U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 PM

72,701 posts, read 64,172,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I can't stop laughing at the idea of men in culottes. The ones posted by someone (female model) were what I'd refer to as gauchos. The culottes I remember (from the 80's) were always above the knee and of a more flimsy fabric. Imagining men in them is hilarious.

http://www.virtualvintageclothing.co...1390751626.jpg
http://scruffybadgertime.co.uk/wp-co...culottes-3.jpg
https://threedresses.files.wordpress...vogue-pose.jpg
Those aren't culottes, those are what was called a "split skirt". The floor-length version was popular in Europe, and very elegant-looking. The split was hidden in pleats, so that they looked like a long pleated skirt. They were said to be extremely comfortable. A student in one of my college classes had one that she bought in Spain. If anything available in the US along those lines had been so well-made: wool twill fabric, pleats, high-end design, they would have been very popular, though expensive.

The shorter ones were designed to look feminine, like a skirt, but to have the modesty advantage of pants, i,e. women didn't have to worry about the skirt hiking up or being blown upward by the wind, or whatever. They were designed to look feminine yet be practical and comfortable. They were a hybrid garment that was supposed to have the best features of a skirt and pants, both.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-06-2015 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 PM

2,726 posts, read 3,691,600 times
I have seen Europeans wear capri looking pants. I don't really like them and think they look silly. I am getting tired of the long shorts for guys as well. Cargos, IMHO, should be out of style as well. I refuse to wear any of those basketball type shorts that are below the knees.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:39 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,092,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I rendered no opinion on "the men's "shorts" that go down to mid calf or right above the ankle".
My point being that they both look essentially the same, with the capris being a bit more tailored. Can't think one is ridiculous but the other is not.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:44 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,282,375 times
Quote:
Is there anyone who does not think that they look hilariously ridiculous?
Eh ... I suppose that I could theoretically be willing to wear them to a costume and/or Halloween party.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 AM

3,484 posts, read 5,554,106 times
Quote:
I know what I'm talkin' 'bout. I saw a few (not many but a few) men...yes MEN, wearing them. Maybe they were European men but I absolutely saw them and was like whaaaaahhhh. It was quite a site - a bad one.

http://www.denimjeansobserver.com/ma...gewear-03x.jpg
Denim casual pantsuit?? Looks like something Hillary Clinton would wear when vacationing at Ted Turner's ranch in Montana.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 AM

489 posts, read 324,621 times
Quote:
I know what I'm talkin' 'bout. I saw a few (not many but a few) men...yes MEN, wearing them. Maybe they were European men but I absolutely saw them and was like whaaaaahhhh. It was quite a site - a bad one.

http://www.denimjeansobserver.com/ma...gewear-03x.jpg

Edit: Kinda looked like the pic in that link but they were a little tighter and the guys were older - I would guess in their late 50's or so. And they weren't denim, but soft cotton. And I should mention that I'm in Boston and walk about 15 min through some touristy areas on my way to the subway after work on most days. They may have been tourists? I don't know but it was definitely men and they were definitely wearing culottes.
I think the word you're looking for is "Capris" not culottes.
Culottes are long flared shorts that look like a knee length skirt, but allow women to do activities such as bike riding without flashing people.

The outfit linked above is beyond hideous. I'd rather see him wander around town in flannel Spongebob pajamas.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:00 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,191,475 times
I haven't seen pants like the ones OP linked worn by men, but I have seen hipsters wearing carpi/pedal pusher type pants.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:16 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,079,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Ever wonder how many humans already have their "make fun of" arsenal already built up just for you and your choice of clothing?
^^^THIS!
I learned long time ago that anytime you make fun of somebody, there are 10 people who think you look stupid.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:13 AM

5,017 posts, read 4,830,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
^^^THIS!
I learned long time ago that anytime you make fun of somebody, there are 10 people who think you look stupid.
Really? That seems like a strange thing to learn. How did you learn that? And is it 10 people every time? That's pretty consistent. Is this always the case?! And what are the conditions? Like if a person makes fun of someone in their own heads but says nothing to anyone else, does that person still have 10 others making fun of them? Or do they have to verbalize it to someone? If so, how many do they need to verbalize it to?

This is a really interesting statement and really impressive thing to have learned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or