U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2015, 07:21 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 2,992,112 times
Reputation: 3019

Advertisements

I also thought I was ugly in high school because in my high school popular equaled pretty. I can look back now and see many popular girls who weren't all that attractive, but back then it didn't matter. If you were popular, you were considered pretty.

As far as height on a man, since when is 5'10" a bad height?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2015, 07:46 PM
 
2,491 posts, read 1,738,573 times
Reputation: 4257
From what you say I suspect you are applying your makeup asymmetrically, and inconsistently. Hence, the appearance of your face from day to day, and once you've dated a guy a couple times, you're over-confident, and so you just slap the stuff on, and, of course he says you're ugly - because you don't look like you did the first two dates.

Just remember: foundation evenly placed hairline to neck, ear to ear - every time; go easy on the rouge; your hairdo should complement your face structure, and carefully tended to every date. [I saw a couple of films on this in Prelinger Archives - one is "Fitting Faces" by Paramount. I suggest you view it - some things never change] There's another one, the title I can't recall (the woman looks like Ernestine Tomlin).

Anyways.....At your age just assume you're good looking and do whatever you need to do to look your best. Some of the best guys have odd taste in women anyway. And by the way, always stick to guys 10 to 15 years your senior; that sorta puts you in the "trophy girl" category. Less competition for you, you know where he's at, and he likely has more money.

Just remember: You only go around the block once! Best you realize it before it's too late. That's the important part.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-10-2015 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,107,092 times
Reputation: 12900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
As a guy I have a very nice face, but since I'm under 5'10" I'm generally not considered "attractive". Maybe it's because I'm divorced at a young age and that makes anyone who isn't a desperate single mom lose interest. Or maybe it's because I don't have any neanderthal features and actually look presentable.

I'm not sure what I need to do whether it's get a dozen tattoos, go back in time to drop out of high school, or just start injecting steroids, because that seems to be what's in vogue for "attractiveness" these days. It doesn't matter how much I run or work out naturally, doesn't matter how educated I am, neither seem to be attractors because I'm just not "thug" enough.

My second best friend is 5'5" and has a lot of trouble getting dates despite looking good, dressing well, having a bit of money and toned muscles. For him to attract a girl over 5'1" is nearly impossible, and even then they'd rather hold out for taller (and thuggier).

But you're "only" 5'9", good luck getting any women over 5'6". I lose around 40% of my dating pool just because of society's height requirements.
Bitter much? I'm a "desperate single mom" and I wouldn't be interested in anyone with your kind of attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
6,317 posts, read 4,459,958 times
Reputation: 9733
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Some guys say "you are ugly" if you are not willing to give sex for them or please them (as they would be master of the worlds). So don't mind them. People who call others ugly are inside ugly. I am saying it does not mean you would be ugly in that matter, it could be just one insult among others. Have you seen what a bully culture this is? Don't take it into your heart, some people grew up to be mean. That does not mean they would be right.

Some people who don't get their way say "you are ugly".
This is sooooo true! Guys know a lot of women are insecure about their looks and use it to manipulate them.

OTOH, most of my male friends over 40 will think a girl is attractive *just because* she is young. It's like some guys equate youth = beauty when it might not.

And then some guys will of course tell you that you are beautiful to try and get in your pants.

So idk if you are "conventionally attractive" or just young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 06:02 AM
 
1,958 posts, read 1,336,126 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvx View Post
I have a distorted view of my physical appearance. I've been told I am ugly by my family members, some friends and strangers. However, I never had any problems getting attention from guys since I can remember. These guys are usually physically attractive, but then some of these guys will tell me later how ugly I am as well. I do get looks from people, mostly from men. I do not dress or act promiscuous. I don't make friends easily even though I am a nice person, and people are not nice to me right away like I have heard that beautiful people often experience. It takes time for people to realize that I'm actually a nice person and it's usually a word they describe about me after getting to know me.

So I do not know if when people look at me, they are looking at me because I look odd, ugly or if they find me attractive. I grew up believing I was ugly and pretty at the same time. If I think I look good, then somebody will usually prove me wrong. When I look in the mirror, I do think I look good, but the camera tells me a different story and so do some people tell me otherwise. I feel like I have two faces literally. My face is very asymmetrical. One side looks like beauty while the other side is the beast, which can look like a monster sometimes.

