U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:54 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times

Advertisements

If you work the right job, you can wear flip flops at work.

I don't think any one particular thing stands out consistently. A big smile can overcome just about any sartorial snafu, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 09:56 PM

4,434 posts, read 1,728,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
Wearing the right color next to your face can make your eye, hair and skin color stand out in a good way.
There really is something to that! Some years ago there was a book / system regarding that, called "Color me Beautiful". Ever since I looked into it, I have since always held clothing up close to my face in a mirror, prior to trying on in a store. I had learned which colors were best, what "season" I am, how the wrong colors will "drain your face", instead of enhancing it and how skin tones vary. It really makes a difference, even with wearing gold or silver Jewelry.

I know we got a bit off the subject, but this is definitely an aspect. I had mentioned about just being "put together" (not relating to what was posed), and I think if one appears appropriate, they will have confidence.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:33 PM

309 posts, read 407,780 times
The silouette that the clothes and head and body form to flatter the person and express her sense of style at that moment.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:16 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
There really is something to that! Some years ago there was a book / system regarding that, called "Color me Beautiful". Ever since I looked into it, I have since always held clothing up close to my face in a mirror, prior to trying on in a store. I had learned which colors were best, what "season" I am, how the wrong colors will "drain your face", instead of enhancing it and how skin tones vary. It really makes a difference, even with wearing gold or silver Jewelry.

I know we got a bit off the subject, but this is definitely an aspect. I had mentioned about just being "put together" (not relating to what was posed), and I think if one appears appropriate, they will have confidence.
For years I wouldn't even buy yellow because I just thought for some reason I couldn't wear it, but it makes my eyes really stand out so I wear it all the time now. Purple, green, and royal blue area also really great colors for me. I always try to dress in colors that make my facial features/skin tone stand out.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,668,284 times
I'm going to say pants/jeans/skirt ect is most important as it can define the outfit from casual or more dressy. I would say maybe shoes are second, as they also can be more casual, fun, dressy ect to.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:00 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
I think they're all important, but frankly, I think the top is most important.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:45 AM

1,381 posts, read 649,622 times
Shoes!!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:20 AM

2,198 posts, read 1,228,287 times
I also vote cleanliness and attitude.

But to answer the question asked within those parameters,
If one of those elements listed above looks really crappy, it'll bring down the whole outfit. As to what element could elevate a crappy outfit, I personally feel like the top is the best, but that's because I don't focus on shoes, and I don't always notice pants (unless they are completely inappropriate or crazy-- can we all please remember that tight yoga pants are NOT really pants- unless you are on your way to do yoga OR you have a long tunic-type top/dress that covers your rear), and I'm not really into head gear (but hairstyle/upkeep can make a huge difference- I had a supervisor once who was so put together and had great fashion sense, but always had heinous hair- greasy-looking, no style, and just unattractive- and it really took away from the awesome presentation the rest of her was making).

Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 610 times
Shoes have a lot to do with it, but wearing the nicest shoes still can't make a bad outfit look good.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:08 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Which part of one's outfit do you think is most important?
Head wear (hat, scarf...)
Top (jacket, shirt, coat,...)
Bottom (pants, skirt/dress, shorts...)
Shoes
The top and bottom combination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty