Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 PM

551 posts, read 582,587 times

Advertisements

So this is likely a silly question but I wonder anyway. Today I received a lovely dress I had ordered online. It is a stretchy fabric but when I went to put it on I heard "pop pop pop" of threads popping/tearing. Now I've had this happen before but never with something so beloved so I am concerned that the...integrity of the stitching or seams is ruined? I heard like 5 pops overall. The dress fit perfectly once on and looks great, I couldn't see where the threads were torn anywhere. So if anyone (especially with specialized sewing/design/fabric knowledge) can help me out I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 10:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
You need to look along the seams and see if you can find any spots where they've come apart. With stretchy fabric, every time you put it on those little holes in the seams will get bigger unless you sew over those spots where it's come apart...if there are any. Sometimes I've heard stitches popping like that and been completely unable to find the problem.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:31 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
When will manufacturers learn that stretchy fabrics need to be stitched with a stretch stitch? I'd carefully look at the seams, and if necessary, restitch them with a stretch stitch on the machine.

If you don't have a sewing machine, you can hand stitch with the catch stitch -- that stitch has some ease and give.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
You can either reinforce the hems with a zig-zag stitch, or use a hem tape that is made for stretchy fabrics.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 AM

551 posts, read 582,587 times
Thanks ladies! I can't see a single hole or broken stitch, which is what confused me. The dress has an overlay so I imagine where the layers join at the waist is where the popping ocurred. I also wondered why despite the stretchiness of the garment the stitching wouldn't also have some flex/give. My sewing knowledge is pretty rudimentary BUT I can handle hand sewing I'll take another look and keep an eye on it. But I'll assume it's okay for wear and not worry then. I appreciate all your help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty