U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:07 AM

13,151 posts, read 7,398,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
nope. i throw on some thing thats clean and i'll brush my hair but beyond that as long as i dont violate public decency laws im good
LOL. Great post and I second that emotion. My fiancee and I were having that discussion just the other day. She got me some of these loose cotton drawstring shorts from Walmart:

Danskin Now Women's 9" Inseam French Terry Shorts - Walmart.com

She thinks these shorts are not appropriate to go out in public, and that she got them for me to lounge around the house, get the mail, etc. I think they're fine to go shopping in. Why aren't they appropriate? They're very loose and long. It's not like they show my butt or anything. She thinks errand shopping shorts should have a more structured look, like denim shorts or khaki shorts. Why? I'm not going on a date with Target or Chase Bank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 12:12 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,429,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
When you are "on the market" you never know who you might run into.
I live in the suburbs. I run into harried married people, screaming children and retirees. None of which I'm "on the market" for.

I live in a 5-mile radius of practically everything I need. I usually run errands on my way home from work, which means I'm either in jeans, nice top or sweater and flats or I'm a hot, sweaty mess in gym clothes. Weekends, jeans and a t-shirt, maybe with a fleece sweatshirt. Sweats if I'm being really lazy. I blend in with everyone else out running errands, even if I'm in the hot, sweaty gym clothes no one bats an eye or takes notice.

I will wear my PJs and slippers to walk across the street to get the mail. I'm not going to take longer to change my clothes than the act of checking the mail takes.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:05 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,861,276 times
I suppose the answers would be very different if this was asked to a French population

Old 05-05-2015, 03:02 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I feel good when I look good, so I dress very nicely when I am running errands. Don't care what other people wear or even what they think of what I am wearing; just dress to please myself and that means looking good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetelle View Post
I try to run errands before or after gym or pilates, so I'm usually wearing yoga pants and tank top. Mascara, blush, a little lip tint maybe. I've often worked in ERs so I think "what if I had to go the ER in this?" You never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
I put on some makeup and decent clothes before I even walk out my door, even going to the mailbox. I like to look decent and presentable! Another thing is, this is a smallish town so I'm on 'acquaintance' terms with somebody almost everywhere I go.

I'm BOUND to run into someone.
^^^ this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
At a minimum, I only go out in clothing I would be comfortable being pulled over by a police officer in. Hair done (at least a put together pony tail), jeans/shorts, shirt and shoes.

No yoga pants and no PJ's.
LOL Eazine, hoping to meet a man in uniform? (I would have loved to play bad cop, but hubs is an auto mechanic, so he just threatens me with his tool )

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I would bet the deed to my house that every person who said "no" in this thread is not running errands in rags, a burlap sack, covered in sweat and/or dirt, etc. In other words, you may not don your Sunday best, but you surely do care.

Caveat: I'm talking about coming from the house. Blue collar workers running errands after work do not count.

Caveat 2: "Nicely" is subjective. Many people around where I live think jeans, boots, and a safety orange or camo shirt and hat is dressing "nicely".
+1 and it has to be a baseball cap and not flat brim!

Old 05-05-2015, 03:20 PM

8,533 posts, read 6,667,275 times
I'm with the group that feels good when they look good.

I used to go out in dirty jeans and t-shirt. After I hit 40, I changed my style and now even when I'm walking for exercise (which is usually into a store or somewhere to run an errand) I'll wear a skirt or capris and decent cotton top in the summer. It's honestly as easy to pull on a skirt as it is skeezy sweats.

I wear jeans or cords in the winter cuz it's too cold out to walk in a skirt. But they're clean and no bleach stains, and they fit properly.

I always wear at least some makeup out too. I feel best when I have it completely done, but at least foundation and lipstick.

People do notice, I get comments on a regular basis during the summer. Not so much winter. And people treat me differently too.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:25 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,785,001 times
Jeans and T shirts. Polo or Hawaiian with jeans if I go somewhere nice. Always tennis shoes. At this point in life that's good enough.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:32 PM

Meant to say I never wear tennis shoes even walking for exercise either. A good pair of leather sandals look nicer with a skirt, are cooler in the summer, and are just as comfortable. In the winter I wear boots.

Also meant to say lots of people look great in yoga pants and a tank top that fit properly. I don't have a problem with women in exercise clothing that looks good on them. Nothing wrong with a t-shirt and jeans either as long as it's not a baggy raggedy t-shirt. Plenty of really cute ones that are as easy to pull on as the old one with a Seagram's logo covering the entire front.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:54 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,302,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Meant to say I never wear tennis shoes even walking for exercise either. A good pair of leather sandals look nicer with a skirt, are cooler in the summer, and are just as comfortable. In the winter I wear boots.

Also meant to say lots of people look great in yoga pants and a tank top that fit properly. I don't have a problem with women in exercise clothing that looks good on them. Nothing wrong with a t-shirt and jeans either as long as it's not a baggy raggedy t-shirt. Plenty of really cute ones that are as easy to pull on as the old one with a Seagram's logo covering the entire front.
Yep, jeans and tshirt can look very very different

Get rid of ugly clothing that doesn't fit well and it's easy enough to look decent all the time

Old 05-05-2015, 07:29 PM

Yikes, I think I see me in that "bad look" line-up you posted EvilCookie. LOL Well, the former me. Now you know why I needed a style change.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,065,224 times
I usually run in to people when I'm out running errands in sweats, flip flops, hair up in a clip all messy - I never use to leave the house looking like such a mess, but I'm comfortable with myself so that's what matters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or