Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 AM

253 posts, read 1,106,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
I noticed that only ONE of you ladies carries pepper spray. Why is that? My Wife carries it in a convenient place and in this day and age it is a necessity.

Self defense begins with being aware of your surroundings and having the necessary means to ward off muggers, rapists or worse.

You are so right. My husband has been telling me this for years. I have met up in a few hairy situations w/ perverts. I'm lucky nothing too serious has ever happened in those situations. When I used to teach we weren't allowed to carry pepper spray. Now that I no longer teach I should get some....but if I go back into education I may be stuck again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
ok, a .38 spl is better than pepper spray...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Well shucks, looks like this backwoods granny can play too. My old bag carries all the essentials:
1 - dog biscuits fer ma critters
2 - pocket knife
3 - .38 special
4 - glasses - 'specially if I'm gonna shoot sumthin
5 - ziploc bags fer picken up small roadkill fer sundee supp'r
6 - box cutter fer field dress'n above mentioned roadkill
7 - loose buttons fer toss'n in the unmanned toll plazas

Yup. that'll do 'er

Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 12,311 times
1. Powder with mirror
2. Lip balm
3. Wallet
4. Keys
5. Cell phone
6. Sunglasses
7. Tissues
And tons of useless stuff

Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
I noticed that only ONE of you ladies carries pepper spray. Why is that? My Wife carries it in a convenient place and in this day and age it is a necessity.

Self defense begins with being aware of your surroundings and having the necessary means to ward off muggers, rapists or worse.
my pepper spray is on my keychain..... if i had to list what all was on there, would have to start another thread!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
There are certain things that a woman must have in their bags or purse. We women can't go anywhere without those certain things. I, myself have a list of my must have in my bag.
1. Powder or Press Powder
This my first must have in my bag. I can't stand having an oily face so I always bring a powder. It makes me feel fresh every time I use a powder like fresh out of shower. Of course, if you bump into someone and you don't want them to see your oily face because it makes you look like you didn't have your bath.
2. Lipstick or Lip Gloss
I put this in my must have because I want to have luscious, kissable lips. I always have 3 shades of lipstick in my bag and a neutral lip gloss. In that way, I can match my lipstick with my mood or with the clothes I am wearing. I have a shade of an innocent look pink lipstick, a red flirty one, and another one for almost everyday use that is in between red and pink.
3. Liquid blusher or Blush-on
Liquid blusher that I could use both on my cheeks and on my lips, if I wanted to have a natural looking lips I'd use this. And I use the liquid blusher on my cheeks to have a natural looking blush, which I wear almost everyday. I only use the powdered blush-on just to enhance the liquid blusher if I go to parties or work.
4. Cologne or Perfume
Everyone wants to be fragrant, don't we? It boosts up my confidence if I smell good. I love a sweet, mild smell. When someone walks up to you or if you pass by someone at least you leave them with you're the scent of your perfume.
5. Wallet with money
Of course all of us need our wallets with us certainly with money. I always have my wallet with me because I have my ID's in my wallet. If I get lost or if I get into an accident at least they will have an idea who I am or who to contact in cases of emergencies. I keep an identity card in my wallet and persons to call in these cases. I also have my credit cards, automated machine cards, pictures of my family and my boyfriend, my identification cards, and of course MONEY.
6. Cellular Phone
Maybe this isn't a must have for other woman, but for me it is. I love having to call the people I love. I always make sure that I have contact with everyone, my friends, family, and my boyfriend. This is one way that I do tell show them that I love them and I miss them.
7. Mirror and Comb or Hair Brush
Nobody wants to look like a witch with their hair. You can't prevent a windy day you know. I like to brush my hair to keep it neat and clean looking, and yes you use a mirror to see if you look fine.
So that's it, do we have the same must haves?
For me the only must haves are chap stick, keys, wallet and cell phone.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
1. Wallet
2. lipcolor
3. floss
4. pocket calendar
5. bottle of essential oils I use in place of chemical scents (not a MUST to carry in my handbag)

Old 01-21-2008, 02:01 PM

372 posts, read 1,228,298 times
1. wallet
2. smaller bag; in it - lipstick, chapstick, lip gloss, contact lens drops,extra contact case
3. makeup compact
4. mirror (for contact lens or makeup issues)
5. cell phone
6. Palm pilot
7. small notebook
8. pens
9. tissues
10. mints
11. hand sanitizer
12. keys

Wow! Can't believe I have all that and my purse isn't the size of a suitcase!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:48 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:

Self defense begins with being aware of your surroundings and having the necessary means to ward off muggers, rapists or worse
I don't carry it because it's not a necessity. Plus, the only use it would ever get would be it going off in my face as I dig through my bag. I'd rather use good judgment and years of martial arts than lull into a false security of pepper spray. If someone really wants to get you, pepper spray isn't going to do anything but make them mad. Just my opinion though.

In my bag:
1. wallet (with ID, credit cards, some cash, library card, medical cards, cab numbers, bus route times, Charlie card, and directions to my dorm from 3 subway stations for a cab driver)
2. hand lotion in the winter, baby wipes in the summer
3. lip gloss or carmex, depending on the condition of my lips that day
4. brush with a few hairbands around the handle
5. sugarfree gum and floss (after every meal... I'm like a machine)
6. pens and generally a pad of paper
7. eyedrops

I carry my cell phone, keys, and iPod in my pockets.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM

45 posts, read 104,141 times
cellphone is right, then comes wallet, all the cosmetics neded, then mint gum, car keys would be great also, well... not sure what else, maybe some other things also. ....

Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
I agree.

I guess we're just violent

Quote:
ok, a .38 spl is better than pepper spray...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty