U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:40 PM

15,690 posts, read 8,787,561 times

Advertisements

I maintain my own nails. I push back my cuticles after showering when they're soft, buff them lightly once a week, and use cuticle cream and hand cream nightly. Sometimes, I polish my nails with a clear nail strengthener like Nail Envy from OPI, particularly if I'm allowing them to grow for a special occasion. I cannot handle nail salon fumes and can only imagine what the chemical exposure does to the people who staff those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM

9,465 posts, read 15,045,414 times
I like Gel Envy by Revlon, along with the clear top coat. I've found its lasts a long time, and really looks like salon nails.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:22 PM

2,707 posts, read 3,792,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I do my own. Usually while watching TV.

Mine grow long, fast and strong. I've been doing them since i was like 10.

I did the salon a few times and didn't see a big difference. I can't justify the costs or time.
I'm the same except I do them while on the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
DIY. I'm really good at it.

The only time I've gone to a salon has been when it's been part of a bridesmaids' "spa day" or similar. The last two salon manicures I've had have been of lesser quality than I can do on my own.
Same.

I wear a french manicure most of the time and people are amazed at my smile lines. I've been doing them for 15 years first with regular polish and now with gels. I can easily free hand it and not use a brush to clean up the smile/half moon or use the strips. My hands are very steady at this point and its relaxing for me because I can take all the time I want to get them how I want.

I agree with them being lesser quality than my own work. I'm a perfectionist so I've truly perfected the art of doing my own nails.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:59 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,374,603 times
Sounds like gel at home is the way to go...its so expensive here though...about 20 a bottle.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:11 PM

4,243 posts, read 3,035,805 times
DIY manicures.

Salon pedicures in summer. DIY during the rest of the year when I don't generally wear open shoes. For some reason my homemade pedicures never look that great. They're decent enough so that my feet look okay, but not good enough for sandals.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 PM

35,822 posts, read 39,431,510 times
I hate the at-home gel manicure products because they are at least double the cost of traditional polish. Not worth it, to me.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:06 PM

10,544 posts, read 4,684,240 times
Have never had my nails (which are non-synthetic & don't require specialized maintenance) done by somebody else (at least, not a compensated professional).
It's just not A Thing that I would do, since I feel adequately capable of doing it for myself-and for no more than the cost of materials.
Every so often-once the polish wears/chips off-I trim (w/clipper), file (w/emery board), and paint them.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 AM

4,096 posts, read 4,060,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I hate the at-home gel manicure products because they are at least double the cost of traditional polish. Not worth it, to me.
I haven't tried gel (at home or salon). Did you find the gel polish didn't look or last better than regular polish?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,515,313 times
I don't bother with finger nail polish because my hobbies are too rough on my hands and it won't look good for more than a few hours. For pedicures, I do those at home. I'm too cheap to pay for them regularly. I will probably have to pay for pedicures in a few months when I'll be too big to do them myself due to pregnancy. Once I'm back to normal I'll go back to doing them myself.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:23 AM

35,822 posts, read 39,431,510 times
They don't look significantly different, to me. They're slightly more durable, but still aren't going to last long with average wear and tear. To me, it's not worth the more costly two-bottle system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or