Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

DIY. I'm really good at it.

The only time I've gone to a salon has been when it's been part of a bridesmaids' "spa day" or similar. The last two salon manicures I've had have been of lesser quality than I can do on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 10:31 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
After getting a nasty case of nail fungus, I now only do my own. Not going to risk that again :/

Old 05-11-2015, 12:13 AM

324 posts, read 407,151 times
Mani Pedi once a month in the salon. I can't cut my cuticle and shape my nails as good as it's done in the salon. I change my polish weekly which I do myself.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:07 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Pink and white acrylics every three weeks at the salon.

My nails were paper thin until I changed my diet. I got sick of all the chipping and breaking, started doing the acrylic dip at home, then realized I wasn't saving any money because I was doing repairs every night. The salon acrylic is way better than the home stuff.

I do my own pedis. I don't use polish anymore, just buff them.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Curious, how can you get by with just once a month? Do you just remove the polish yourself when it starts to chip, then keep them unpolished until your next appt?

I haven't seen any salon charge only $20 for a LONG time. Usually at least $40, which is $50 with tip. My last pedi was $75 with tip. More reasons I do it myself.
Where in TX are you? I'm in Houston, and my sister lives in Austin. Pedis run about $30 in both spots routinely. The fake nail full sets for solar is about $30, but a fill every other week is about $15. I'm not sure about manis, but I believe they're only about $20 max. My sister is addicted to pedis. She is a mother of two on a tight budget, so when it comes to pampering herself, she buys a pedi rather than anything else. I don't like going to get my nails doen. I hate them touching my feet. It makes them hurt when they use their instruments on them. And I don't like the fake nails either. They look, well, fake. So I just chew them, but not to the low and painful level. It's a bad habit I've had all my life. When I want to pamper myself, I buy a new leather handbag on sale on ebay

Old 05-11-2015, 11:33 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Curious, how can you get by with just once a month? Do you just remove the polish yourself when it starts to chip, then keep them unpolished until your next appt?

I haven't seen any salon charge only $20 for a LONG time. Usually at least $40, which is $50 with tip. My last pedi was $75 with tip. More reasons I do it myself.
The polish doesn't chip. It stays fine until I go back. Only time the polish gets messed up is if I break a nail off. So no. I don't even remove the polish myself.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I also would never do acrylic.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:21 PM

I love my acrylics. It takes a hammer to break them. Cleaning horse stalls, repairing fences, changing tires, limbing trees, wrangling heavy car parts, shipping and packing (I do a LOT of that) you name it, I won't break a nail doing it.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I love my acrylics. It takes a hammer to break them. Cleaning horse stalls, repairing fences, changing tires, limbing trees, wrangling heavy car parts, shipping and packing (I do a LOT of that) you name it, I won't break a nail doing it.
Agreed. The only time they break is when someone does my nails who is no good. It's one woman who knows my grandmother, so I always get her doing my nails. So I started asking for other people when I go in. because she's the last one I want.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM

My saloon folk are all good, thankfully. They just changed owners and the new folks are good. Now they've settled in with the clientele and I get the same guy unless he's not there.

I broke one last week lifting a fifty pound box the wrong way. Luckily it just cracked clean across without lifting up from the nail and I was able to wait until my regular time to get them all done and the one fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty