U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:06 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times

Advertisements

Salon. I can't paint my right hand for anything and the polish never stays on for more than a day!! Plus it's a treat for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 03:02 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
My nails on my hands are short and natural.

Manicure - I used to go to the salon even though I am generally frugal. My feet are too far away from my head and if I do manicure myself, it looks horrible. $20 well invested.

I got lucky with my bf, he offered and his manicures are at least as good as in the salon.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:08 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,096,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
After getting a nasty case of nail fungus, I now only do my own. Not going to risk that again :/
Yes, I got a plantars wart a long time ago from a salon. They knicked my toe and a wart developed. Thank goodness it's gone now.

Now I do my own mani/ pedi. It scared me, because they don't clean their things well enough.

This was a majorly high end salon too.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,848,160 times
I would like to do salon, but I just don't have time for it anymore. I don't do them at all. It's just something I had to let go in order to have other things in my life.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:32 PM

40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times
I get a mani-pedi once a month. In between I do my own fingernails if they need it, and toenails (I'm pretty good at that!). But my husband is a "hand and foot guy" and besides that, I'm a southern girl and it's sandal season around here for about 9 months out of the year - gotta keep those toes cute! I honestly don't even think I have any close toed summer shoes unless you count my tennis shoes. I bet I have thirty or more pairs of sandals though.

i just have shellac/gel in a very neutral buff color on my fingernails, which I keep short and neat because I am always doing some sort of "hand intensive" project - usually involving paint or digging around in the yard (I do wear gloves though). It usually lasts at least two weeks, sometimes till my next appointment if I'm lucky. If not, I just soak them off and paint them in a clear polish till next time I need a pedicure.

But I can get creative or loud with the toenails! Right now mine are electric blue.

Just had all that done today in fact!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:01 PM

4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
I WOULD go to the salon every two weeks if I had the energy and could afford it. My feet have horrible calluses and I am not diligent enough to keep after them. Anyway, so I go every couple months for a mani/pedi -- costs $30 at my local Vietnamese salon.

I was sooo glad when the long, squared-off nails went out of style and short, natural nails came in, because I could then stop getting the acrylics. And I feel like obvious French manicures are sooo dated. I see that long, oval nails seem to be coming back, but I'm too old now to keep up with that trend. I get mani's to keep my cuticles in check, but I just get a light transparent shade like OPI Bubble Bath, and then something colorful on the toes, which last much longer than fingernails.

I wonder if maybe Florida outlawed the cutting of cuticles and calluses, because the salon doesn't do it anymore, I just realized...

Old 05-16-2015, 05:21 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,810,094 times
Around here long and square is the rule. Oval you see only on elder gals (over 70).

They file/use the grinder for cuticles.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,211,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Around here long and square is the rule. Oval you see only on elder gals (over 70).

They file/use the grinder for cuticles.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I've seen much more short and long oval nails the past year. I notice the long oval because it's the first time I'm seeing it myself. Lots of fashion magazines and tv/movie stars and musicians are sporting the look. It's the long square which is seen as old fashioned now.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:12 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,140,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just wondering, ladies--

Do you routinely do your own nails, or have them done in a salon? I say routinely, not an occasional professional salon job for a special event, like a wedding, etc.

Outside of my wedding, I've never had my nails done in a salon. It just isn't part of my routine. I find the time and cost just something I can't justify. I also feel a little squeamish about the sanitation, hygiene, etc of some salons. I think I do a pretty good job myself, anyways.

OTOH, some people think a professional manicure is almost a requirement for good grooming My cousin actually rescheduled a weekend trip because she needed to get her nails done

So, ladies, what do you routinely do---professional, salon, or at-home DIY?
I'm with you. I do my own. So many reasons not to go to a salon.

1) Fungus's
2) Money (stick that money in an IRA instead!)
3) Toxic chemicals. Just walking by a salon in the mall makes me feel like I'm killing off brain cells
4) Many of these women are being totally exploited
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/ny...cted.html?_r=0

I'm not much of a "must do because everyone else does" person.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:25 AM

40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Prices around here:

Manicures range from $20 to about $45, depending on whether or not you get a simple manicure, gel, acrylics, "special effects," etc.

Pedicures range from about $25 to $55 depending on what all you get done as well.

Polish changes are about $5.

I've been going to nail salons for over twenty years and I've never gotten any sort of fungal infection. The common practice around here is that with each new customer, the nail tech opens up a sealed bag of sanitized instruments and in between customers the chairs and/or table tops are sprayed down with a disinfectant - at least that's what I've observed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or