U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:06 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,025,607 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, ladies--

Do you routinely do your own nails, or have them done in a salon? I say routinely, not an occasional professional salon job for a special event, like a wedding, etc.

Outside of my wedding, I've never had my nails done in a salon. It just isn't part of my routine. I find the time and cost just something I can't justify. I also feel a little squeamish about the sanitation, hygiene, etc of some salons. I think I do a pretty good job myself, anyways.

OTOH, some people think a professional manicure is almost a requirement for good grooming My cousin actually rescheduled a weekend trip because she needed to get her nails done

So, ladies, what do you routinely do---professional, salon, or at-home DIY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 01:44 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,479,585 times
Salon, all the way. I don't have the patience or the eyesight any more to do them myself.

However, to me, a "professional manicure" can be not exactly what I am looking for depending on the salon.

Where I live, many if not most salons are Asian/Vietnamese families. And I'm not sure if it has to do with culture or the high volume of customers, but they use their cuticle nippers to an extreme when you ask for a manicure, they don't soften and then push back the cuticles. I end up with raggedy, rough cuticles a day later.

But if I just need a polish or a shellac, I go to the salon and ask for exactly that.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:00 PM

18,718 posts, read 4,706,572 times
I do it at home, never had a mani or a pedi..Don't care for nail salons, I don't use nail polish on my hands,
I sometimes use it on my feet but they are sensitive so I prefer to do it myself.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:17 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,576,385 times
I used to have a standing appointment -- every 2 weeks mani, every 6 weeks pedi. Now I do my hands myself, but I still go for pedicures b/c I'm just not as limber as I used to be and can't get the nails trimmed evenly.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:36 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,671,042 times
DIY for sure.

never had nails done in a salon, im much to cheap for that haha. I paint my nails usually, favorite polish is essie (buy on ebay for much less then store price) and i will do my own nails if i want fake ones on, which isnt often.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:12 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,212,898 times
Just don't be that girl who thinks she can do her own acrylic nails with a kit from Sally' s. I have a FB friend who is ALWAYS posting pics of her nails and her mother's and they are hideous. Thick and clumpy like elephant nails. Then of course she adds every bead and glitter in the state. I don't comment but I cringe every time I see her post come through my feed.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:23 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,538,605 times
I get a mani every couple of months or so, usually when I have a trip or some occasion when I'd like to look nice. During the spring/summer, I'll get a pedi every month or so.

I generally don't do DIY beyond basic maintenance (cutting and shaping when they're getting too long to type). I can't polish with my left hand, and as a plus sized woman, I can't comfortably reach my feet well enough for that kind of detail work.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:27 PM

19,636 posts, read 53,511,196 times
Do my own weekly. I have my podiatrist clip my toe nails

Old 05-10-2015, 04:38 PM

13,166 posts, read 7,403,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Just don't be that girl who thinks she can do her own acrylic nails with a kit from Sally' s. I have a FB friend who is ALWAYS posting pics of her nails and her mother's and they are hideous. Thick and clumpy like elephant nails. Then of course she adds every bead and glitter in the state. I don't comment but I cringe every time I see her post come through my feed.
LOL at that one. Thanks for the good laugh on a sad day for me cyn. I needed that

Old 05-10-2015, 04:45 PM

4,084 posts, read 4,052,014 times
I do my own regularly. Nice looking nails are important to me, but I believe I do as nice of a job as most salons, and my own seem to last much longer.

I am a nail polish nut. I probably have 50-60 colors right now (and I do toss out colors periodically). It's easy to justify buying every color I see that I like, because it costs a whole lot less to buy a new color I want to try rather than pay a "professional" to paint my nails with it.

I love that it's warm weather now so I can wear my fun neon pinks and corals!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or