Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:37 PM

146 posts, read 639,682 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed is that the women from working class (poorer economically) families usually have a different look than a woman who works in a professional setting. I am not talking about during the work day but on evenings and weekends also.

Working Class women have a distinct look and choice of haircuts, makeup and clothes.

Does that make white collar women more attractive than blue collars or not?

How do you see the beauty of white collar vs blue collar women?

Last edited by Oregon Transplant; 08-18-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 03:42 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,923,826 times
I'm just curious as to how you would know if someone is blue collar or professional outside the work setting.....I would really have no clue.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm just curious as to how you would know if someone is blue collar or professional outside the work setting.....I would really have no clue.
Spend time in any nice mall with mostly White Collar Professionals on a Saturday and look at the people. See how they talk to each other, move, dress, interact, etc. Then go to the working class part of town and go into a public place. The people in general could not be more different. Open your eyes!

I am talking more about working class people than someone is a $100,000 Plumber

Last edited by Oregon Transplant; 08-18-2008 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM

730 posts, read 2,879,566 times
This is really not a true statement. There are plenty of nice malls near me and there are all kinds of people in there. Blue Collar people make money, sometimes a lot of money. You really can't generalize about an entire segment of the population this way.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,254,589 times
Absolutely.

"On paper" I am what you might even call "ghetto" if you looked at my stats. Teen pregnancy, high school dropout, college dropout, have had mostly lower wage jobs, live in a poor neighborhood, drive a used car...

My mom did office work and later worked as a welder's helper, then in the air conditioning/heating business and as a maintenance person for hotels. Definitely a blue-collar background (and no $100k plumbers either). I spent a good part of my youth in a trailer park.

You would never guess if you met me or saw me at the mall. If you spoke to me, watched how I carry myself, my mannerisms, I could totally "pass" for the white collar women you refer to. Why? Because I am an autodidact, with a strong sense of self, strong vocabulary skills, and basic class which can't be bought.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 PM

77,692 posts, read 59,834,099 times
My sister and I both came from a blue collar family.
She got her masters from one of the best schools in the country.
I guess I don't find your premise to be accurate.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:28 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,828,475 times
Class & poise are what makes a woman really attractive, not just the outward accoutrements of clothes, hairstyles, and corporate jargon. Would you consider a hairstylist blue collar? Because if you do, mine gave me a history of Victoriana and the state of SC, which is how she and her partner got to name their salon. Excellent manners, perfect English and an overall knowledge of current and past events. Perfect example of class, not crass!

Old 08-19-2008, 05:33 AM

I think most posters are assuming I am doing a value judgement of the pros and cons of working class vs wealthier people. I am not but understand that in most cases there is a definite look of MOST working class people. Talk to any casting director!

Which look is more beautiful?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,457,575 times
I think working class women in general are sexier and less boring - even though I am an upper middle class professional I still favor long hair, big gold jewelry and sexy clothes - just like a so called "low class" person even though I am highly educated. I agree there is a "high class" look and it is very easy to fake - just get some boring conservative clothes and a "soccer Mom" haircut - ie boring bob.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,731,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I think most posters are assuming I am doing a value judgement of the pros and cons of working class vs wealthier people. I am not but understand that in most cases there is a definite look of MOST working class people. Talk to any casting director!
Given your other posts, it's just about guaranteed you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty