U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:10 AM

8,658 posts, read 4,806,374 times

Advertisements

I confess that I have never had a professional manicure or pedicure; not even sure why, but I just haven't. I think it's probably for the same reason that I avoid getting my hair done professionally: the pressure of having to make small talk until the ordeal is over. I would like to start getting pedicures, so if I can find a place where no one speaks English, it could very well happen soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 03:07 AM

11,443 posts, read 19,482,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I don't bother with finger nail polish because my hobbies are too rough on my hands and it won't look good for more than a few hours. For pedicures, I do those at home. I'm too cheap to pay for them regularly. I will probably have to pay for pedicures in a few months when I'll be too big to do them myself due to pregnancy. Once I'm back to normal I'll go back to doing them myself.
Me, too. My nails are so flexible, that polish lasts a few days, if that. Add to that they grow quickly. I file them twice a week to keep them up. I do go through phases where I chew my fingers and polish stops me. During those phases I keep up the polish. when the stress eases, the urge to chew also eases.

I find that daily moisturizing with Barielle nail cream helps a lot. It won't make my nails strong, nothing will, I genetically have crappy nails like my Dad, but it does make them more hardy -- able to take what I dish out. Lucky for me, I like my nails short, and they look much better that way. My mom had long strong beautiful nails and when they were short (rarely did she break a nail...) they didn't look right at all.

My nails long look really bad. Flat, broad and fan shaped. Long, I have to file down the sides, the very thing you aren't supposed to do. Short I keep them sort of squared up and tapered at the side.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:51 AM

9,148 posts, read 3,961,613 times
I worked at a salon years ago and was taught how to do a basic mani/pedi so I do them myself and they look great. However I've started to get deep ridges in my fingernails which is hereditary (mom has it also) so even with ridge filler, nail hardener, 2 coats of polish and a strong top coat they would start splitting. So three weeks ago I got the gel/shellac nails. Didn't really care for them, they looked too thick and the tips get chipping anyway.

So yesterday I told the nail tech that I wanted the shellac off and acrylic put on. I specifically told her I wanted squoval shaped and not too thick. Well apparently these days they put the shellac/gel garbage on top of the acrylics. They never did that years ago when I used to get acrylics. So now they look fake and thick, like the cheapest press on nails you can find. :-( I'm going to call them when they open this morning and tell her I need them redone.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:11 PM

20 posts, read 9,086 times
DIY! I've had my nails done maybe twice at a salon in my life.

I just don't like the "out there" type of nails, due to my work (as a nurse) I can't keep very long nails, usually only 1-2mm or two from the tip of the finger.

A quick 10-15 minute DIY job is much easier and less costly not to mention that in a salon you inhale those toxic fumes.

Not sure why I think just a simple gloss over is much better than any professional job.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:28 PM

18,967 posts, read 12,554,800 times
I get pedis at a local nail salon. I can't do a pedi for myself, so I feel lucky to be able to afford them.

For my hands, I basically do cuticles and file my nails myself. My nails are so soft and easily broken, I simply like to have them presentable. I don't like to waste money and time on them otherwise.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:06 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,516,455 times
Salon. I don't have steady hands. So just easier to get them done. It's not that expensive, and they can last up to a month. Usually every 2 weeks to get them done. I I have gone almost 2 months with them still holding up alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or