U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 PM

72,819 posts, read 64,283,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
I didn't know you should only wear watches with leather bands with suits, until I stumbled upon it, lol. Nor did know your socks should always match your trousers. Love that site!
Yeah, judging by all the photos I see of guys wearing suits or dark khakis with white gym socks, more guys need to read sites like that. You'd think stuff like that would be obvious, but no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 05:14 PM

2,582 posts, read 1,384,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
What other little rules about suit wearing are there that I might not know!?
Don't blow your nose with your silk pocket square!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,423,569 times
LOL, such rules.. I remember reading about the length of a tie. Apparently, the bottom of it must fall right in the middle of your belt. No higher, no lower. Or bad things will happen.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 PM

2,351 posts, read 4,934,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know anyone that pays attention to those "rules" unless attending the Academy Awards or perhaps giving away their daughter at a formal wedding when there could be critics around. Button or not based on comfort, being able to move, whether sitting or standing. I wore a suit to work for 17 years and never buttoned at all, nor did any of my co-workers other than the CEO when he was at a board meeting.
This my be good advice or it may be terrible. It depends on where you are (apparently). Obviously you don't live someplace where people pay attention that stuff. If you were, doing that in the northeast and it was a formal affair it absolutely WOULD be noticed. Same goes at any kind of big business.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:01 PM

15,296 posts, read 7,156,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
LOL, such rules.. I remember reading about the length of a tie. Apparently, the bottom of it must fall right in the middle of your belt. No higher, no lower. Or bad things will happen.
Because it makes your midsection look out of proportion when higher or lower.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:20 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,468,873 times
Then again, when I was younger and wore suits regularly I matched my socks to my tie and was considered one of the best dressed men in my company, particularly by women... so just have your own style and own it.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:11 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,775,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I wear suits plenty. Mostly to work but on the occasional night out as well. While I am very aware of that particular "rule", I would be willing to bet big money that nobody at your event scrutinized or made fun of you or thought you were an idiot.

And I tried to rep Convextech but need to spread it around first. Elitist rag indeed.

Other rules? Gosh, don't know - match your belt to your shoes, match your socks to your pants. I don't know.
Match your tie (but not your shirt) to your suit. E.g. blue suit, blue tie, contrasting (white or pink or taupe) shirt. No, nobody cares, but you asked. Also, I like to dress up.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:20 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,445,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
Then why does the internet seem to make such a big deal about it? Once I started Googling it, this is one of the first things that came up (from Esquire):

There is a scourge upon us. It's not pestilence, or war. It's something more subtle and nefarious than that. Guys the world over have forgotten a cardinal rule of dressing themselves: Don't button the bottom button of your suit jacket. Ever. It's the quickest possible way to make yourself look like you don't know what you're doing (and like you just gained ten pounds). So don't do it.
Still having trouble with this concept? Don't worry. There's even a quick mnemonic to help you out: sometimes, always, never. That's how often you should button each button on a three-button jacket, from top to bottom. For a two-button, it's even simpler: always, never. Never. That's how often you should button your bottom button.
Please make a note of it.
For an "elitist rag" (which they are), their definition of "mnemonic" is a bit different than mine.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:23 AM

9,353 posts, read 8,749,848 times
Down the road, no one will remember what you wore; however, they will always remember how you made them feel.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:48 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,739,353 times
Seems like everything has been covered.

I have never heard about the leather watch band only with a suit, I won't be adhering to that one.

One other note, with a new suit leave the outside lower pockets sewn shut as it will help the jacket retain it's shape for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or