Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 AM

576 posts, read 823,611 times

Advertisements

I didn't used to care about how I look when I go to work .I work in nursing home and we wear scrubs.However now I wear light make up to work and I have been updating my work uniforms by shopping at more exepensive store since they sell nicer scrubs.So I have been wearing nicer uniforms and make sure I look nice for work.I still look profossional .

However, this lady was like "so you have a boyfriend now eh".I asked why she said that then she said because you now always looking nice and fresh and ur wearing nicer clothes etc.Then the other lady who was also sitting with us agreed and said something is up.Well these ladies are close because I started to fancy one of my co worker which infuenced me to start taking pride into my appearance.Not just for him but for myself as well.

Is it that obvious when someone starts putting effort into their appearance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
It's noticeable- especially working with some plain jane types who
never knew what a comb was or make up until I started working there.
I've always been the type to look nice-
makeup, hair clean & pretty, etc.

Unlike the chicks I work with-
greasy gross hair, look like they've never showered, etc.
Yuck!
Now at least 2 of them are still greasy looking, but they're putting makeup on, lol
And instead of tying back their straggly hair, they are trying to wear it down (which I do)

Lmao....the competition women feel.
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but that's just hard to watch
Gotta love it.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:00 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
What's really noticeable is when a person exercises, eats right, and doesn't party too much. Those things will do far more for appearances than new clothes and makeup.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I got some new jeans, hat, and shoes at about the same time, sheerly by coincidence, because my old standbys started badly wearing out simultaneously.

Every woman at work and around was like, "Lookin' good!"

Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
there's no diet like the divorce diet...

Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Yup, it's obvious. I'm the one who doesn't wear makeup to work most of the time. Hair is always done, though. It's such a small group of us that it doesn't make me uncomfortable, and we've all been working together for over 10 years, so eh.... they're like family you see everyday. They always tease me when I do wear makeup to work... they think I may have a hot date. LOL

However, new company that bought us up is now preparing to move corporate types into our building... sooooo...I'll be wearing makeup again. Ugh...now I'll have to get up that much earlier.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:10 PM

403 posts, read 597,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there's no diet like the divorce diet...
Lol!

Old 03-06-2015, 03:22 PM

403 posts, read 597,567 times
People definitely notice when I put effort into my appearance. I get wayyyyyy more attention from guys (and girls too) when I take care of my body, do my hair and makeup, and dress nicely. Sadly, that is not always the case though. I am very lazy and don't usually put the extra effort into my appearance.

I am not technically overweight anymore (5'8" 155 pounds) but imo I still look and feel overweight. But I'm not super overweight and I have nice curves so with the right clothes I can luckily flatter my body. That's not to say I look as good as someone who is 5'8" and 135 though, that's my goal weight. My face without makeup is pretty good, but usually so many women my age (19) wear makeup, my face without makeup doesn't compare. Also my hair is super long and thick so when I take care of it, it looks great. However when I don't, it looks greasy, and tangles very easily.

I need to start putting more effort into my appearance though, no questions about it. I like the attention I get, and also it makes me feel better and have more confidence. It's really a win-win here. I need to be much better about this.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:37 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
People notice. And, they always seem to claim its because you have a love interest,lol. Sometimes it really is something you do to feel better about yourself.

I dont agree that wearing makeup is an important factor, expecially in a place like a nursing home. Makeup and heavy floral perfumes can trigger allergic responses from the patients, and makeup always seems to make people look older - sometimes even clownish depending on their skill with it.

Its good that a coworker has motivated you, good luck with him! Keep it up and continue doing it for yourself if that doesnt work out.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,047,572 times
I'm normally the type to have a several different bags and shoes throughout the week at work, and get complimented as being a "fashionista". Lately, however, I've been keeping it to one bag and two pairs of shoes, and my coworkers notice. It's surprising if my bag doesn't match. I think it's the winter and not being as creative—I tend to stick with variations Brown's, blacks and greys, this time of the year. Springtime is usually when I incorporate more color. In my wardrobe. A coworker recently told me she was thinking of me when she bought a zebra print belt (I tend to like animal prints). I guess it does rub off on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty