U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:09 AM

639 posts, read 1,452,920 times

Advertisements

Just bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this one, my last 2 bags have been The Sak, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 10:11 AM

5,177 posts, read 3,001,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
All right, you all have inspired me to unpack all of bags today. It's been too damn long.
You never know what you may find. Sometimes there's money!

CCc girl. We had a woman at work like that. Had everything in her handbag. We called her "Rexall." But good for us because if you needed it, she had it.

I hung out with a lot of free spirits in the Eighties and none of them carried handbags. Guess who got asked if she'd just, please, put this camera or whatever in your purse for me? I got so tired of carrying everybody else's stuff that I learned how to go without a handbag for quite a while myself.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:42 AM

9,457 posts, read 15,025,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
You never know what you may find. Sometimes there's money!

CCc girl. We had a woman at work like that. Had everything in her handbag. We called her "Rexall." But good for us because if you needed it, she had it.

I hung out with a lot of free spirits in the Eighties and none of them carried handbags. Guess who got asked if she'd just, please, put this camera or whatever in your purse for me? I got so tired of carrying everybody else's stuff that I learned how to go without a handbag for quite a while myself.

Well, a little OT here, but I can relate! I frequently find myself stuck in a wheelchair, due to rheumatoid. Usually its for doctor visits, airports, or wherever I feel its simply too long a haul. Well, I got sick of doubling as everyone's pushcart! My "entourage" would pile on me their coats, purses, whatever.....I would try to hint----you know, you don't really need your coat, its warm inside and just a short walk----but they would take everything they owned with them and then literally pile them on me! I didn't have the option like AP of just not using it, so, one day, I just dropped things. Where's my purse? Oh, did you put a purse on top of me? I don't know, guess it dropped off somewhere back there......I really did shove some of their crap off me, I couldn't even see over the top! Well, we found the purse, but funny, she never asked me again to carry her stuff!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:32 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,961,653 times
Good work, Marylee! They should have been more respectful but sometimes you don't get respect unless you just take it.

Current purse? Ah, I think it's the same dark red leather one that I've been using for the past four or six years or so. It's probably good for a few more years since it's pretty sturdy and still in good shape.

Now for my knitting project bag, that's a different story. Since the angora shawl I'd been working on is finished, I've switched from the blue paisley Vera Bradley bag to a more lush looking but smaller open tote that we made in quilting group awhile back. It's brocade florals; mostly maroon and gold with a bit of green, matching moss green interior and maroon velveteen bottom. Once the current knitting project is finished, then I'll probably change to a different project bag depending on the size of the project. Or maybe the next project will be to make a bag, I never know what the next one will be until it's started.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:51 PM

13,167 posts, read 7,403,965 times
I don't buy a lot of handbags, because I learned when I hit my 30s that buying leather was well worth spending the extra money because it lasts longer and looks sharp. I just bought two identical handbags from ebay in different colors: River (deep blue), and cherry red. I bought the first one, and as soon as I received it, I was so pleased at the design and quality I wanted another in a different color. They retail for $138, but because they were department store seconds, I got each of them for $32 with free shipping. The thing I like best about them is that they have the smoothest zippers of ANY handbag I have ever owned, including my lone Coach. They also are the perfect size, don't have tons of compartments, and have an adjustable shoulder strap, a must for me because I'm short.

Elliott Lucca Faro Medium Satchel - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Elliott Lucca 'Medium Faro' Leather Satchel | Nordstrom

Old 05-16-2015, 04:30 PM

18,885 posts, read 12,490,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
very cool, silibran. I would wear that as a crossbody.

Lodeestar, I see the bohemian in you! Very courageous!

Keep on rockin' y'all!!!!!!!!
CCc, I wear it both ways!

I like lodestar's purse too. I'd carry it.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:46 PM

5,177 posts, read 3,001,131 times
I'm all about leather, also. Buy a good one and it lasts for years. I had a Liz Claiborne shoulder bag that would have outlived me if the cat hadn't accidently gotten locked in the closet and had to relieve herself.

I've been trying to find an online picture of my Harley bag with no luck. I use it all year around and it's so full of compartments you could lose things in there. It has extra room if you open zippers on the sides so you can use it as a weekender (if you don't plan too many outfit changes.) It'll hold a clean shirt, pjs, underwear, socks and basic toiletries so it's great for our motorcycle weekends.

It's utilitarian but also dressy enough to use with a good pair of jeans, boots and coat. Looks like this denim one but is black leather with a modest sprinkling of flat silver studs. No contrasting top-stitching and the logo is embossed rather than in your face. The leather has more crisp lines than this fabric, of course.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:01 PM

9,457 posts, read 15,025,607 times
Here's one I just ordered, waiting for it to arrive

Old 05-16-2015, 06:32 PM

230 posts, read 153,184 times
^ Ooo that is pretty!

Today: Vintage Prada Perforated Bowling Bag in Burgundy with White Trim

Old 05-17-2015, 02:20 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,815,704 times
Nice, Kate! I have to break out a Prada, they sleep too long. But it's black so it will be awhile.

I passed on this Lauren bag yesterday, I hate top zip closures that are visible and not set down below the rim. It screams cheap to me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or