U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,302,757 times

Advertisements

Yes, I care about looking good whenever I leave the house to go anywhere. I dress appropriately to the situation, so casual wear for errands, but it's always flattering, fits well, and is coordinated, and I have light makeup on and hair brushed etc. It's easy enough because I actually don't own any unflattering or ugly clothing - if it's ugly or doesn't flatter me I'll never buy or wear it, so aside from comfy lounging stuff I only wear at home, anything else I grab from my closet will be nice, it's not any extra effort. I'm a SAHM so my usual outfit is something like skinny jeans with a pretty top and ballet flats or riding boots, or sundress and sandals in the summer. I'll wear yoga-type/sporty outfit occasionally when I want to be comfy at the park or something, but then too I make sure everything is coordinated and fits nicely - no oversized men's t-shirts or baggy sweats or crocs. The only exceptions would be emergencies like being sick, running out to the doctor or pharmacy, or dropping someone off when I don't plan to get out of the car.
I feel better and more confident about myself when I look good too, and I'm not nervous about running into someone I know - and by murphy's law, it's always when you look like cr*p that you end up running into someone you'd like to make a good impression on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:27 PM

11,269 posts, read 12,481,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Whoa!!! Is that a skirt or a top???
I'm pretty sure it's a lamp shade from 1973.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:12 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,769,810 times
When running out on a brief errand I do make sure I have clean neat clothes. I really don't worry about them being co ordinated. If I expect to run into someone I know I usually do try to remember to put my dentures in.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:55 AM

5,129 posts, read 3,639,022 times
I'm sure we've all seen women who shop dressed in old tights or sloppy track pants, paired with stained old T-shirts and uncombed hair dragging their equally sloppy, dirty looking children around. The kids have a circle of food around their mouths and their hair looks like it hasn't seen shampoo and a comb for a week or so. To me, there's no excuse for this! It is just plain laziness and lack of any pride, not the fact that they might be poor. That is, unless they are homeless, then I would understand it.
Have you ever been to a poor country in the Caribbean? Even the poorest people have clean clothes on and make an attempt to look nice.Their whites are so white, it makes me wonder how they do it? lol

When I run errands, while I don't dress up, I do my hair, (I wear a non-fussy style) put on a bit of makeup and dress in clean clothes (dressing according to the weather)

Old 05-05-2015, 04:09 AM

4,444 posts, read 1,731,819 times
As I was out yesterday, at the P. O., Pharmacy and market, I had an opportunity while waiting to view others. Not that I want to criticize, but while females seem to make an effort as we have discussed here, I do wonder about men, who most times appear unkempt, sloppily dressed or like they just got out of bed. I will sometimes otherwise see men in a casual, button-down shirt, jeans and casual shoes for instance, who are also groomed, which is appropriate. But it seems mostly there are those who are unshaven, with uncombed hair and / or a hat and mismatched, sloppy clothes - to do errands.

I have wondered, if men feel less likely to bother, because they have never had it constantly projected upon them to "try harder to look nice" or what? You would not normally catch women being that undone. Sure, sometimes I will see a woman dressed simply with sports shoes and no makeup, but she still looks clean with combed hair.

I don't know, but it also makes me think how, I'll bet those same slobs would still be ones seeking nothing but a "twenty-something model" or are the same guys likely complaining about not meeting women. There is always so much regarding "perfect looking women", coming from no matter what the men are like, yet I generally do not see other than very ordinary or quite unappealing males, when they are casually doing errands.

(Sorry, I get a bit sidetracked).

Last edited by In2itive_1; 05-05-2015 at 04:22 AM..

Old 05-05-2015, 07:50 AM

14,649 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I feel good when I look good, so I dress very nicely when I am running errands. Don't care what other people wear or even what they think of what I am wearing; just dress to please myself and that means looking good.
Me too!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:54 AM

14,649 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Yes, I care about looking good whenever I leave the house to go anywhere. I dress appropriately to the situation, so casual wear for errands, but it's always flattering, fits well, and is coordinated, and I have light makeup on and hair brushed etc. It's easy enough because I actually don't own any unflattering or ugly clothing - if it's ugly or doesn't flatter me I'll never buy or wear it, so aside from comfy lounging stuff I only wear at home, anything else I grab from my closet will be nice, it's not any extra effort. I'm a SAHM so my usual outfit is something like skinny jeans with a pretty top and ballet flats or riding boots, or sundress and sandals in the summer. I'll wear yoga-type/sporty outfit occasionally when I want to be comfy at the park or something, but then too I make sure everything is coordinated and fits nicely - no oversized men's t-shirts or baggy sweats or crocs. The only exceptions would be emergencies like being sick, running out to the doctor or pharmacy, or dropping someone off when I don't plan to get out of the car.
I feel better and more confident about myself when I look good too, and I'm not nervous about running into someone I know - and by murphy's law, it's always when you look like cr*p that you end up running into someone you'd like to make a good impression on.
THIS! I don't have anything unflattering, either. And I am always saying that it takes NO more effort to put on something that looks good and is flattering as it does to wear sloppy sweats, etc. For me it is usually a sundress or capris and fitted top. My husband also looks nice to go anywhere - we live in Florida, and for him it means slim-fit pants and a nice Hawaiian shirt (or dress shirt)

Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,257,557 times
I do like to look nice it doesn't always happen. If I'm going out in the evening I might just wait until later to shower and beautify myself.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:45 AM

11,031 posts, read 6,216,041 times
I always dress in clean, appropriate clothes when I go out for errands. While I don't dress up, I don't like to go out in public looking like a slob either.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:50 AM

116 posts, read 71,717 times
Default No

Not something I ever gave a thought to. That would imply caring what others think. When one cares about opinions of others, it gives them power over you. Why do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or