U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 PM

2,698 posts, read 3,782,538 times

Advertisements

I currently have two holes. The main ones were pierced when I young and then closed up and about 3 years later just as they were officially closing up my mom made it happen and made the earrings go back through.

I've always been prone to ear infections and these holes are the ones that constantly get infected. If I'm sick or have a cold or anything like that my ears always get infected. My second holes are fine *knocks on wood*

Right now I know something is probably going on internally with me because the infection won't quit but I haven't been able to get in to see a doctor.

What kind of earrings can I wear to sleep to keep something in the main holes?

I'm looking up barbell type earrings because I cannot ear hoops to sleep and studs are a no go with the backings pressing up against my ears (I have rather fat earlobes I think)

Ideally I could find some earrings that are as thin as posts with two balls on each end to screw on but all these barbell and "body" earrings I'm looking at the sizing are so confusing. 25L, 10g, what in the world.

I bough some stainless steel earrings for my second holes because they were pretty but they were:

A. too thick for the 2nd holes.
  • Stem Thickness: 1.2mm (0.04')
  • Total Earring Length: 16mm(0.62")
B. too short of posts for my main holes. Like I said I have rather fat earlobe in normal times so ear infection times it's worse so only a small part of these posts showed and trying to screw on the ball was painful.

So I need longer than 16mm and thinner than 1.2mm or 0.04. I mean they were like King Kong trying to fit through my 2nd holes but they're the newer holes 2011 vs the main holes 1990.

Are plastic earrings good for sleeping? Plastic like the clear earring backing but posts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 08:50 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
One of my daughters kept having her piercings get infected like that. We tried gold, stainless steel, and anything else we could find, including the plastic earrings. But nothing helped. She would wake up crying from the pain. We finally just took the earrings out and let the holes close up. I know that's not what you're wanting to hear but it can be dangerous to have an ongoing infection like that.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I currently have two holes. The main ones were pierced when I young and then closed up and about 3 years later just as they were officially closing up my mom made it happen and made the earrings go back through.

I've always been prone to ear infections and these holes are the ones that constantly get infected. If I'm sick or have a cold or anything like that my ears always get infected. My second holes are fine *knocks on wood*

Right now I know something is probably going on internally with me because the infection won't quit but I haven't been able to get in to see a doctor.

What kind of earrings can I wear to sleep to keep something in the main holes?

I'm looking up barbell type earrings because I cannot ear hoops to sleep and studs are a no go with the backings pressing up against my ears (I have rather fat earlobes I think)

Ideally I could find some earrings that are as thin as posts with two balls on each end to screw on but all these barbell and "body" earrings I'm looking at the sizing are so confusing. 25L, 10g, what in the world.

I bough some stainless steel earrings for my second holes because they were pretty but they were:

A. too thick for the 2nd holes.
  • Stem Thickness: 1.2mm (0.04')
  • Total Earring Length: 16mm(0.62")
B. too short of posts for my main holes. Like I said I have rather fat earlobe in normal times so ear infection times it's worse so only a small part of these posts showed and trying to screw on the ball was painful.

So I need longer than 16mm and thinner than 1.2mm or 0.04. I mean they were like King Kong trying to fit through my 2nd holes but they're the newer holes 2011 vs the main holes 1990.

Are plastic earrings good for sleeping? Plastic like the clear earring backing but posts?
When I don't wear earrings for any length of time I need to wear them ALL the time, and clean them like they were first pierced. it's like the hole shrinks. Anyhow, I bought tiny hoops, with a snap back (and my earlobes are fat, too)

like these

Simply Gold 14kt White Gold 1.5mm x 15mm Hoop Earrings - Walmart.com

And I keep them in for several days. The tiny light hoop doesn't hurt to sleep in, and I am a side sleeper and the side I sleep on is the ear that's the WORST offender for this. I don't even feel it at all.

I use alcohol to clean the earrings and my ears -- I don't think they recommend that anymore, but back in the dark ages when I had my ears pierced and the earth was still cooling, that's what we were told to use, and I love the alcohol smell, so that's what I use.

After all this mishegas, I make sure I wear earrings four times a week at least. And then I don't..... and I end up having to do it again.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 PM

974 posts, read 854,616 times
I've had the closing-up problem, too. I now wear earrings 24/7. For sleep I wear a pair of surgical stainless steel rings with balls - they're called captive bead ring earrings. They are the only type I've been able to sleep in with any comfort. Hopefully this link will work.

Body Jewelry | Captive Beads | Stainless Steel - Lex and Lu

They come in different gauges. I bought mine over-the-counter years ago and have no idea what gauge they are.

I have severe allergies to many things - plastic being one - so have found the surgical steel to be the only substance I can tolerate. You might be having an allergic reaction, especially if the earrings contain nickel. Stainless steel does contain nickel but it can't leach out of stainless.

I've never been able to sleep in posts - they always stab me in the neck. These rings can twist and turn and I never notice they're there.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:19 PM

Thank you!

I know I can't wear fake yellow gold. Or really yellow gold at all. I usually wear sterling but I'm wondering if I'm getting an allergy to them.

I usually wear pretty dangling earrings and the posts are silver so I've always took that to mean they're fine. I like colored earrings and all the "sensitive ear" earring aren't always cute. My face does NOT look good with studs. I need hoops or dangling in the main holes. Like these.

I guess now I need to buy stainless steel/surgical steel posts and such and just doctor up my earrings and take off the original posts with tweezers.

I like captive beads but I don't know what gauge size and can the loops actually rotate in the ear?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 PM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
Use alcohol on the earrings before you put them in and a dot of antibiotic cream like Bactroban.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 PM

974 posts, read 854,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Thank you!

I know I can't wear fake yellow gold. Or really yellow gold at all. I usually wear sterling but I'm wondering if I'm getting an allergy to them.

I usually wear pretty dangling earrings and the posts are silver so I've always took that to mean they're fine. I like colored earrings and all the "sensitive ear" earring aren't always cute. My face does NOT look good with studs. I need hoops or dangling in the main holes. Like these.

I guess now I need to buy stainless steel/surgical steel posts and such and just doctor up my earrings and take off the original posts with tweezers.

I like captive beads but I don't know what gauge size and can the loops actually rotate in the ear?
Those are really cute! I do wear earrings like that during the day sometimes. I just take them off when I'm going to be home - I figure I'll "rest" my ears when I can and use the captive beads then.

The captive beads can slip and slide in the ear, but because of the weight of the bead, they mostly stay centered with the bead on the bottom. I think the fact that they can and do move around helps to keep the hole larger than it might be otherwise. Not grotesquely - just enough to make it easier to insert the earrings.

I have no idea how to determine the gauge size. I guess I just got lucky that mine work. Maybe there's a local store which could advise you in person?

I agree with the poster who mentioned the alcohol and antibiotic cream. That's been my go-to when my ears have become infected. The antibiotic acts as a lube, too, which really helps if your ears are already sore. My allergic reactions can be very similar to an infection (and can lead to an infection) as the skin is so irritated that it gets oozy and crusty and sore.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM

Peroxide and antibiotic cream is my go to earring and ear method. I usually soak my 2nd hole studs in a mix of alcohol and peroxide then put them in with Bacitracin. I think I might switch to Neosporin to get a triple fight on ear infection.

Peroxide burns less so I prefer it but this past week they've been bad so I used alcohol and I feel like its clearing up better. Alcohol just burns!

Old 05-02-2015, 03:36 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,720,764 times
Why not just let those holes close up? Why keep going thru this?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:38 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,713,248 times
Let them close.

No way would I ever put up with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or