Post a picture of yourself wearing a cocktail dress or something like that. I'll tell you the truth, but in a nice and constructive way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 06:16 AM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi and South of Bluegrass
4,124 posts, read 3,409,769 times
Reputation: 8705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvx View Post
I have a distorted view of my physical appearance. I've been told I am ugly by my family members, some friends and strangers. However, I never had any problems getting attention from guys since I can remember. These guys are usually physically attractive, but then some of these guys will tell me later how ugly I am as well. I do get looks from people, mostly from men. I do not dress or act promiscuous. I don't make friends easily even though I am a nice person, and people are not nice to me right away like I have heard that beautiful people often experience. It takes time for people to realize that I'm actually a nice person and it's usually a word they describe about me after getting to know me.

So I do not know if when people look at me, they are looking at me because I look odd, ugly or if they find me attractive. I grew up believing I was ugly and pretty at the same time. If I think I look good, then somebody will usually prove me wrong. When I look in the mirror, I do think I look good, but the camera tells me a different story and so do some people tell me otherwise. I feel like I have two faces literally. My face is very asymmetrical. One side looks like beauty while the other side is the beast, which can look like a monster sometimes.
How do you know if you're attractive or not?

Well, do you really believe you are unattractive? Or is this maybe just a self-esteem issue based on the mixed results from others as well as your perspective based on those perceptions.

Take care of your mental, emotional, spiritual, nutritional and physical health, and perhaps your perspective will change. It certainly won't hurt and can only help your confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 06:40 AM
 
3,201 posts, read 3,395,727 times
Reputation: 4407
unless you're just vain and delusional i would think that men/women dont really think of themselves as being really attractive

you literaly see yourself differently than others see you (kinda like the same way youre hearing your own voice on a tape recorder...it sounds nothing like the way you hear yourself)

on top of that, you see flaws that noone else may notice

people will tend to think they are attractive based on response they get from the opposite sex

If a guy is being constantly jocked by various women...he will start to think he is the bomb

women are a bit different. they may get cues from other women. mainly hate and jealousy . cant really base your attractiveness merely on a mans response because as we all know there are men that will get with anything that moves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 07:13 AM
 
5,053 posts, read 4,861,086 times
Reputation: 11792
So your family, friends, and strangers tell you your ugly? BS.

How does that work? You're walking along and some stranger stops in front of you and says "I'm sorry, I don't do this often but I just felt compelled to tell you how ugly you are".

Here's the thing - if a woman tells you you're ugly, she's jealous. If a guy tells you you're ugly, he's being rude. But if a kid tells you your ugly...then your ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Chicago
827 posts, read 1,291,809 times
Reputation: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
This is sooooo true! Guys know a lot of women are insecure about their looks and use it to manipulate them.

OTOH, most of my male friends over 40 will think a girl is attractive *just because* she is young. It's like some guys equate youth = beauty when it might not.

And then some guys will of course tell you that you are beautiful to try and get in your pants.

So idk if you are "conventionally attractive" or just young.
I never understood this. Why would a guy want to sleep with a woman if he doesn't find her attractive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,850 posts, read 774,416 times
Reputation: 5396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvx View Post
I have a distorted view of my physical appearance. I've been told I am ugly by my family members, some friends and strangers. However, I never had any problems getting attention from guys since I can remember. These guys are usually physically attractive, but then some of these guys will tell me later how ugly I am as well. I do get looks from people, mostly from men. I do not dress or act promiscuous. I don't make friends easily even though I am a nice person, and people are not nice to me right away like I have heard that beautiful people often experience. It takes time for people to realize that I'm actually a nice person and it's usually a word they describe about me after getting to know me.

So I do not know if when people look at me, they are looking at me because I look odd, ugly or if they find me attractive. I grew up believing I was ugly and pretty at the same time. If I think I look good, then somebody will usually prove me wrong. When I look in the mirror, I do think I look good, but the camera tells me a different story and so do some people tell me otherwise. I feel like I have two faces literally. My face is very asymmetrical. One side looks like beauty while the other side is the beast, which can look like a monster sometimes.
Post a picture of yourself and let those that see it comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top