is a street in between) -- but I wish someone would make her stop dressing so badly. It's just awful. She's like a walking "Don't" fashion page.
I think someone's taste in clothes can only be bad if they're trying to be good. If you don't care, than you're not actually "being bad" at dressing, you just are indifferent.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:52 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,645,034 times
I love mixing and matching prints. You neighbor seems pretty cool.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,645,034 times
You may want to watch some old episodes of what nit to wear. They also love matching prints.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:01 AM

185 posts, read 134,091 times
Ha! This thread is pure humor.

Okay, so you like spying on your neighbor. The pain from the visual you see has now been permanently etched onto your brain matter. You'll never forget it. I bet you have to see her every day now, to compare the last fashion disaster to the next. Now, that is interesting. I mean, you don't notice anyone dressed like everybody else. This lady is a raised nail. Eccentric, I presume with the fashion sense. I mean, anyone that would wear what you're talking about has their own style. I say, more power to her. It's like those ugly sweaters at Christmas. So bad, it's done on purpose.

Can you get some pics? This is great fun.

More fun? Look up this site called People of Wal Mart.

If she was an advertisement, she wins. Why? She got noticed. It made you look + she is memorable. In marketing, that counts big time.

Go on with the rant. :-P No no, send her information into What Not To Wear.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 AM

9,238 posts, read 10,227,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
She may be from a different culture. We get visitors from Japan who wear prints with plaids in colors that don't match and at first I thought maybe they weren't able to bring much in their luggage and then when I mentioned it to someone they said that was an actual style in Japan. Once you get used to it, it is sort of interesting at least. If you throw out all preconceived notions about what good style should be, does what she look like have any redeeming values? Bright cheerful colors, maybe? Hopefully it's at least comfortable if it's not stylish.
Quote:
Ha! There's a six lane street between us so I haven't a clue what her face looks like. It's her clothes that just scream at me! (Thankfully, I don't see her every day.) Oh, but that's another thing. Those patterns she wears aren't subtle. You can see them from 50+ yards away.
When my late wife and I traveled to Yemen we knew that it would be important for my wife to be dressed appropriately. It was surprisingly easy. Muslims didn't expect her to cover her head but just to be modest which meant not baring an expanse of flesh or wearing her hair in a ''flashy'' style.

When someone travels to a different culture it's only courteous to wear clothing that's acceptable in that culture. The new neighbor may very well be expressing her contempt for both Americans and American culture. I would begin with the church that administers this program. Let them know that residents are not pleased. If they choose to be uncooperative talk with the management of the complex. In many cultures particularly outlandish female costumes are the badge of the prostitute. This woman is likely advertising her wares.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:18 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,484,607 times
Sounds like you have PTFD: Post Traumatic Fashion Disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty